Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WMXD interference

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

WMXD interference

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:23 pm

While enjoying "Love's Holiday" by Earth Wind and Fire driving along Grand River in Brighton, the station was picket fencing something terrible. Most other Detroit stations don't have that issue, yet it seems to affect WMXD (edit) more often than not around here. Where would the interference come from on that frequency?
Last edited by Mega Hertz on Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WMXD interference

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:59 pm

WMXD is a bit weaker field strength wise in Brighton than most other Detroit FMs to start with.

This is because WMXD's antenna is located atop either the Ren Cen or Cadillac Tower (I cannot remember which) in downtown Detroit.

In terms of co-channel interference sources, your most likely bet is 92.3 The Fan from Cleveland.

During tropospheric ducting, stations from NE Ohio can produce some nasty, nasty interference to Detroit-based stations in your neck of the woods. It can get really bad to the west and south of Ann Arbor.

On a drive back from Chicago several years ago on an October evening, I remember 97.1 getting absolutely clobbered by an Ashtabula, OH area station until I drove far enough east to be within 5 miles of Ann Arbor. WDRQ, WKQI and a few other stations were getting torn up pretty badly, too.

When I attended U-M, I remember the Urban AC station from Cleveland at 93.1 MHz interfering with DRQ from time to time. WMMS also used to override WITL quite a bit.

Deleted User 14803

Post by Deleted User 14803 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:03 pm

In Utica, I also have issues with 92.3 and 106.7, are they still both on the same tower downtown?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:20 pm

Yes, I believe so.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:47 pm

I think parts of SW Ontario get the worst of that Detroit vs. Cleveland interference. The stations are as follows:
92.3 WMXD vs. WKRK-FM
93.1 WDRQ vs. WZAK
95.5 WKQI vs. WFHM-FM
99.5 WYCD vs. WGAR-FM

Another longtime problem for 92.3 FM that you have 92.5 WVKS Toledo right next to it which is 50,000 watts.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:58 pm

Thanks for the answers, all. I'm in an area where, at any given time, I can pick up stations decently from Flint, Saginaw, Lansing, Jackson, Ann Arbor, Toledo and even spots further west, like K-Zoo and GR if it's just right. Sometimes, If I tune by, I can get a read on just about every available frequency, with some signals fighting each other. After living on the east side most of my life, Ive gotten used to not being able to receive so many stations.

-TurkeyTop

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:56 pm

The station is always staticy for me on my home radio. I'm in Novi.

Music is my life.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:24 am

Could they be on Auxiliary?

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:02 am

The irony is, 105.9 is generally my first choice for the Urban AC format. Q106 out of Lansing comes in crystal clear, yet I have no problems with WDMK. Ever.

-TurkeyTop

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:46 am

Terrain issues are very important in FM BC reception, much more than early propagation models accounted for. It took until reasonably priced software became available, it was difficult to visualize where terrain holes and terrain shielding occurred. You literally had to tape several USGS Topographic Maps together to plot a single radial for an STL accurately. Eight or nine radials had to be plotted manually for TV and FM applications. I actually did do a few applications that way, in the late 1980s. It convinced me to buy reasonably priced software. Even early software allowed this to be done in seconds, and to quite accurately visualize and model, terrain and shadowing. I suspect that if you used FMFool for your exact address, It would show you what is happening, and why you get FSBM, LELJ, DET, AAY, PHS, and other clusters of FM and TV stations better or not as good at a particular location. The Brighton Area is higher than ANY of the major Market Clusters in the neighboring areas, by several hundred feet.
Last edited by Arthur Mometer on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:55 am

I feel that much smarter after reading that. I may have to mess with FM Fool.

-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 3751

Post by Deleted User 3751 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:06 am

This is because WMXD's antenna is located atop either the Ren Cen or Cadillac Tower (I cannot remember which) in downtown Detroit.

WMXD and WDTW are both on the Cadillac Tower.

WMXD is 45 KW with a directional antenna at 479 feet, they pull in from Brighton slightly.

WDTW is 61 KW with a non directional antenna at 508 feet. Their signal is a little better in Brighton.

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:21 am

Plug in 42.504 N and -83.872 W for the highest point near Brighton, West in the Brighton Recreation Area, is 1090 feet. The highest point in Livingston County is 1230 feet in Tyrone Township.

To use the highest point near Brighton, click Coordinates and enter the above decimal equivalents. You don't enter N and W, that is taken care of by the sign of the Latitude and Longitude.

http://www.fmfool.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=29

A lot of the Detroit City locations are in a hole that would require a very tall tower to be LOS. The SF-OP-ROT antenna farm locations are mainly LOS. The Lansing Area is mainly LOS.

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:48 am

That is a fun website. I enjoy it! We reside about 5 miles or so east of Brighton rec. I can pick up a crystal clear WMMQ in my basement, yet have trouble with almost anything frequency higher than 97.1. Even WHMI, a few miles up the road, has issues. I'd like to understand more about the technical side of radio broadcasting.

-TurkeyTop

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:51 am

The Booming Voice Of MW Said: When I attended U-M, I remember the Urban AC station from Cleveland at 93.1 MHz interfering with DRQ from time to time. WMMS also used to override WITL quite a bit.

On the North Campus, near where they were going to put the WUOM-TV Channel 26 tower way back, near the "Baits Motel", there are buildings where you can see the Southfield-Oak Park-Royal Oak Township tower lights on a very clear Night. But on the other side of the same buildings, they watched WILX-TV 10 on rabbit ears, and for NBC it came in much better than WDIV-TV 4.

In apartment buildings on the third floor near the Gandy Dancer, you could get WWCK-FM 105.5 on the North Side of the buildings with a telescoping whip, and WWWM-FM/WQQO 105.5 on the other side. I don't know if there is any model yet that would predict that level of detail.
Last edited by Arthur Mometer on Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic