I've gotten slow & sloppy in activating new accounts lately; sorry about that! All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/23 at 7:15a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

“92.1 Fuel-FM” Lansing

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
sand2dunes

“92.1 Fuel-FM” Lansing

Post by sand2dunes » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:43 am

Sports radio station to change format, target new demographic
https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/sto ... 146010002/

WQTX Lansing To Drop Sports & Fuel Up
https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1703 ... s-fuel-up/

tvradiojunkie

Re: “92.1 Fuel-FM” Lansing

Post by tvradiojunkie » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Shitty name IMO. I'm getting the feeling this will be like My 92.1 all over again.

EdWalker

Post by EdWalker » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:34 am

As ho-hum at i92.9 with a shittier signal. Will never be a factor in Lansing.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:33 pm

IMO 92.1 and 92.9 are positioned as spoiler stations. Shaving a point or two off WFMK and/or 97.5 benefits Q106.

Sounds like the format is Tom Kent's satellite-fed Retro network.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:34 pm

Shaving a point or two off WFMK and/or 97.5 hardly benefits Q106. WFMK targets at-work females. 97.5 targets a young adult audience, skewing female. Q106 targets middle-aged men.

The programming at 92.9 and 92.1 is intended to provide balance to MWC's Lansing cluster by reaching cume that Duke FM and Q106 largely miss.

Now, as to the programming at 92.1 - it flat out stinks!!! The imaging is all over the road. For a station positioning itself as "upbeat" and "fun," I sure am hearing a lot of milquetoast AC staples. Sure, a couple dusty / one-hit wonder type songs are thrown in, which is a nice change of pace, but texture wise - the station doesn't sound a whole lot different than 101.7 Mike FM.

I thought this station was supposed to be appealing to millenials??? My guess is Jeff McCarthy is an upper middle aged white guy who is probably almost old enough to take 401k distributions. A station geared toward millenials should be playing music from the late 90's to late 00's primarily. Out of a half dozen songs, I've only heard one song from after the year 2000 so far. I've heard two pre-1992 songs.

I was expecting to hear a good dose of rhythmic party hits and alternative rock hits from the 90's & 00's. Think 105.1 The Bounce blended with vintage 92.1 The Edge. The only alt song I've heard so far is "Fly" by Sugar Ray (which crossed over into CHR and was a pretty big hit) and the only R&B song I've heard was from TLC.

Steve Kent, who I presume is Tom's son, is the afternoon jock. What a puker. He sounds like he's trying to be a third-rate knock off of legendary CHR / Hot AC jock, Jo Jo Kincaid. Mr. Kincaid was great at his craft; Mr. Kent on the other hand sounds phony.

"High Octane Fuel Fun" might be the worst cliche phrase in the history of commercial radio. :x :x :x :x

Verdict - INSTANT FAIL. Congratulations, MWC. You have another 1.5 share music station on your hands. (I'm being generous in saying "1.5 share.")

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

TheGadgetGuy

Post by TheGadgetGuy » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:01 pm

It seems that "Fuel" airs many programs that already air on Tom Kent's other network "24/7 Fun". I've been listening to "Totally 90's Now" for the past hour and have heard no Rhythmic songs. I've however been treated to "I Can See Clearly Now" and a bunch of other mellow AC songs. This station has certainly failed to meet my already low expectations for new MWC station launches.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:40 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:34 pm
Shaving a point or two off WFMK and/or 97.5 hardly benefits Q106. WFMK targets at-work females. 97.5 targets a young adult audience, skewing female. Q106 targets middle-aged men.

The programming at 92.9 and 92.1 is intended to provide balance to MWC's Lansing cluster by reaching cume that Duke FM and Q106 largely miss.
It could boost Q106's 12+ ranking. Granted, those numbers don't matter much when it comes to ad buys, but the appearance of an overall strong market leader looks good for Midwest and helps enhance the appearance of the cluster as a whole. I'm guessing there are a lot of combo packages being sold.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:42 pm

You mean like how 92.9 shaved a "point or two" off 97.5? ;)

97.5 just posted one of its best books ever as a CHR/Pop station.

Or how about 94.1's pitiful attempt at Soft AC years ago? WFMK was barely even nicked by that. What's truly sad regarding 94.1 is that the station had the potential to be a gigantic success following WJIM-FM's abrupt abandonment of the Oldies format. All 94.1 had to do was tweak its music a bit, maybe upgrade the morning show, and they'd be off to the races. 94.1's ratings as a Classic Hits station were already decent at the time. Unfortunately, the owner (I believe it was RCRG) flipped 92.1 to Oldies, which siphoned listenership that would have otherwise likely gone to 94.1. That was a truly idiotic move; WVIC could've been a 6 share radio station all day long.

All of the Townsquare FM stations in town are extremely well programmed and likely have rock solid relationships with key advertisers. They will be completely unfazed by this.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

radiofan86

Post by radiofan86 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:41 pm

97.5 and 99.1 both do their respective formats very well, and have for quite some time. They are also imaged well and have great audio processing.
92.9 sounds incredibly boring. I'll have to give 92.1 a listen.

If Midwest was serious about shaving some points from 97.5 and 99.1, then Classic Hits (70s and 80s) and Alternative would be the two formats to do it with. Offer something different that WJIM and WFMK aren't providing. Hot AC would be a third choice but I still think you have better results with Alternative. Lansing doesn't need 2 CHR's.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:49 am

Hmmm...alternative and classic hits. Those are the two formats Midwest Communications decided to kill off within the past couple years.

Hot AC would earn results similar to i92.9 unless given a big budget. WFMK is so well positioned that it would be difficult to wedge a true Hot AC between Now-FM and WFMK successfully.

I do agree with you that Classic Hits should've remained part of that cluster. WLMI desperately needed a more energetic feel and presentation. The station failed because the execution was terrible.

Alternative was not worthy of the big 94.1 MHz signal. That was the result of Rubber City Radio Group (prior owner) over-correcting for its terrible decision to scrap the format from 92.1 years earlier. RCRG should've returned The Edge to 92.1 MHz and returned the Classic Hits format to 94.1 MHz (92.1 was airing a mostly satellite-fed Classic Hits format known as "92X" at the time.)

I personally think an Adult Hits station with a considerable 90's & 00's rhythm hits component is worthy of consideration.

I will give MWC some credit in this regard - Duke is performing better than I expected. I absolutely hate the voiceovers between songs, but it does not appear to be wearing on the audience. The playlist evolved to place more emphasis on 90's & early 00's country hits, and I think that's a good thing.

radiofan86

Post by radiofan86 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:40 am

I would have listened to 92.1 while in the car yesterday but, they were airing the Michigan game.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:31 am

radiofan86 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:40 am
I would have listened to 92.1 while in the car yesterday but, they were airing the Michigan game.
I wondered about that. They're likely under contract to air the U of M games, at least through the current season. Duke, as far as I know, still airs WMU games.

My personal allegiance aside, it would be a smart business move on Midwest's part to maintain the U of M broadcasts. There are a lot of Michigan fans in this neck of the woods.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:56 pm

Listened to 92.1 a little bit earlier today. Fool-FM blows!!! :(

The station has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. This is a new low point for 92.1 MHz in the Lansing area. Several shitty music formats have pervaded the 92.1 airwaves over the past 15 years. This one I'd say is the worst, which is saying a LOT, because My 92.1 (2003) was rotten.

Returning the station to its Alternative roots, classic hip-hop, or a true Variety Hits format geared toward 25-44 year olds (like the recently launched 93.3 in Austin, TX) would've all been much better choices.

ChrisKun2K5

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Couldn't agree more, M.W. I listened at length this past weekend while I was in the area... I was not impressed. Too many AC recurrents... Imagine Dragons into Maroon 5... yawn. It's basically mainstream AC without the currents and Mike FM without the '70s/'80s. They will continue to be basement dwellers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic