All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

97.5 Now FM kicks i92.9's ass by EIGHT FULL SHARES!!!

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

97.5 Now FM kicks i92.9's ass by EIGHT FULL SHARES!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:09 pm

i92.9 = aural abortion.

Time for Midwest Communications to pull the plug on this monstrosity. It is clearly the laughing stock of Lansing radio now. This is the second straight book where i92.9 failed to get out of the mid 1's in ages 12+.

On the positive side of things, it appears Duke FM had an unusually strong book!

https://menu.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb195

Look at WJR - wow. Back in the day, they used to get a 2.5 share in the Lansing market no problem.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

TheGadgetGuy

Re: 97.5 Now FM kicks i92.9's ass by EIGHT FULL SHARES!!!

Post by TheGadgetGuy » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:24 pm

Midwest never gave i92.9 the resources it needs in order to even-somewhat compete with 97.5.

Perhaps they will give Alternative a shot on 92.9? It did decently on 94.1. A properly executed return to Classic Hits, a la WFGR in Grand Rapids may not be a terrible idea either. Granted Midwest probably won't give any new format the proper resources either.

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:28 pm

i92.9 is a dumpster fire, no bones about it. Meanwhile WITL is clearly no longer the powerhouse it once was. And that's likely thanks to the Duke.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:17 pm

i92.9 is also losing to B93!

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:31 am

35 years ago, Lansing was a very active and fun market, with great stations and personalities. Passing through there today, compared to the 80's, it sounds bush league. Even the rimshot FMs are in "retrograde" compared to when they were upgraded and moved into the market. Perhaps we should send some old airchecks to Jeff McCarthy.

"Remember, Colonel Flagg was never here. Tell your people!"

TheForce

Post by TheForce » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:22 pm

If I had a choice between WITL and WWDK, I'd always pick the DUKE. That's the country music I like, not that new garbage country on WITL.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:23 pm

I never doubted that i92.9 was positioned as a spoiler station, perhaps to shave a point or two off of WFMK or Now FM for the benefit of Q106. They simply don't have the signal to go head-to-head with 97.5. Since ownership clusters have been prevalent in the industry, radio is played more like a game of Chess than a station-for-station competition.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

ChrisKun2K5

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:40 pm

For what it's worth, my nephew who lives in Okemos loves Top 40 music and 97.5 is all he listens to. And he's very much into radio and music. I told him there was a second CHR music station in the area. He wasn't even aware i92.9 existed, and to my knowledge he hasn't tuned in once.

Every time I visit family I'm struck by how boring the Lansing radio market is. I find myself tuning into WXLA more than any other station and it doesn't even have any personalities since Westwood One decided to completely automate the America's Best Music format.

Speaking of which, any info on how the MacDonald stations fared?

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:15 pm

Traditionally, lower-powered stations like Class A FM's tend to fare better with niche formats. Find something that sells and isn't being done elsewhere in the market, and run with that. The challenge of going head-to-head with a Class B or C isn't necessarily the overall footprint but the ability of the signal to penetrate reinforced interiors like office buildings, manufacturing plants, etc. May not be as big a deal these days with the ability to stream online, but in my experience building penetration has almost always been a decisive issue.

Consolidation has made for business strategies that would have been unheard of 25 years ago. The focus is no longer on the profitability of any one station, but the overall cluster. There has to be a purpose to i92.9. I just don't know what it is.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:58 pm

This is just my opinion based on personal preference, but I think 97.5 hands down is the best sounding CHR/Pop station in Michigan right now. In fact, I've felt that way for close to a couple years now.

106KHQ used to be my favorite CHR/Pop station, but they began to slide once their former OM/PD headed back to Toledo. (Their ratings have slid, too. What was once a 7 - 8 share radio station is now a 5 - 6 share radio station.)

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic