Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

I changed my mind on Prop 1 - I voted "yes."

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

I changed my mind on Prop 1 - I voted "yes."

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:48 am

After reading about people's fourth amendment rights and other constitutional rights being violated as a result of civil asset forfeiture activity run amok, I could not in good conscience condone existing laws that facilitate such activity.

Therefore, after careful thought, I voted "YES" on Prop 1.

While Lansing in 2015 did pass beneficial laws designed to control unscrupulous civil asset forfeitures, the legislation that was signed into law by Governor Snyder that year (with widespread bipartisan support) does not quite go far enough to address the problem.

Am I concerned about recreational marijuana's addictive attributes? Yes. Am I concerned about its possible negative effects on cognition? Yes. Am I concerned about marijuana production & dispensary turning into "big business" and some day becoming as crooked as big tobacco? Absolutely. Am I concerned about the potential for further auto insurance rate hikes? You bet.

The one passage in the Prop 1 verbiage that was the tipping point for me in the voting booth was this:
"Change several current violations from crimes to civil infractions."

Ideally, the ballot proposal would've been limited to that line, plus, it would've included verbiage retroactively revoking certain marijuana-related criminal charges from people's criminal records while keeping all recreational uses & deliveries illegal (civil infractions in lesser cases; criminal infractions in more severe cases). I would've supported that type of proposal enthusiastically.

Instead, we were given what is - in my opinion - an inherently flawed Proposal 1.

This might be a vote I'll come to regret at a later date. Time will tell. Many of the fears borne out of legalization in Colorado have not been realized. This, too, is something I took into consideration.

TC Talks

Re: I changed my mind on Prop 1 - I voted "yes."

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:03 pm

Do you regret the existence of bars or liquor stores?

Because this is what an aggressive stoner looks like.

Thanks for the support.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:21 pm

Actually, I do find the proliferation of liquor stores pretty disgusting.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:20 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:21 pm
Actually, I do find the proliferation of liquor stores pretty disgusting.
Too bad conservatives favor cutting the regulations. Alcohol kills even more than in violence.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic