Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan Legislature tries for a power grab...

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Michigan Legislature tries for a power grab...

Post by TC Talks » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:28 pm

Let's hope Snyder has enough sense to knock this garbage down...

Most of these are unconstitutional.
The debate was sparked this week by a flurry of bills introduced in the waning days of Republicans’ eight-year control of all branches of Michigan government. And it promises a contentious four-week lame-duck session as the GOP-controlled Legislature winds down its two-year term in December.

Republicans will still control the Legislature come January, but Democrats, led by Gov.-elect Gretchen Whitmer, are taking control of top elected offices from Republicans.

Democrats and good-government watchdog groups say the GOP bills are an obvious attempt to hold on to as much power as they can before they lose it. Republicans say the reforms are overdue, and they’d support them even if they didn’t control the Legislature.

Among the bills introduced this week:

House Bill 6553, sponsored by state Rep. Rob VerHeulen, R-Walker, would allow the Legislature to intervene in court when one or both chambers “deems such intervention necessary in order to protect any right or interest of this state, or of that body.” The bill would give the Legislature the same right as any other party to a lawsuit to ask for an appeal.
Senate Bill 1250, sponsored by state Sen. David Robertson, R-Grand Blanc, would move responsibility for enforcement of state campaign finance law from the Secretary of State’s office to a new, bipartisan commission consisting of three Republicans and three Democrats appointed by the governor from lists of candidates provided by state political parties. A message for comment was left Thursday with Robertson’s office.
Senate Bill 1176, sponsored by incoming Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey, R-Clarklake, passed in the Senate. The bill would prohibit disclosure of donors to nonprofit groups organized under the federal Internal Revenue Code’s Section 501(c). That would include charitable organizations, as well as groups that engage in political activity. The only way the information could be disclosed is through a court order.
Senate Bill 1197, introduced by state Sen. Tom Casperson, R-Escanaba, was voted out of committee but not yet taken up on the Senate floor. The bill would authorize the Mackinac Bridge Authority to operate a tunnel beneath the Straits of Mackinac as part of enabling Gov. Rick Snyder’s recent deal with Canadian energy giant Enbridge Inc. to replace the aging and controversial Line 5 pipeline. Bill testimony echoed concerns over whether the Mackinac Bridge Authority is the right entity to manage the tunnel. Democrats say the bill could make it tougher for Whitmer and Attorney General-elect Dana Nessel to follow through on campaign promises to shut down Line 5.
Republicans in the state Senate also introduced legislation to implement two voter-approved constitutional amendments, to create an independent redistricting commission and expand access to voting in Michigan. Democratic Secretary of State-elect Jocelyn Benson will play a significant role in managing both efforts.
Term-limited Gov. Rick Snyder, a Republican, hasn’t tipped his hat as to whether he’d sign any of the controversial bills if they reach his desk.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mike

Re: Michigan Legislature tries for a power grab...

Post by Mike » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:12 am

Republicans say the reforms are overdue, and they’d support them even if they didn’t control the Legislature.
Such an obvious lie, when the truth is that not one of these would even be put forth without the looming prospects of losing even a modicum of state control.

HB 6553 appears when the AG's office is flipping.

So too does SB 1176, which is made even funnier by Schuette having recently said that his office had stepped up its efforts to go after fraudulent charities, efforts that this bill would curtail. Never mind that he'd also previously filed a brief in support of a Koch lawsuit that challenged the donor requirement out on the West Coast. (One last crack from Shady Schuette, I guess...)

SB 1250 appears when the SOS office is flipping.

SB 1197 speaks for itself.

Republicans in the state Senate also introduced legislation to implement two voter-approved constitutional amendments, to create an independent redistricting commission and expand access to voting in Michigan. Democratic Secretary of State-elect Jocelyn Benson will play a significant role in managing both efforts.
Is this some kind of ham-handed attempt to somehow put both of these into law early and then hack them to pieces as they see fit, all inside of December? It's the only reason I can think of as to these.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:15 am

That said...
TC Talks wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:28 pm
Most of these are unconstitutional.
Explain? I've seen how the minimum wage/paid sick leave changes have the constitutionality issue, but what's the specific question(s) on these?

All things considered though, with these kinds of stunts, it wouldn't shock me to see a future ballot question aimed directly at the "lame duck session" entirely.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:42 pm

I said most of these are unconstitutional. The legislature can't start changing the power of other elected offices.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

tapeisrolling

Post by tapeisrolling » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:55 pm

Speaking of Constitutional..... Lets change it so there is no lame duck period at all. I cannot remember anything good ever to come out of a session.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:25 am

Notice how the douche bags in Lansing aren't using lame duck to tackle something that actually matters to millions of citizens in this state? Auto insurance reform!!!

Was hoping that would be given one last shot, but with Meekhof being in the pockets of the health care lobby, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I do like some of the Senate bills mentioned above. Democrats don't like the Mackinac deal only because they want to have the ability to continue to use that situation as a political football. If that deal gets denied legislatively, we'll be stuck with the status quo regarding Line 5.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:27 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:25 am
Notice how the douche bags in Lansing aren't using lame duck to tackle something that actually matters to millions of citizens in this state? Auto insurance reform!!!

Was hoping that would be given one last shot, but with Meekhof being in the pockets of the health care lobby, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I do like some of the Senate bills mentioned above.
Enough to handcuff other elected offices?

― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:36 am

Philosophically, I have no issue with either House Bill 6553 or Senate Bill 1250, and I disagree with your characterization.

HB 6553 is designed to serve as a check & balance against unscrupulous judges.
SB 1250 is designed to ensure transparency & fairness in campaign finance law enforcement.

I am not sure how either of these are bad public policy.

Mike

Post by Mike » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:39 pm

Verdicts:

HB 6553 - vetoed

SB 1250 - died in the House

SB 1176 - vetoed

SB 1197 - signed

And I'm not sure of all the bills that dealt with implementing Proposals 2 and 3. He did sign SBs 1238-1242 though, which addressed Proposal 3.

Lastly, he did also sign HB 6595, the proportionality requirement on ballot proposal signatures.

All in all...a decidedly-mixed bag.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic