Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WTVN 610

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
CK-722

Re: WTVN 610

Post by CK-722 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:44 am

The CBEF 540 array was a 4 tower right angle parallelogram (in other words a rectangle, like WIND 560 just before you enter Chicago from INDiana, the original meaning of the callsign), but with two sets of two unequal height towers. It's still in the database. You could see it from the Bob Lo Boat. (The towers you can see from the other boats to the OTHER Bob Lo (also officially Bois Blanc) are WTOM-TV and WCBY. OK, I had to look up the callsigns associated with the other bays on the WTOM-TV tower, as they have changed so many times. It's WCHY 97.7 (Two Bays) and WWMK 106.3 (8 Bays). And probably a bunch of other tower lights at Night, like the two near Goetzville).

Use the fccdata.org US search, otherwise you get the Canadian deleted facility message as a default, to find the location and tower layout.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

innate-in-you

Re: WTVN 610

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:48 am

Ed Joseph wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:21 pm
Where exactly *is* the CKLW transmitter? Or CKWW?

I remember driving into Windsor in the late 80's to early 90's, just outside the tunnel a ways I saw an large, odd array of five or six really, really short towers, probably like 75' or less. They were freshly painted red and white and appeared to be supporting some kind of curtain antenna from them. I visited again a few years later, and there was no trace of them at all. I've always wondered what that was all about.

Edit to add.. I suppose I should mention that this site I was a bit south of Windsor, somewhere around a big curve as you get on the highway to Kingsville, Highway 20, if I recall correctly. We were going to Kingsville, at any rate, I wasn't driving but noticed this out my window. It was located within sight distance a ways behind another site with 4 much larger towers in an inline array. I'm guessing the site may be perhaps CBET's old 540 site or maybe some relic from RCI shortwave?
Four towers in a line is CKWW.

540's array is long gone.

Haven't seen the curtain array. All RCI transmitting was from Sackville, New Brunswick.

A curtain array could only be a well-to-do VE3, or perhaps someone's vineyard.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic