All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WLNS-TV channel sharing postponed again

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
statmanmi

WLNS-TV channel sharing postponed again

Post by statmanmi » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:40 pm

July 15, 2018 new deadline: WLNS-TV encoded into WLAJ

(I posted this on AVS Forum last week, but perhaps some audience here wouldn't have seen it there....)

Hi, I've happened across yet another approved extension of the channel sharing implementation date (now to July 15, 2018) for WLNS-TV to be combined into WLAJ's signal:

https://publicfiles.fcc.gov/api/manager ... 3006af.pdf

Change is imminent, but apparently can be fraught with delays and encoder problems.

Note that WLAJ's Construction Permit Modification request from November 2017 to transmit from the WLNS-TV tower (that has the abandoned analog 6 transmitter atop it) as part of their repack effort is still Pending:

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/datae ... eaf6927260

Enjoy! -- Statmanmi

HD74

Re: WLNS-TV channel sharing postponed again

Post by HD74 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:50 pm

I sure hope that transmitter isn't up there, whatta mess it would make descending.
WLNS has two antennas at the top of that stick, a V and a U.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:44 pm

9/18/2016 was the last post on AVS about the Lansing market until yours.
I had thought it was no longer a viable information source, despite conversations being so much more civil there.
Can you keep us posted if anything else develops?
Thanks!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:54 am

HD74 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:44 pm
9/18/2016 was the last post on AVS about the Lansing market until yours.
I had thought it was no longer a viable information source, despite conversations being so much more civil there.
Aw c'mon, we behave ourselves....most of the time. :razz

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 am

BTW, it has not been postponed, the date was set months ago.
You will start seeing crawls and PSA's very soon.
IF you can receive WLAJ, then you should be just fine.
IF you cannot receive WLAJ, best call the Antenna Men, as you will not see WLNS either.

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Fri May 11, 2018 11:18 am

Noticed the crawls last night. June 11th is the big day.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:25 pm

The share is on.
36 will go away on the 11th.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:36 pm

***RANT MODE ON***

So now, Lansing's CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC affiliates will all be broadcasting from TX sites only about 15 miles from Albion, 25 miles from Marshall and 35 miles from Battle Creek.

How STUPID is is that Lansing area TV stations are either subject to blackouts or not carried at all on so many cable systems in & around Calhoun County?

Do viewers in Albion, for example, really want to watch a Grand Rapids-based TV station over one from Lansing?

***RANT MODE OFF***

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:30 pm

Gerrymandering? :(

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:42 am

That's the problem when this stuff is segregated county-by-county.

A year or two ago the cable system in Portland (I think it's WOW although I'm not sure) dropped all Lansing stations in favor of Grand Rapids stations only on their lineup. Portland is much closer to Lansing than G.R. geographically and probably has more Lansing than G.R. commuters, but since it's five miles within the eastern border of Ionia county, it falls under the Grand Rapids DMA. The story made the Lansing State Journal as a number of viewers were upset about the change, but there really wasn't much they could do about outside of putting up an antenna to grab the Lansing stations OTA.

Same thing with the sat providers. A number of years ago when I activated Dish Network service, the rep asked for my zip code to get the locals. When I told her it was 48879 she asked if I was in Clinton county or Gratiot county, as the two counties share the same zip. I told her I was in Clinton county and asked what the difference was. She said that Clinton county residents get the local package from Lansing while Gratiot county residents get locals from Flint/Tri's. If one happens to live on County Line Road (the dividing line), they would get a different local package than their neighbors across the road. It hearkens back to the days when neighbors lived on either side of a state line but would have to pay long-distance charges to call each other because they lived in two separate codes.

YouTube is the Public Access Channel on Crack.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:33 pm

But seriously folks, (Joe Walsh, great album) share has been on the air. 36 goes away Monday at 9a.m. if you are receiving 2 WLNS signals right now, that is good. MONDAY, there will be but one.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:41 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:42 am
That's the problem when this stuff is segregated county-by-county.

A year or two ago the cable system in Portland (I think it's WOW although I'm not sure) dropped all Lansing stations in favor of Grand Rapids stations only on their lineup. Portland is much closer to Lansing than G.R. geographically and probably has more Lansing than G.R. commuters, but since it's five miles within the eastern border of Ionia county, it falls under the Grand Rapids DMA. The story made the Lansing State Journal as a number of viewers were upset about the change, but there really wasn't much they could do about outside of putting up an antenna to grab the Lansing stations OTA.

Same thing with the sat providers. A number of years ago when I activated Dish Network service, the rep asked for my zip code to get the locals. When I told her it was 48879 she asked if I was in Clinton county or Gratiot county, as the two counties share the same zip. I told her I was in Clinton county and asked what the difference was. She said that Clinton county residents get the local package from Lansing while Gratiot county residents get locals from Flint/Tri's. If one happens to live on County Line Road (the dividing line), they would get a different local package than their neighbors across the road. It hearkens back to the days when neighbors lived on either side of a state line but would have to pay long-distance charges to call each other because they lived in two separate codes.
It's WOW. WOW is insanely cheap (Portland would still be getting 6 and 10 if Charter served there; most of Livingston County still gets 6 [which is mostly Comcast and Charter])

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:51 am

We don't know if 6 and 10 were requiring payment of retransmission fees from WOW or not. You are right that WOW is cheap, but I don't know if that was a factor in this instance.

WLNS required FCC intervention to avoid blackout restrictions from being enforced in Livingston County, as I recall. My memory is fuzzy on that. Perhaps someone else reading this recalls the exact circumstances surrounding that.

Portland absolutely should be getting Lansing market stations over Grand Rapids market stations, or at a minimum, the top 2 or 3 Lansing market stations in addition to the Grand Rapids market stations.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:07 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:51 am
We don't know if 6 and 10 were requiring payment of retransmission fees from WOW or not. You are right that WOW is cheap, but I don't know if that was a factor in this instance.

WLNS required FCC intervention to avoid blackout restrictions from being enforced in Livingston County, as I recall. My memory is fuzzy on that. Perhaps someone else reading this recalls the exact circumstances surrounding that.

Portland absolutely should be getting Lansing market stations over Grand Rapids market stations, or at a minimum, the top 2 or 3 Lansing market stations in addition to the Grand Rapids market stations.
Portland should be getting at least 6 and 10 (they do get 23, as do all of WOW's systems in the GR market).

Speaking of 23, I see where they are carried on Comcast's U of M system, but not on Comcast Washtenaw County proper.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:06 pm

When I lived in Ann Arbor many years ago, the local cable system carried (now defunct) WFUM-TV out of Flint, WTVS out of Detroit and WGTE out of Toledo for PBS.

wsummers

Post by wsummers » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:59 pm

Looks like WLAJ/WLNS are going to switch to the old WLNS tower when they move to channel 14.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/datae ... bs/2018003

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic