Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Wolverines should move into #4 ranking

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
bmw

Wolverines should move into #4 ranking

Post by bmw » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:58 am

Wow, with all the early season talk in here about how bad Michigan is, they're primed to move solidly into the 4th and final playoff slot after beating PSU and after LSU getting thumped by Alabama (which, Alabama should be in its own football league).

Rutgers and Indiana should be relatively easy wins, so it all comes down to OSU the final game of the season.

craig11152

Re: Wolverines should move into #4 ranking

Post by craig11152 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:03 pm

Georgia may take the 4th spot...
Beat a higher ranked team on the road.
The playoff had Kentucky #9 and Penn State #14. Georgia wins on the road and the game wasn't close.

I no longer directly engage trolls

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:51 pm

I think U-M's body of work overall is a touch better than the Bulldogs.

For starters, I don't take Kentucky football seriously. Georgia did have a big win at home against the Gators. But they got clobbered (granted, on the road) by LSU.

U-M's road loss to Notre Dame was by a much closer margin, and I think U-M's wins against MSU and Penn State are more impressive than Georgia's wins against Florida and Kentucky. Not because MSU and Penn State are so much better than Florida and Kentucky, but because U-M won both games in such a commanding fashion.

Other than the big win versus Georgia, LSU's resume does not impress me. They lost to #13 Florida and squeaked past unranked Auburn with a late go-ahead score to win that game by just one point.

My rankings are as follows:
#1 - Alabama
#2 - Clemson
#3 - Notre Dame
#4 - Michigan
#5 - Georgia
#6 - LSU (I realize knocking LSU down to sixth is controversial given the fact they defeated the Bulldogs handily).
#7 - Oklahoma
#8 - Ohio State

(I would place Washington State at #9 and West Virginia at #10 probably).

Do I think Michigan right now is as good as Notre Dame? Absolutely. But I still think Alabama and Clemson are in a league unto themselves. Clemson is winning games by 30, 40 points on a regular basis. I about soiled myself when I saw they put up 77 on Louisville!!! Louisville's team is absolutely rotten this year, but to score 77 on any FBS opponent is impressive.

I would like to send kudos to both U-M *and* MSU for beating Pedophilia State this year. I loathe PSU. Any time they lose, I am a happy camper.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:42 pm

Someone was an optimist even after ND...

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:56 pm

All in one Top 25 Rankings. AP still pending when posted.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... ew-updated

Perhaps they should add the MW Poll. Maybe it will become as famous as the WMPL Hockey Poll.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:55 pm

With Georgia playing Alabama for the SEC Title, Michigan will all be but guaranteed a spot in the Top 4 if they win out.

Also, the AP poll is out....Michigan #4

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:56 pm

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:23 pm

MSU got jobbed by the AP...and by the coaches (more likely their graduate assistants) as well.

MSU should be ranked higher than the Nittany Lions.

The fact Penn State is ranked at all is outrageous. MSU defeated them *in* Pedophilia Valley, played Michigan considerably tougher than Penn State did, and MSU won big this weekend whereas Penn State got trounced.

In hindsight, I didn't place enough weight on the fact LSU has two losses whereas the Sooners, Mountaineers, Buckeyes and Cougars only have 1 loss a piece. I doubt those other four schools would've done any better against 'Bama, though.

I'm anxious to see what the new BCS standings look like.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:38 pm

I'm still not sure Michigan beats out Georgia for #4.
It doesn't matter what any if us think about Kentucky the committee has them top 10 at #9. Georgia will get credit for that win on the road.

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:27 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:38 pm
It doesn't matter what any if us think about Kentucky the committee has them top 10 at #9. Georgia will get credit for that win on the road.
Does Georgia have a similar streak to dominating Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Penn State in consecutive games?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:53 am

Matt wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:27 am
craig11152 wrote:
Does Georgia have a similar streak to dominating Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Penn State in consecutive games?
None of those three are anything to write home about and Georgia plays in the NFL... ahem... the SEC... just by being in that conference you get a leg up if you are halfway decent... they have one loss where they were blown away and 3 wins against ranked teams where they blew the opponent away including the #9 and #11 team in back to back weeks... I would argue that’s more impressive than what Michigan did against teams that *were* highly ranked before we played them but fell awhile ago... it is a very close call though...

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:45 am

Matt wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:27 am
craig11152 wrote:
Not interested in a debate because I'm not making a prediction. I am saying the committee has a history of making head scratching choices by most people's standard and IF they bumped Georgia it wouldn't be the biggest head scratcher.

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:22 am

Michigan's Strength of Schedule ranks #13 while Georgia's ranks #22. Michigan was already ahead of Georgia - and since they did beat a ranked team themselves, I don't see Georgia leap-frogging them.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:40 am

bmw wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:22 am
Michigan's Strength of Schedule ranks #13 while Georgia's ranks #22. Michigan was already ahead of Georgia - and since they did beat a ranked team themselves, I don't see Georgia leap-frogging them.
Fair point on the SOS. But while we were ahead of Georgia in the CFP we have no clue by how much.

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:06 pm

If Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, ND and UM wins out, and then Georgia wins the SEC championship, both Alabama and Georgia will make the playoff, and Michigan will stay home even if they win out due to the ND loss.

So Roll Tide Roll

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic