Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WGN Transmitting Station From 1939

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
Arthur Mometer

WGN Transmitting Station From 1939

Post by Arthur Mometer » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:32 pm

WGN Transmitting Station, near Roselle, IL and Schaumburg, IL. 1939 Chicago Tribune article.

https://chicagology.com/silentmovies/wgntransmitter/

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

k8jd

Re: WGN Transmitting Station From 1939

Post by k8jd » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:42 pm

I drove down the "Radio Hiway" many times with three of the big AM tower sites on my way to Motorola schools in Shaumberg, IL !
After I left Chicago, one of my friends joined the WGN engineering staff and he promised to give me a tour of the facilities, but we never got together at a time we could do it, after that.
Great article !!

phillyb

Post by phillyb » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:11 pm

A couple of observations:

--AM Radio was the cutting-edge technology of the 1920s and 30s. Ah, those were the days !

--Caould you imagine a newspaper today printing such a technical article explaining how any of today's technologies work in such detail? It's amazing how "dumbed down" our media have become. Sure, you can find highly technical articles on line, but you have to hunt for them. Modern-day mass medial such as newspapers or television would never go into such detail as this article.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:24 pm

Re: Dumbing down.

I overheard a co-worker speaking to someone at work about watching television. She said she does not have TV in her house anymore since TV went digital.

So I suggested she find a converter at a thrift store.

She then explained that she couldn't afford to pay for electricity for both the TV and the converter box.

I worked out the math and told her it would be 40 cents per month to use the converter box eight hours a day every day. She could not be convinced that the converter box would use less power than the TV, sure of herself that the cost of electricity is simply set by how many cords are plugged in!

HD74

Post by HD74 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:14 pm

No Olivah! You pluugged a 2 und a 2 und a 5!
Mrs. Douglas.
Green Acres.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic