Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

88.9 Alpena off-air?

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
cckadlec

88.9 Alpena off-air?

Post by cckadlec » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:27 pm

Hey all,

I am trying to solve what may be a mistake in one of my bandscans, or perhaps not.

88.9 is reported to be WGZR in Alpena, The Catholic Light.

However, when I did my bandscan of Alpena (right near downtown) at the start of the month (9/3), the frequency is just left off the bandscan. There isn't a ton to hear there, but all frequencies that were blank, I wrote them all down and added a dash beside them. This one is the only one missing outright in my list. It seems I would have noticed if there was a strong local on it though and added it in.

Then some miles up the road in Harbor View (Presque Isle Lighthouse), I logged a station on the same frequency as "faint," meaning there wasn't even enough of a signal to figure a format. Basically, something was there way back in the static, probably 100-150 miles out.

All of this makes me believe the station was off the air at that time. If it were on, I more than likely would have noticed a mistake on the Alpena scan and it would be far stronger, at least strong enough to know what was what, at Harbor View. Furthermore, Radio Locator lists it as "Currently Off the Air" though the station website continues to list it (perhaps it's easier instead of editing everything). If this is the case, I wonder why it's off.

Any thoughts or ideas for anyone who happens to live in Alpena (hard to believe there will be many up that way to help though).
[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies and the Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide documentary at http://www.beaglebass.com/dxTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. / 101 mi. ene of Milwaukee ]

Mars

Re: 88.9 Alpena off-air?

Post by Mars » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:50 pm

I hear they have been moving the antenna from a temporary location to it's higher licensed location on the WATZ tower in Hubbard Lake South of Alpena.

A1B1C1D1

Post by A1B1C1D1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:36 pm

It was off air since March, but they filed recently to return at a lower height.

Mars

Post by Mars » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:33 pm

They were back on the air at that lower height for only two weeks. In the last week or so they completed the original cp filing of about 600 ft above ground. Coverage is now quite good.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:25 pm

It seems that 91.3 Tawas was also off the air, this one on August 6th. I was hearing WGTE //91.5 WICA that day in East Tawas at 5dBu. 91.3 Tawas is run by the same company and with the same programming as 88.9.
[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies and the Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide documentary at http://www.beaglebass.com/dxTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. / 101 mi. ene of Milwaukee ]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic