All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Spring Ratings: WITL's dominance is back

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
SpartanAM

Spring Ratings: WITL's dominance is back

Post by SpartanAM » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:34 pm

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb195

And WJIM has had its highest book in years.

WITL-FM 11.8 8.8 6.6 10.2 Country Townsquare Media
WFMK-FM 8.5 7.3 7.0 8.4 AC Townsquare Media
WJIM-FM 9.2 9.5 9.4 8.4 CHR Townsquare Media
WMMQ-FM 6.9 7.1 7.3 7.4 Classic Rock Townsquare Media
WJXQ-FM 4.5 3.9 3.8 4.4 Rock Midwest Communications
WJIM-AM 1.7 2.0 1.9 3.3 News/Talk Townsquare Media
WWDK-FM 3.3 3.9 3.1 3.0 Country Midwest Communications
WLMI-FM 2.6 2.9 2.6 2.3 CHR Midwest Communications
WQTX-FM 0.9 N/A 1.2 1.2 Sports Midwest Communications
WVFN-AM 1.7 1.0 0.9 1.2 Sports Townsquare Media

She's got the tower... She's got the power...

audiophile

Re: Spring Ratings: WITL's dominance is back

Post by audiophile » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:18 pm

Maybe they gave the FM shares to the AM by mistake.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:36 am

audiophile wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:18 pm
Maybe they gave the FM shares to the AM by mistake.
Wittle 1010? That would be a trick! :razz

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

fairbankshockeypuck

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:16 pm

WVFN...does it get out six city blocks or more after sunset?????

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:36 pm

Duke is laying a dookie...

Their share over time will continue to sag. Stale playlist, boring jukebox sound, worn out imaging liners.

WITL and WFMK both sound great! So does 97.5! Not surprised in the least that Wittle is #1 and that FMK and Now-FM are tied for second.

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:57 pm

Oh don't be so hard on The Duke! I LOVE The Duke! They play the era of country music I like and prefer. I don't like most of that new garbage dubbed as country music...sorry WITL!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:30 pm

Duke is boring and repetitious. I also do not like the reverb in their audio chain; sounds unnatural.

Station would sound so much better with a live airstaff that engages with the audience!

I am sure the low budget programming is by design. Midwest doesn't want to hurt the numbers of their Country station in Battle Creek, Win 98.5. WWDK delivers a very good signal to the Cereal City - stronger than predicted contours even suggest.

I loved the Classic Country format WCXI in Fenton programmed years ago. FAR better than what's currently offered by 94.1.

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:14 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:30 pm
[Duke] would sound so much better with a live airstaff that engages with the audience!
Bingo! I've said that from day one.

Duke targets an audience that would thrive on real-time interaction. This is WITL's 80's and 90's audience, and having been around those parts at the time, I can attest that listener involvement was (and still is) a critical ingredient in Wittle's success. A live human can form a personal rapport with listeners that a jukebox just can't achieve. Country listeners, especially, will identify with good communicators behind the mic. I like the music Duke plays, but the station is missing that personal touch that would draw more people in. Even if non-critical dayparts were voice-tracked, it would be an improvement.

That being said, I can understand a business model in which there is little or no overhead, and from what I have heard, this is how all Duke stations within the Midwest chain are programmed. I don't pretend to know what the overall objective of the Duke format is, nor do I know the programming philosophy behind it. From a ratings standpoint, my personal opinion is that the addition of live, local air talent would be a benefit. From a revenue standpoint, it all depends on whether Midwest management is satisfied with the ad dollars the station is bringing in as-is. I'm just an old(er) sentimental radio fart who longs days gone by.

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:52 am

I listen to The Duke online quite often. And I tune in when I am in the listening area. I really can't stand 90% of this newer country music. I like hearing not only what I like but also what I know. It's a niche channel I think and that suits me just fine.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:56 am

I agree. Duke does have a good music mix. I think, however, that some live, local air talent along with real-time listener interaction would enhance the experience. Two of the most popular elements of WITL in the 90's were the Second Shift Request Show and the Sunday Morning Oldies Show, both of which thrived on listener participation. I think something like that on Duke would take off like a rocket, especially given that we're talking about basically the same audience.

MrTaterSalad

Post by MrTaterSalad » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:52 pm

When did Mike Scott get let go from WLMI?

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:46 pm

MrTaterSalad wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:52 pm
When did Mike Scott get let go from WLMI?
Right before the flip to i92-9 this spring, which looking at these ratings, is a total flop (to no one's surprise).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic