All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Would be curious to hear an all 90's station in Lansing

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
Justice!

Would be curious to hear an all 90's station in Lansing

Post by Justice! » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:54 am

I don't know if this would work, and to that extent, I don't know that I'd want it to work. More than anything, I think I would be curious to hear an all 90's station in Lansing. I'm sure places like SIRIUS have one, but growing up on radio in Lansing makes me wonder how it would all fit together.

It's not to say there wasn't good music in the 90's. There was. But compared to the 80's, music in the 90's SUCKED. The 80's were a wonderful, care-free time and the music was generally...happier and more enjoyable. I want to relax when I listen to music. In the 90's, everyone was pissed off. Rock was angry, alternative was angry, rap was angry, you get the point. People sang about love in the 80's. In the 90's, it was all about bad-mouthing people and being angry at the world.

There was so much good music in the 80's, it was virtually impossible to catch it all. I could probably pull any HOT 100 chart from the 80's and say I liked at least half the songs on there and still do. The typical song would go up the charts, peak, drop down and drop off. 20 weeks was a long run for a single. In contrast, the Billboard charts for the 90's were SCREWED UP. Songs stayed and stayed (and stayed) for dozens of weeks at a time. It wasn't uncommon for a single to be on the charts for a year or more. And that's because radio had delved into playing the same songs over and over. Did you miss Celine Dion's "Power Of Love"? Well never fear, it will be on again in 90 minutes. It had gotten to the point where if I heard Blues Traveller's "Run-Around" or Barenaked Ladies "One Week" just one more time, I wanted to punch a hole in the wall. And the hilarious things is, I liked all of these songs to begin with. It's just that hearing them incessantly on the radio made me want to never hear them again.

To more accurately describe how awful 90's music is, look at all of the biggest hits of the decade. When is the last time you heard the Macarena, or Elton John's "Candle In the Wind 97", or any of the offerings of Boys II Men, all of which combined spent a total of approximately 800 weeks at #1 in the 90's. Or for that matter, when is the last time you wanted to hear them? I'm sure there must be people out there that like Boys II Men. I, however, have never met any of these people. Can you really imagine Macarena being played today (a song that was really only popular because of some stupid dance)? People would wonder what the hell was wrong with us.

90's music doesn't seem to have staying power. Sure, Ace of Base might have been fine to listen to back in the day, but are we going to youtube or breaking out the cd collection these days to hear it? The latter part of the decade had gotten overloaded with boy bands and bubblegum pop that were enjoyable to the teens and pre-teens of the day. But that's limited to a certain demographic at a certain time and will never repeat itself. If One Direction is old, then NSync is positively ancient. You don't see many thirtysomethings pulling out the Spice Girls.

I don't know that an all-90's station would translate into an enjoyable listening experience, maybe interesting is a more accurate description. It certainly was a weird decade of music. You still had "old-timers" like Rod Stewart sending singles up the charts, you had Christian artists that morphed into adult-contemporary for a time (Amy Grant, Kathy Troccoli), grunge, post-grunge alternative, pop, rock, rap and the resurgence of country crossover hits (singlehandedly kickstarted by Shania Twain). Each genre had its successes, but is this a bunch of ingredients that just don't mix?

Apologies for the long ramble. Just curious what you're thoughts are on this. Is it worth a shot though? Lansing radio doesn't seem to be lighting the world on fire with its ratings.

ChrisKun2K5

Re: Would be curious to hear an all 90's station in Lansing

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:24 pm

In many ways, the '80s were the last decade of mass-appeal Top 40/CHR. The explosive growth of alternative rock, gangsta rap and especially country music in the early '90s left CHR stations that wouldn't or couldn't play those genres in the dust, thus the wave of defections from CHR to Hot AC, Country or other formats. The gulf between the Billboard Hot 100 and the Radio & Records CHR/Pop chart was wide at times. Celine Dion, 2Pac, Seven Mary Three and Tim McGraw may have been sharing Billboard's Top 40, but you'd have been hard-pressed to find a station playing all four.

That splintering of genres would make an "all the hits" all-'90s station impossible, or unlistenable if one were tried. Those genres didn't mix harmoniously even back then - no way would you have a full-time format that played Smashing Pumpkins, Amy Grant, John Michael Montgomery AND En Vogue. The all-'90s or '90s-based stations that have been tried have had the same "genre myopia" as the first wave of all-'80s stations that played almost exclusively new wave and corporate rock with little or no dance or R&B - they've leaned heavily toward the R&B/hip-hop and alternative genres with maybe a mix of late-decade teen/bubblegum. And like the all-'80s stations, they burned out fairly quickly and ended up evolving into some type of Hot AC or flipping to something completely different. Remember I101 in Chicago? Their '90s-based approach lasted maybe a month before they started bringing in the Katy Perry and Lady Gaga.

Theoretically, the closest viable thing to an all-'90s format today would probably be the throwback hip-hop and R&B format, which is neither all-'90s nor all-inclusive.

Justice!

Post by Justice! » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:42 am

Excellent post and I agree, you're probably right. Maybe *I'd* want to hear it, but I'm in the minority there.

What is striking though is the general void in the Lansing market of 90's music. That's not to say you never hear it these days, you do, but there is such a vast swath of the time period that never gets aired anymore, and a lot that hasn't been heard since they were hits. I'm the type of person that will listen to anything if it's good, and to that extent, I've always been curious as to what MIke101.7's ratings are since they play anything. They must be good since its lasted 13 years, even outpacing its predecessor on that channel, Z101.7, which lasted about a decade.

Cume1

Post by Cume1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:58 am

Although I agree, I'm not a big fan of 90s music in general, however, a station that played a lot of 90s would probably do pretty well. People generally love the music they grew up with. If you graduated in 1995, you are now 38 years old. You are a target for advertising. I think an all 90s station would be very niche, just like an all 70s..all 80s etc.., but a station with 90s as a base would probably do well, IMO...BTW, Elton John said he would never perform "Candle In The Wind 97" again. It was a very specials song for that moment in time and that is probably a good reason that it isn't played anymore, and the original version is still the one that most want to hear.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:00 pm

Well, I'm a rock fan, and I've got to say the first half of the decade pretty STUNK for rock music, the exceptions being "Back in Black" (AC/DC) in 1980 and Van Halen's "1984" album.

Music in the first half of the decade was pretty timid; the second half of the decade was much more interesting.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

Justice!

Post by Justice! » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:44 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:00 pm
Well, I'm a rock fan, and I've got to say the first half of the decade pretty STUNK for rock music, the exceptions being "Back in Black" (AC/DC) in 1980 and Van Halen's "1984" album.

Music in the first half of the decade was pretty timid; the second half of the decade was much more interesting.
Well, the great thing about rock music in the 80's was that it was still getting significant airplay on TOP 40 stations. Rock music acts that did well in the 70's carried over their success into the 80's for the most part (Journey, Styx, Foreigner, Aerosmith, etc). Even harder rock like Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister saw some success. Not to mention all the new wave in the first part of the 80's.

The 90's in contrast were almost completely devoid of the rhythmic, foot-stomping anthems that helped define the previous decade. I mean, acts like the Gin Blossoms and the Spin Doctors were good enough, but I don't think anyone was thrashing their head around and bringing the roof down to their music.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:52 am

Some years ago a station owner I worked for recalled reading a piece of research indicating that most people consider the best era of pop/rock music to be whatever was played on the radio in their high school years. That would stand to reason as music is heavily associated with various life experiences at that age. Having graduated in 1983, I tend to gravitate toward music from the 70's and early 80's. My knowledge of and taste in pop and rock starts to waver when it comes to 90's stuff, although I do have an appreciation for some of it. Anything past 2000, I pretty much don't have a clue.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:36 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:00 pm

THAT is the rock I love, but I'm tired of the same old songs. Also, there were a literal TON of good rock stuff that never saw the needle drop on it. That has actually been the case across all genres since the mid 60's, but worse in the late 70's and especially the 80's.

If I were to put on a rock station, I would play from 1964 to present, your typical "progressive rock" sounding songs. I'd have a "songs you probably never heard on the radio" category for each decade, one cut an hour from each decade. Tracks would have that "classic rock" sound, even currents. I'd have a "Discovery" show on weekends with a mix of deep cuts, non charting and maybe even foreign-charting songs.

I'd do a "classic pop" format the same way. Consultants would have strokes, naysayers would be crawling out of the tiles, but I think it would work. And, of course, local talent serving and interacting with their community.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Justice! wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:44 am
The 90's in contrast were almost completely devoid of the rhythmic, foot-stomping anthems that helped define the previous decade. I mean, acts like the Gin Blossoms and the Spin Doctors were good enough, but I don't think anyone was thrashing their head around and bringing the roof down to their music.
There were great rock acts out there during that timeframe, but they were completely ignored by radio. It takes digging crates to find them now, but they exist. One thing I always keep in mind are the number of younger people aged 12 to 35 who've abandoned corporate McRadio, bought retro stereos with turntables and took to crate digging vinyl in search of stuff they never heard of. Why? Because it's WAY BETTER than most of what hits the air nowdays.

There is a thrift store in Brooklyn, NY called "The Thing" that has a H*** basement full of racks upon racks of vinyl. People spend DAYS digging there. I'd so love to check it out someday.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

handsomebradybreaker

Post by handsomebradybreaker » Fri May 04, 2018 11:20 am

Would that mean listening to 24 hours of cruddy boybands? I think not,pardner!!!!!!

organman95

Post by organman95 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:20 am

102.5 Had a block of something like 15 or so songs from the mid-late 90s during lunch hour a few years ago. A little bit of everything. Nirvana, Smash Mouth, Britney Spears, N'Sync, Los Del Rios, Ricky Martin, etc. I liked it.

Holmes

Post by Holmes » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:58 am

This is being done on WBEL-AM and two FM translators at 92.3 and 98.9 in Janesville/Beloit, WI. It's called "Mostly 90's - 92.3 & 98.9 The Beat". Despite the name "The Beat", it's not urban leaning. It's a very very interesting sounding station. Wait til you hear the voice of the station. It's locally programmed and they even have local jocks in all weekday dayparts except overnights. You can hear it at mostly90s.com

..:: HOLMES ::...
APD/MD/on-air 93-1 Jamz - Madison, WI
Facebook :: Twitter ::

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic