All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WKAR's Experimental Station

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
KevakaTheGr8

WKAR's Experimental Station

Post by KevakaTheGr8 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 am

I heard that WKAR requested for a license for an experimental statio, and according to their website, they were one of the first public stations to get an ATSC 3.0 station. Their post talks about experimenting with technology, but does anyone know anymore invite information about the channel?

sfpcc

Re: WKAR's Experimental Station

Post by sfpcc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:56 am

Try Wikipedia.

Also, this link might help www.wkar.org

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:44 pm

KevakaTheGr8 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 am
I heard that WKAR requested for a license for an experimental statio, and according to their website.....
WKAR-TV - Experimental Channel 35

https://fccdata.org/?appid=25076ff36245 ... facid=6104

djb

Post by djb » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:37 pm

From Engineering documents submitted to FCC:

Board of Trustees, Michigan State University (MSU), the licensee of WKAR, East Lansing, MI (Facility ID: 6104) is requesting Special Temporary Authority (STA) to operate an experimental facility on a vacant channel in its market in order to evaluate the new ATSC 3.0 standard.

Should the Commission grant MSU authority to operate the proposed experimental facility, MSU plans to begin operation by September 2018. MSU recognizes that it can only continue operation on Ch. 35 until Phase 3, at which time WAQP (Saginaw, MI) will move to Ch. 36. The proposed experimental operation is predicted to cause interference above 0.5% to the WAQP Ch. 36 post-transition operation; therefore, prior to the Phase 3 testing phase (starting 4/13/2019), MSU will either apply to use an alternative channel for its experimental ATSC 3.0 operation or cease operation entirely.

The summary results of the post-repack transition study show that the proposed facility is predicted to cause more than 0.5% new interference WAQP (Ch. 36 at Saginaw, MI) and the Class A station WOLP-CD (Ch. 35 at Grand Rapids, MI). [Note: both interference cases have been highlighted in yellow in the attached summary results of the interference study]. WAQP has been assigned Phase 3 as its post-transition construction date while WOLP-CD has been assigned Phase 6 as its post-transition construction date. As mentioned above, MSU will either apply to use an alternative channel for its experimental ATSC 3.0 operation or cease operation entirely prior to the start of the Phase 3 testing date (4/13/2019) in order to avoid this interference issue.
The proposed facility will comply with all FCC out-of-band emission requirements for fullservice DTV stations through the use of a mask filter. MSU will make a good faith effort to identify and notify local health care facilities within the predicted serivce area of its proposed operation on Ch. 35.

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:29 am

KevakaTheGr8 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:52 am
I heard that WKAR requested for a license for an experimental station.......... does anyone know anymore invite information about the channel?
FCC Grants WKAR Experimental License To Explore Future Of TV

http://wkar.org/post/fcc-grants-wkar-ex ... -future-tv

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:20 pm

Courtesy: TV Technology Via TVNewsCheck

3.0 To Enable New Services For Public TV

The CEO and co-founder of the Public Media Company discusses WKAR’s inaugural 3.0 rollout for public TV and Next-Gen TV’s broader impact

https://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/marc ... -public-tv

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:38 pm

This begs the questions:

1 - What will you pick up on 35 with a current ATSC tuner?
2 - What exactly are the "new" services compared to current system?

Sorry, but I melted enough of my brain cells figuring out all the intricacies of how NTSC worked back in the day, I really haven't followed ATSC other than what I needed to learn to get current TV's operating. I've been out of TV since 1988, so I really don't keep up with the tech.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:15 pm

Ed Joseph wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:38 pm
This begs the questions:

1 - What will you pick up on 35 with a current ATSC tuner?
2 - What exactly are the "new" services compared to current system?

Sorry, but I melted enough of my brain cells figuring out all the intricacies of how NTSC worked back in the day, I really haven't followed ATSC other than what I needed to learn to get current TV's operating. I've been out of TV since 1988, so I really don't keep up with the tech.
1 - You won't pick up anything with a current ATSC tuner. ATSC1 tuners are incompatible with the ATSC3 standard. You will need a separate ATSC3 tuner. Sometime in the future new TV's will have the tuners built-in. There are also plans to market ATSC3 tuner sticks that can plug into HDMI ports on current ATSC1 sets and perform the conversion from the incoming RF feed, not unlike a digital-to-analog converter box (only smaller). Neither are available to consumers as yet.

2 - As I understand it ATSC3 will provide additional data services and interactive capabilities not currently available with ATSC1. Internet-connected devices such as routers and mobile devices will be manufactured with the ability to capture ATSC3 signals. This will expand the availability of program feeds and services beyond TV sets to PC's, smartphones, tablets, etc. The idea is to put TV broadcasters on a more competitive playing field with their broadband counterparts by offering more services and interactivity.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

RingtailedFox
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario

Post by RingtailedFox » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:37 pm

You'd get "Weak or No Signal" with an ATSC tuner, becuase it's expecting an 8-bit Vestigal Sideband (8VSB) modulated digital signal, and this is putting out coded orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing (COFDM), similar to DVB-T and DVB-T2. That uses multiple carriers spread throughout the channel, instead of a single primary carrier to lock on to.

Now, there was some speculation that if a station used "Carrier in Carrier" technology, it might be able to broadcast a signal that could be picked up by either ATSC 1.0 or ATSC 3.0 sets, but I don't know how that would work...

Let's not forget that ATSC 1.0 uses the ancient MPEG-2 video codec. ATSC 3.0 is using the shiny, brand-spankin'-new High Efficiency Video Codec (H.265/MPEG-H)... so even if it could lock on to the signal, somehow... it would say something like "Mode Not Supported" or "Video Codec Error" or even just a black screen. ATSC 3.0 also supports up to 3840x2160p (4K video) at up to 120 frames per second (compare this with just 1920x1080 at 30-60 frames per second for ATSC....

See the table i helped compile with others on Wikipedia for further info on this subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast ... on_systems

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:35 pm

Courtesy: TVNewsCheck

Michigan State’s WKAR Adds Comark 3.0 Solution

"PBS member station WKAR Lansing, Mich., is on-the-air with a fully integrated ATSC 3.0 solution from Hitachi Kokusai Electric Comark. In late 2017, WKAR ordered a 20kW Parallax UHF transmitter system on channel D33 to replace its existing and aging DTV transmitter. WKAR’s Parallax transmitter was configured as a main-standby in 1+1 redundancy."

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/more-ne ... -solution/

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:43 pm

So, 8VSB vs ATSC 3.0 in terms of coverage area. Any significant improvement? 8VSB totally sucks in terms of coverage as opposed to original NTSC analog. Will the 8VSB signal be more robust than the 8VSB? It's just sad you have to put up a tower and antenna just to get signals 35 miles away. It has destroyed the "portable" aspect of television service. Some stations have lost a LOT of area.

Edit to add: HD radio suffers the same fate. I really wish they would have went with Khan's system or DRM. On AM, it's just a noise generator IMO. I think C-QuAM would have been more successful if not for the "let the marketplace decide" bullshit, and I'd LOVE to see it come back.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic