Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Williamston/Webberville Tornado Coverage

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
ChrisWL1980

Williamston/Webberville Tornado Coverage

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:42 pm

Just trying to bring this section back to life...
So who had the best coverage? I watched WILX's streaming coverage (the incentive being that the tornado was moving into Livingston County) and thought the meteorologists did a good job.
Gotta say Jordyn Burrell does not impress me though... she pronounced the word "debris" as "debreese."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Williamston/Webberville Tornado Coverage

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:48 pm

Gotta say Jordyn Burrell does not impress me though... she pronounced the word "debris" as "debreese."
That is too funny! If that is representative of the "talent" that works in Lansing TV these days, I feel very sorry for the folks who live in that TV market.

Channel 7 was on-air live from the moment the Williamston / Webberville area tornado warning was issued, presumably because it was moving fairly quickly toward Livingston County. Channel 4, which covered the southern Genesee warning live, I believe waited until western Livingston went under a warning to come back live.

Former WLNS meteorologist, Blake Harms, did an outstanding job on WOOD-TV's live storm coverage. He was one of three meteorologists who were on-air there as the storms raced through Kent and Ionia counties.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

JoeGebhardt

Post by JoeGebhardt » Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:24 am

I wasn't able to watch WILX but I was WLNS. It was fine. Felt like David Young was trying to please the audience and not be on-air as much as he probably could have been. Also felt like they downplayed the tornado when the debris signature was obvious. I don't think Fox 47 cut in at all.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:40 am

I wasn't watching WILX or WLNS, but Ahmad Bajjey was live on WKBD50 in Detroit when the Williamston/Webberville thing was forming, and immediately called it before the warning was issued.

He was watching the radar sweeps and saw one that was "concerning" and on the very next one he got visibly affected and then switched to the "debris field" setting and called it a "tornado on the ground" and said everyone from there to Webberville needed to be in their shelter place.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:17 pm

I really like Ahmad. He is a very good presenter, and knows his stuff. I consider him "Gary England" of Michigan.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic