All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WLMI Flips - This time.... CHR

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WLMI Flips - This time.... CHR

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Wow - very interesting. I would bet dollars to donuts that she was surprised by how small of a budget she would have for local airstaff.

I'm guessing she wasn't the one to make the call to use Zach Sang at night or Bert in mornings. She, like me, probably understands that using those programs in a competitive situation is a recipe for "also ran" status at best.

This is going to be a low budget station, just like the one that preceded it (Classic Hits) and the one across the hall (Duke FM).

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:37 am

JobyOne wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:00 pm
The posted job ad states that the new person said "it wasn't the right fit". She posted an hour ago on her FB page, "Always read the fine print. It's much more valuable than the selling price." Lansing, via Colorado Springs, is a mighty long move to suddenly change one's mind. (I've been in Saginaw for 13 years and won't consider moving unless I think I can have the same longevity at my next gig; I hate everything about the moving process.)
What do you mean I get to PROGRAM this???

Hey, we said you are the program director! :lol

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:37 am

Syndicated shows are usually barter agreements with no out-of-pocket expense. Air talent from Wausau or another Midwest CHR market can FTP voice tracks to fill in the remaining dayparts. The station could run on practically zero overhead. As long as they can sell it, the ad revenue is pure gravy.

My guess is that it will be marketed to clients as a less expensive alternative to WFMK and 97.5.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:56 am

I'm inclined to agree. So stupid they are using Zach Sang when they could've paid someone from WIFC or WIXX to track a customized night show for WLMI.

Amazing how not a single station within MWC's Lansing cluster hits the target with regard to money-demo females. This station will skew young and have so-so ratings to boot.

Here's how I would position the cluster from a format perspective:

92.1: Classic Country or a Sports format that is programmed properly (unlike the station currently found at 92.1)
92.9: Classic Hits, but with CHR-style formatics and better processing. My playlist would be 10% post-2K songs, 25% 90's songs, 35% 80's songs, 20% 70's songs and 10% "surprise" songs.
94.1: CHR/top 40
106.1: Hard Rock, but ditch Bob & Tom. Go with a local morning show based at the station.

Another possible option would be to do Classic Hits at 94.1 and then do either a very Hot AC at 92.9 (patterned after 94.9 in Cincinnati) or do a low budget Contemporary Country format to undercut WITL.

Rubber City Radio Group really screwed over the legacy of the 94.1 frequency when they gave up on Classic Hits (after they misprogrammed it) and flipped to Soft AC.

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

SpartanAM

Post by SpartanAM » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:08 pm

I bet MIKE 101-7 will out perform the new WLMI... and that's saying something!

She's got the tower... She's got the power...

MichiganPhil

Post by MichiganPhil » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:06 am

thephoneman wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:04 am
Boooooo!
Yes, I now have a button on my car radio available for reassignment to another station!

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:08 am

I can't imagine why anyone with a modicum of common sense would move from Colorado Springs to Lansing.

"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:56 am

I bet MIKE 101-7 will out perform the new WLMI... and that's saying something!
Agreed. I would also expect 101.7 to pick up a decent number of former 92.9 listeners, even though 101.7's median song age is probably a good 15 years younger than what 92.9 played. WMMQ will be the other beneficiary of Classic Hits' demise @ 92.9.

There isn't a great substitute out there for those who enjoyed WLMI's playlist.

I never cared for WLMI's sound. Sounded too much like a small town radio station - like something one would hear in Hillsdale or the Thumb.

SpartanAM

Post by SpartanAM » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:20 pm

I could see WHZZ 101-7 shed some of the currents and recurrent and keep to a more gold-based playlist like their sister WMJO in the Saginaw/Bay City market. I would guesstimate that WMJO's average song age is in the early 80s, while WHZZ's is the late 80s.

After WHNN's demise, we didn't see Mac step up to fill the void, so I don't expect a flip of any of his Lansing stations. However, I think the PD of WHZZ would be smart to put those 70s songs in a stronger rotation. WXLA may pick up a few listeners in the daytime too.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:00 pm

Jeff McCarthy is probably in one of Lansing's 5 star hotels right now, monitoring the competition.

"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

option1

Post by option1 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:27 pm

Not rocket science on this. Play the friggin' hits. 97.5 Now's playlist is tight. They are doing it right. Will be tough beat.

But like MW said, i92.9 does sound good. Decent imaging. And plenty of hits. Look, if you are at 97.5 you should be a little worried someone is playing your music song for song. And if they do staff it right it could get interesting.

Initially, go after Now's young end. Hit the streets hard. And don't syndicate any day-part please. Call Spec's Howard. Hire some kids.

If I'm reading between the lines of what Nikki said it's pretty much they were putting her in a no win situation. And Jeff's response was pretty much FU. No love lost there apparently.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 04, 2017 7:43 pm

And if they do staff it right it could get interesting.
...except MWC won't do so. Therein lies the problem.

A *real* CHR battle - one that's actually competitive -would be a lot of fun to watch. It's been many years since such a thing happened in southern Michigan.

98.7 has never posed any real threat to 95.5 in Detroit.

A few years back, it looked like 105.3 was going to give 104.5 in West Michigan a run for its money, but as soon as Beau Derek and then Marty left WHTS, the air quickly escaped from the balloon and 105.3 returned to "also-ran" status.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri May 05, 2017 10:29 am

option1 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 11:27 pm
And if they do staff it right it could get interesting.
Staff?

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

++++

Post by ++++ » Fri May 05, 2017 2:46 pm

I've never been in radio. Just a geek.

Why would anyone not play to win?
The license, power bills, property taxes, ASCAPBMI, etc are the same whether you are #1 or #10.
We want the nicest car, home, etc., but radio..... I just don't get it. (IE: I don't want a Corvette. I'll take a Yugo!)

There was a situation years ago at WIXX. Jeff Murray came in to be the new PD. Went a bit younger on the music. The jocks (all older, there for some time) didn't like it. Murray (who was formerly at co-owned WIFC) was shown the door.

(Have tried to submit three times. Hopefully this gets through.)

++++

Post by ++++ » Sun May 07, 2017 7:14 pm

http://i929fm.com/shows/list/

Now shows Bert Show, Jayson Slade (VT'ed from WIXX Green Bay 9-2pm), then Zach Sang 7-12midnight. Overnight nothing.

FWIW, WIXX and WIFC have jocks live overnights.

So whoever is the "PD" really has their hands tied, I guess.

option1

Post by option1 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:37 am

Well, the job was advertised as brand manager but the only brand the PD will be managing is more hits and more syndication. I see why Nikki bailed. You won't win with one live daypart. What a shame and an embarrassment. Thanks Midwest for adapting the IHeartRadio vision of the future of the biz. I thought you were better than that.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Mon May 08, 2017 7:49 pm

This definitely reminds me of WLHT when they flipped from a Mediocore W blight to to Channel 957

Has VT'ed shows at or almost the whole day a low demo playlist with little competition

SpartanAM

Post by SpartanAM » Mon May 08, 2017 10:25 pm

Lansing has really become a radio wasteland.

The only commercial station that deserves praise is WQHH. Yes they have a syndicated morning show, but they by far have the most local DJ's and as far as I know, the only station in the market with an overnight jock.

BME

Post by BME » Tue May 09, 2017 3:19 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:56 am
Here's how I would position the cluster from a format perspective:

92.1: Classic Country or a Sports format that is programmed properly (unlike the station currently found at 92.1)
I don't necessarily disagree with you about 92.1's programming being lacking, but it does have a significant amount of local/MSU oriented fare, so I would guess your beef is that it doesn't have an AM local show. If not, what's your beef about 92.1?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 09, 2017 9:38 pm

My beef with 92.1 is that Michael Patrick Shiels is a terrible fit for a sports radio station (his program does indeed originate from Lansing, if I'm not mistaken), plus the fact the business/stock market program that airs from 12 Noon to 1PM sticks out like a sore thumb and is a total cume killer.

Why would a Dan Patrick listener sit thru that "Michigan Business Rap" shit for a full HOUR waiting for Ryan Schuiling to hit the air? Chances are, by 12:03p, they've changed the station to something else.

Every single show on that station should be mostly or entirely sports oriented. The station is poorly programmed, and the ratings reflect that fact.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, all the pro & college teams that Lansing area listeners care about air on competing stations (1240, 730, 94.9). That little fact certainly doesn't help 92.1's cause.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic