Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 11-14-2017 at 8:00p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

Want to know Buzzboard readers' thoughts on the Cumulus debt restructuring proposal? Check out the thread in the "Broadcasting - General" forum!

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

106.3 Interlochen is now on the air

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
ftballfan

Re: 106.3 Interlochen is now on the air

Post by ftballfan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:05 pm

94.9 Scottville and/or 96.7 Cadillac, along with 95.3 in Indian River, should consider a classic country flip. All are likely getting killed by TCM in their own backyards.

jaydubs

Post by jaydubs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:06 pm

I've been listening to this via streaming for the first time in a while and I have not noticed a single commercial, TOH (or any) station ID, jingle, bumper...anything. Just what seems like a never-ending MP3 collection from some hipsterish iPhone. Is this what the on-air product is like, too, or are they running some sort of alternate stream for some reason?

hunterw

Post by hunterw » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Also I'm in manistee and 107.7 is smile fm. Did they change or sell 107.7?

Milk

Post by Milk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:27 pm

hunterw wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:25 pm
Also I'm in manistee and 107.7 is smile fm. Did they change or sell 107.7?
Yes.

jaydubs

Post by jaydubs » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:23 am

It must have been a temporary automation problem (although it took them a couple of days to figure it out)... it sounds more like an actual radio station once again.
jaydubs wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:06 pm
I've been listening to this via streaming for the first time in a while and I have not noticed a single commercial, TOH (or any) station ID, jingle, bumper...anything. Just what seems like a never-ending MP3 collection from some hipsterish iPhone. Is this what the on-air product is like, too, or are they running some sort of alternate stream for some reason?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:41 pm

You raise a good point, Mr. Dubs.

Does this station (106.3 The Mitten) have any paid advertising yet?
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:09 am

ftballfan wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:05 pm
94.9 Scottville and/or 96.7 Cadillac, along with 95.3 in Indian River, should consider a classic country flip. All are likely getting killed by TCM in their own backyards.
Your are incorrect in thinking that WTCM has very much listening north of the TC area. In the Straits including Charlevoix/Petoskey/Harbor Springs area the main country station by far in ratings is WMKC. Since Doc Benson built it in 1982, it's been THE local country station that is to that area like WTCM is to Traverse City. 95.3 in Indian River is an afterthought as is the WTCM satellite (WBCM 93.5). The main country stations in Northern Michigan are WTCM to the south and WMKC to the north. All the others including the newer country stations are not winning the loyal listeners away from those two stations. Look at how poor WLDR did against WTCM and the same goes for WBCM against WMKC.

The other point to consider with your post is WCBY in Cheboygan. It's an Classic Country AM, but it has a translator that just screams all over the tip of the mit! I've listened to a solid signal as far away as Onaway to the SE of their tower site. This station is a sister station to WMKC, so it's being sold by the same sales people.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:32 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:41 pm
You raise a good point, Mr. Dubs. Does this station (106.3 The Mitten) have any paid advertising yet?
Does this station have a staff? I can tell you that the format is pretty horrible and I have yet to meet anyone who has it on. My wife (an excellent litmus test for these kinds of things) complained once about the rotation getting really stale then never tuned it in again.

I've always said that having a station and running a station are two entirely different things.
(C) 2017 TC Talks. Assembled in U.S.A.

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:15 am

The Subway store here in Kingsley had it on for awhile. Lately they've had their radio set to 104.5 though. I heard it on one BATA bus once too. But yeah they've already run their playlist into the ground. Good idea, horrible execution.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:54 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:15 am
Good idea, horrible execution.
X2

Playswithtrucks

Post by Playswithtrucks » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:47 pm

Thank you for the mention of WCBY. The 100.7 translator (licensed to St.Ignace) does get out nicely. (said the guy who reads the weather..)

When Doc B put WMKC on the air (Rick Stone and myself plugged in the tower lights for the first time on Halloween 1981), there was WTCM (fully automated and rather lackluster compared to what they are today), WCBY AM("Super Country") and WSUE playing country. The radio market was drastically different. WBCM was WCLX (it might have been country too, I can't remember). From the moment WMKC went on the air, it developed quite the loyalty and when Doc put the tower up above Harbor Springs, the signal was amazing.

Tim
tvbobn wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:09 am
ftballfan wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:05 pm
Your are incorrect in thinking that WTCM has very much listening north of the TC area. In the Straits including Charlevoix/Petoskey/Harbor Springs area the main country station by far in ratings is WMKC. Since Doc Benson built it in 1982, it's been THE local country station that is to that area like WTCM is to Traverse City. 95.3 in Indian River is an afterthought as is the WTCM satellite (WBCM 93.5). The main country stations in Northern Michigan are WTCM to the south and WMKC to the north. All the others including the newer country stations are not winning the loyal listeners away from those two stations. Look at how poor WLDR did against WTCM and the same goes for WBCM against WMKC.

The other point to consider with your post is WCBY in Cheboygan. It's an Classic Country AM, but it has a translator that just screams all over the tip of the mit! I've listened to a solid signal as far away as Onaway to the SE of their tower site. This station is a sister station to WMKC, so it's being sold by the same sales people.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:32 am

I'm not sure why 95.3's owner thought a third station playing ostensibly the same music was needed.

A gold based country station would've been a much better idea. 95.3 reaches many areas WCBY cannot reach reliably.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:55 pm

When he built 95.3, he said it was going to take over the country audience in the Straits area. 95.3 isn't even a factor these days in ratings or sales! Dollar yoller and still can't sell them. Without a real fulltime sales team, 95.3 is never going anywhere. If you haven't driven the coverage of the WCBY translator, don't count them out. The tower site covers a lot of people with a great signal.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:05 am

If the WWSS fellow is chasing ad dollars in Cheboygan, that is definitely a tough hill to climb! Black Diamond has it covered very well.

Petoskey? That's probably even a tougher hill to climb! Not only do you have Black Diamond, you also have Mac-Gar. Good luck trying to pry dollars away from WMKC and Lite 96.

Gaylord? You have Blarney Stone and the Radio Eagle groups to contend with.

There was no lack of listening or advertising options before 95.3 came along. As a standalone, it's a challenging situation. Airing a format found on two other FM signals with superior coverage just seems unwise to me.

I will say this - a 95.3 / 95.9 combo would be interesting. Other than parts of Otsego, Charlevoix and Antrim counties, their coverage is mutually exclusive. Would have Cadillac, Traverse City, Houghton Lake, Gaylord, Petoskey (potentially), Charlevoix, Cheboygan all covered. Only WTCM-FM and KLT can credibly say the same. Rock 105 comes close; their 95.5 overachieves in Cadillac relative to predicted coverage.

A 104.5/95.3 pairing might also be interesting. How badly does terrain affect 95.3's signal in Petoskey and the 'Voix?

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:39 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:05 am
If the WWSS fellow is chasing ad dollars in Cheboygan, that is definitely a tough hill to climb! Black Diamond has it covered very well.

Petoskey? That's probably even a tougher hill to climb! Not only do you have Black Diamond, you also have Mac-Gar. Good luck trying to pry dollars away from WMKC and Lite 96.

Gaylord? You have Blarney Stone and the Radio Eagle groups to contend with.

There was no lack of listening or advertising options before 95.3 came along. As a standalone, it's a challenging situation. Airing a format found on two other FM signals with superior coverage just seems unwise to me.

I will say this - a 95.3 / 95.9 combo would be interesting. Other than parts of Otsego, Charlevoix and Antrim counties, their coverage is mutually exclusive. Would have Cadillac, Traverse City, Houghton Lake, Gaylord, Petoskey (potentially), Charlevoix, Cheboygan all covered. Only WTCM-FM and KLT can credibly say the same. Rock 105 comes close; their 95.5 overachieves in Cadillac relative to predicted coverage.

A 104.5/95.3 pairing might also be interesting. How badly does terrain affect 95.3's signal in Petoskey and the 'Voix?
What or where is a station on 95.9?

I'm not sure what you're trying to create? These owners have their areas and aren't thinking of just buying another radio station to pair up a couple stations to cover areas that they don't have sales teams to cover. It has proven not to work very well for the investment.

You may think that every Northern Michigan radio station owner has one goal, to cover TC. That is not the case. When Northern Star had it's two FM's near TC with decent signal's there, they still made a lot more money from their stations to the north. WMKC is the station that pays the way for the others.

Pairing up a couple stations is more for ratings than dollars. Running two stations that try to cover entire market area won't do as well dollar wise as running them separate. Example, WTCM is a Traverse City station. WBCM is a Boyne City station. The country folks in the Petoskey/Charlevoix/Boyne City area don't want to listen to a TC station when they have a real local station (WMKC) to listen too. If you're in Harbor Springs, why would you be interested in TC businesses? They don't, that is why WBCM doesn't have a big share of listeners for a 50Kw radio station. They would do better by operating it as a stand alone on a format other than country, but only if they had a sales team to sell it. Do they have a full-time sales team in the area or is it just some WTCM sales people coming north a day or two a week to work a few accounts??? They can still pair up ratings of both stations for national/regional agency buys.

I don't know if you realize, but WWSS is part of the Eagle group. It's a father and son that own those stations. I've heard that it's the Gaylord sales team that comes north to sell for WWSS to cover that area. Finding sales people is all but impossible these days, so owners have to use the best people they can find to sell for them by sending them out distant areas.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:44 pm

On your last point, in fact I did NOT realize that - thanks for the info. Was completely unaware.

The 95.9 I'm referring to is WLJW. Class C2 facility that transmits from the same tower as WJZQ (Z93).

https://radio-locator.com/info/WLJW-FM

I suppose mileage varies in terms of the pairings. You mentioned WBCM earlier. Would be curious to get your perspective on WKLZ.
When Northern Star had it's two FM's near TC with decent signal's there, they still made a lot more money from their stations to the north.
Multiple factors in play. A 100 kW stick with Country that has been in-format for many years should naturally out bill a modern rock station.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:57 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:44 pm
On your last point, in fact I did NOT realize that - thanks for the info. Was completely unaware.

The 95.9 I'm referring to is WLJW. Class C2 facility that transmits from the same tower as WJZQ (Z93).

https://radio-locator.com/info/WLJW-FM

I suppose mileage varies in terms of the pairings. You mentioned WBCM earlier. Would be curious to get your perspective on WKLZ.
When Northern Star had it's two FM's near TC with decent signal's there, they still made a lot more money from their stations to the north.
Multiple factors in play. A 100 kW stick with Country that has been in-format for many years should naturally out bill a modern rock station.
I forgot about that religious station on 95.9. It's not likely that they would sell anyway.

I did some checking and found about the same info about WKLT/WKLZ as I mentioned about WTCM/WBCM. Both stations discount their northern station to get sales on them. WKLT shows up in the ratings, but WKLZ is really poor ratings wise. From time to time, they have someone on the street in the northern area, but can't tell if they're sales people from the southern station coming up or someone living in the northern station area selling on a regular basis.

I found out that both WWSS-95.3 and WMJZ-101.5 are now listed for sale. I also heard that they've been selling on the street for $3 for both stations, so my post above was wrong. WWSS is not $1, but is $1.50 for a spot. Whoever purchases these to stations, better have deep pockets to keep them afloat!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:30 pm

Seems like both Black Diamond and Coynes would like a Gaylord group.

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:22 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:30 pm
Why would they want either of these stations after they've been selling spots for $1.50?

It will take forever for a new owner to get spot rates up to a reasonable rate after local advertisers have been buying at these low prices!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:31 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:30 pm
Remember, Gaylord would count against the market caps.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic