Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
tvradiojunkie
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:24 pm

WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by tvradiojunkie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:39 am

Just flipped past it and saw the scroll. They go dark on 4/30. Info here: http://my18.tv/

ftballfan
Posts: 786
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by ftballfan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:07 pm

So will another station (or subchannel of one) pick up some of WHTV's syndicated programming?

tvradiojunkie
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:24 pm

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by tvradiojunkie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:03 pm

That's the million dollar question. I could see MyNetworkTV possibly going to WSYM, either 47.1 in late night after the news, or (god forbid) 47.2 preempting Me-TV primetime.

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4551
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:17 pm

The million dollar question is - how many millions did WHTV's owners walk away with? :hat

Selling was a no-brainer. For continued use as a telecaster, I doubt the station's license and related assets were worth much more than $5 million. After all, we're talking about the least watched commercial station in a puny-sized (thanks to the FCC's idiotic market boundary definitions) television market.

MyNetwork TV's programming is junk, but WHTV did carry some decent sitcoms and other stuff in syndication.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

ftballfan
Posts: 786
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm
Location: Ypsilanti, MI

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by ftballfan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:34 pm

WSYM could put WHTV's programming on (a new) 47.4

tvradiojunkie
Posts: 202
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:24 pm

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by tvradiojunkie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:58 pm

That's a possibility I thought of (either on a new 47.4 or move Me to 47.4 and put it on 47.2), if they have the bandwidth for it.

User avatar
HD74
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: SOMEWHERE BEHIND THE RACKS

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by HD74 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:00 pm

Hardly a surprise, but I bet they were disappointed they didn't get the big bucks they thought they would based on the FCC's pre auction estimates.
(600 something million?)
Most of their current programming is already available on the other stations at different times.
Except of course, Jewelry TV.

To those who are suggesting someone just "turn on" a secondary channel, there is a lot more to it than that.
You have to be able to give up enough bandwidth for that .4.
You have to have an encoder that will handle it, and you can just about give up doing HD.
Watch the stations that have all these extra channels, it is clear that the more you add, the worse every channel looks.
You're just cutting the pie that is available to carry your streams into smaller slices, and packing more into them.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

User avatar
Splouge
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:34 pm
Location: 9 miles from the laziest ever TV station, W33BY, or as they call themselves, WHPR TV

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by Splouge » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:32 pm

I'm gonna record the signoff on 18.1, can anyone else do 18.2?
One time, I got WYZZ Peoria 330 miles away indoors clearly for 10 minutes on Dec 5, 2015

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 552
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:50 am

HD74 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:00 pm
Hardly a surprise, but I bet they were disappointed they didn't get the big bucks they thought they would based on the FCC's pre auction estimates.
(600 something million?)
Most of their current programming is already available on the other stations at different times.
Except of course, Jewelry TV.

To those who are suggesting someone just "turn on" a secondary channel, there is a lot more to it than that.
You have to be able to give up enough bandwidth for that .4.
You have to have an encoder that will handle it, and you can just about give up doing HD.
Watch the stations that have all these extra channels, it is clear that the more you add, the worse every channel looks.
You're just cutting the pie that is available to carry your streams into smaller slices, and packing more into them.
I suppose Lansing is out of luck at the moment, unless their cable operator bothers to add in a channel for those missing programs if none of the other stations will comply. Thought to check out their Facebook page but I see they have no "visitors post" section, it would've been interesting to see the s--tstorm blow out of proportions from those missing TMZ!

User avatar
HD74
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:53 pm
Location: SOMEWHERE BEHIND THE RACKS

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by HD74 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:46 pm

I can see it now,
"TMZ off-air, Lansing closes" Mayor Virg, saddened by the loss of the show TMZ from local airways, decides to close the city. Buildings will be removed Saturday, and the electric shut off. "it's just so sad" says the Mayor.....

Toledo Guy, I think you deserve a gold star for finding the show that will be lost, most of the inventory is on somebody elses subchannel at a different time, but not TMZ.

Question is, what show would one of the other stations drop to add TMZ?
Would have to generate more revenue than the show it replaces, and must fit in the "stationality" of that broadcaster.
Must also not cause a snowstorm of viewer calls because their show was dropped.
(I stole the term stationality from someone here, as it was a cool term, thanks)
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 552
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:22 pm

HD74 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:46 pm
I can see it now,
"TMZ off-air, Lansing closes" Mayor Virg, saddened by the loss of the show TMZ from local airways, decides to close the city. Buildings will be removed Saturday, and the electric shut off. "it's just so sad" says the Mayor.....

Toledo Guy, I think you deserve a gold star for finding the show that will be lost, most of the inventory is on somebody elses subchannel at a different time, but not TMZ.
Good to know I was right on the money. While I don't know much about the Lansing area, I do know TMZ panders to that lowest common denominator (i.e. dumb people), they're always glued to it. Someone in my house watches it for instance. I can't be more than a few seconds without flinching on that.
Question is, what show would one of the other stations drop to add TMZ?
Would have to generate more revenue than the show it replaces, and must fit in the "stationality" of that broadcaster.
Must also not cause a snowstorm of viewer calls because their show was dropped.
(I stole the term stationality from someone here, as it was a cool term, thanks)
There's only so much the 7-8PM slot can hold (it comes on at 7:30 down here in Toledo).

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4551
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:43 pm

The opening auction estimate (set in late 2015) was $413 million for WHTV. Obviously, that price was grotesquely inflated.

My guess is they received somewhere between $10 million and $15 million.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

User avatar
rugratsonline
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:20 pm

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by rugratsonline » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:54 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:34 pm
WSYM could put WHTV's programming on (a new) 47.4
Or make the PSIP 18.1, that way, they can still tune in by dialling that channel, though they'll actually be watching a subchannel of WSYM. Though of course, that means rescanning the TV and reaiming the antenna -- again.

Of course, the owners of the transmitting facility in Lyndon Township is probably not happy that they'll be losing another TV station (its former tenants, WPXD, moved to Southfield a few years back after the transition).

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 552
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:30 pm

rugratsonline wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:54 pm
ftballfan wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:34 pm
WSYM could put WHTV's programming on (a new) 47.4
Or make the PSIP 18.1, that way, they can still tune in by dialling that channel, though they'll actually be watching a subchannel of WSYM. Though of course, that means rescanning the TV and reaiming the antenna -- again.
Of course.
Of course, the owners of the transmitting facility in Lyndon Township is probably not happy that they'll be losing another TV station (its former tenants, WPXD, moved to Southfield a few years back after the transition).
I'm sure.

smallwonder
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: midland mi

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by smallwonder » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:23 am

TMZ should end up on Fox47. Most likely, one of the Warner Bros. shows gets bumped to a different time.
turn up the radio! mighty in might!

MichiganPhil
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:22 pm
Location: East Lansing

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by MichiganPhil » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:34 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:43 pm
The opening auction estimate (set in late 2015) was $413 million for WHTV. Obviously, that price was grotesquely inflated.

My guess is they received somewhere between $10 million and $15 million.
Since My18 and Fox 47 are owned by Scripps, does the money go to the corporate office, or would it be used in Lansing at Fox 47?

User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:30 am

MichiganPhil wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:34 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:43 pm
The opening auction estimate (set in late 2015) was $413 million for WHTV. Obviously, that price was grotesquely inflated.

My guess is they received somewhere between $10 million and $15 million.
Since My18 and Fox 47 are owned by Scripps, does the money go to the corporate office, or would it be used in Lansing at Fox 47?
Scripps doesn't own My18. They're owned by an L.A.-based company called Spartan TV LLC. They have a marketing partnership with WSYM, and have had similar arrangements in the past with WLAJ and WLNS. My understanding is that they share sales and operations, but their upper-management is separate.

The reason for their original high-bid ceiling in the auction was due to their transmitter location. The move to WPXD's former stick in Chelsea put them on the I-94 corridor....prime real estate for the wireless providers. No doubt they made that move with the auction in mind. The fact that the auction went four rounds before wrapping up meant that the potential high bids dropped with each round. The demand for spectrum by the wireless companies wasn't what the FCC had anticipated at the outset. Chances are nobody who sold out in the end got anywhere near the valuation of those opening bids. The upside for viewers is that there likely won't be another auction anytime soon. It'll be tough for the wireless providers to come back and ask for more spectrum when they didn't want the amount that was offered them this time around.
Happy ADVENT!

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4551
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:12 pm

Yeah, the FCC was off by about one thousand country miles in those initial estimates. If I missed by such a wide margin in a valuation analysis, I'd be out of a job.

I cannot help but wonder if those published estimates were intentionally fraudulent to induce participation by broadcasters.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

User avatar
Some Guy from Toledo
Posts: 552
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:12 pm

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:32 pm

smallwonder wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:23 am
TMZ should end up on Fox47. Most likely, one of the Warner Bros. shows gets bumped to a different time.
I suppose if that's the only way to do it. People better get on 47's ass about it ASAP!
Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:30 am
Scripps doesn't own My18. They're owned by an L.A.-based company called Spartan TV LLC. They have a marketing partnership with WSYM, and have had similar arrangements in the past with WLAJ and WLNS. My understanding is that they share sales and operations, but their upper-management is separate.
Interesting how these agreements work. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_marketing_agreement

I can see how it can get people confused.
The reason for their original high-bid ceiling in the auction was due to their transmitter location. The move to WPXD's former stick in Chelsea put them on the I-94 corridor....prime real estate for the wireless providers. No doubt they made that move with the auction in mind. The fact that the auction went four rounds before wrapping up meant that the potential high bids dropped with each round. The demand for spectrum by the wireless companies wasn't what the FCC had anticipated at the outset. Chances are nobody who sold out in the end got anywhere near the valuation of those opening bids. The upside for viewers is that there likely won't be another auction anytime soon. It'll be tough for the wireless providers to come back and ask for more spectrum when they didn't want the amount that was offered them this time around.
I guess a case of "You snooze, you loose!" in this biz.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:12 pm
Yeah, the FCC was off by about one thousand country miles in those initial estimates. If I missed by such a wide margin in a valuation analysis, I'd be out of a job.

I cannot help but wonder if those published estimates were intentionally fraudulent to induce participation by broadcasters.
Whatever the case, I'm sure someone got a pat on the back for that bait 'n switch!

User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:49 am

A traditional LMA usually consists of a partner station assuming overall management of the station they contract with. My understanding is that WHTV has retained a level of autonomy in their marketing agreements. Programming and branding are still overseen by WHTV's management. The partner station provides marketing, production and technical staff.
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:12 pm
Yeah, the FCC was off by about one thousand country miles in those initial estimates. If I missed by such a wide margin in a valuation analysis, I'd be out of a job.

I cannot help but wonder if those published estimates were intentionally fraudulent to induce participation by broadcasters.
Or it may be that wireless/broadband providers overstated their demand for spectrum. The FCC set the initial numbers according to what they thought they could raise from Verizon, AT&T et al. Turns out the demand wasn't what they thought it would be.

Even if the initial high-bid ceilings were intended to encourage participation, broadcasters were still free to bow out at any time. If they felt the bids were undercutting what they could get on the open market, they could walk away.
Happy ADVENT!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest