All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WLMI Flips - This time.... CHR

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
BME

Re: WLMI Flips - This time.... CHR

Post by BME » Tue May 09, 2017 11:21 pm

Yeah, the AM non-sports problem is a big one for 92.1. I forgot about the business show because I never tune in to the station until after 1 p.m.

Is 92.1 stuck with Shiels contractually or something? (I forgot that he's based in Lansing.)
MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 9:38 pm
My beef with 92.1 is that Michael Patrick Shiels is a terrible fit for a sports radio station (his program does indeed originate from Lansing, if I'm not mistaken), plus the fact the business/stock market program that airs from 12 Noon to 1PM sticks out like a sore thumb and is a total cume killer.

Why would a Dan Patrick listener sit thru that "Michigan Business Rap" shit for a full HOUR waiting for Ryan Schuiling to hit the air? Chances are, by 12:03p, they've changed the station to something else.

Every single show on that station should be mostly or entirely sports oriented. The station is poorly programmed, and the ratings reflect that fact.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, all the pro & college teams that Lansing area listeners care about air on competing stations (1240, 730, 94.9). That little fact certainly doesn't help 92.1's cause.
Last edited by BME on Wed May 10, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Schyster

Post by Schyster » Wed May 10, 2017 7:15 am

All of the local shows (Shiels, Business Rap, Schuilling, Ebling) are produced by Spotlight Productions - https://www.spotlightmmp.com/production . I am assuming that Spotlight leases the airtime​. If so, as long as the check clears, I have a feeling Midwest isn't too concerned about ratings or if the schedule is a trainwreck.

++++

Post by ++++ » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:58 am

This happened a month ago or so.

The entire day is VTed or satellite!

http://i1067.com/shows/show/the-butter-show/

http://i929fm.com/shows/show/butter/

The last piece of the pie is VT'ed from Nashville.

option1

Post by option1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:12 pm

With Strickland leaving 97.5 it leaves that station vulnerable. PD/Morning guy and market staple gone. i92.9 can't take full advantage of that with the current structure in my opinion. All syndication? No one running the ship? Ugh.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:20 pm

Is he leaving radio altogether or headed to a different station/bigger market?

Perhaps his successor at 97.5 Now FM will be Nikki Landry??? Or was his successor already named?

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

option1

Post by option1 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:34 am

All Access...

"JOSH STRICKLAND, PD/morning host at TOWNSQUARE Top 40 WJIM (97.5 NOW FM)/LANSING, MI exits after ten years to join SMILE FM, a statewide nonprofit network of "Positive Hit Music" radio stations as Dir./Localism, a position he describes as a community engagement-focused role. “My time at 97.5 NOW FM has defined my career and I love everyone at TOWNSQUARE/LANSING, but I have wanted to join the SMILE FM team for a long time,” STRICKLAND said, “and the time is right, now.” Beginning JULY 5th, STRICKLAND will be a regular voice on The Morning Espresso with JENN & BRIAN, which airs weekdays on all of the network’s stations from 5-10a."

With i92.9 running on the bird 24/7, I doubt Townquare is in a rush.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:08 pm

Cannot help but wonder if whomever is programming WFMK these days will simply be given the responsibility of also programming WJIM-FM.

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:14 pm

Artemis (new i92.9 PD) has cleaned up the processing in a major way and has improved some other things as well. Station sounded better today than the last time I drove thru town.

Reliance on out-of-town programming weekdays is going to continue to be an Achilles heel, though.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:39 am

Schyster wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 7:15 am
All of the local shows (Shiels, Business Rap, Schuilling, Ebling) are produced by Spotlight Productions - https://www.spotlightmmp.com/production . I am assuming that Spotlight leases the airtime​. If so, as long as the check clears, I have a feeling Midwest isn't too concerned about ratings or if the schedule is a trainwreck.
My guess is that it's likely a time-broker arrangement. Selling a block of time to an independent producer provides a steady revenue stream for the station regardless of ratings, and it shifts payroll from the station to the program's producer. Likewise, the producer isn't tied to a salary, and is free to sell their own ad time. Not an uncommon arrangement these days, especially with Talk stations.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic