Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Weather cut-in during the MSU - U-M game

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
Schyster

Weather cut-in during the MSU - U-M game

Post by Schyster » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:07 pm

So what is the consensus on WLAJ cutting away from last night's game in the third quarter to cover the Livingston County tornado warning? While I appreciate the spirit of doing so and the public safety standpoint, does WLAJ/WLNS not have the capability to do a split screen? Or maybe direct viewers in the affected area to switch over to WLNS? Seems like there could have been a way to accomplish getting the information out without wiping the game out for 20 minutes.

I do feel sorry for the poor sap recent college graduate who had to do the cut in. I can only imagine the cursing and rage directed towards him across the region.

tvradiojunkie

Re: Weather cut-in during the MSU - U-M game

Post by tvradiojunkie » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:17 am

Schyster wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:07 pm
While I appreciate the spirit of doing so and the public safety standpoint, does WLAJ/WLNS not have the capability to do a split screen?
I saw someone who works for WLNS say on facebook that they actually don't, which is hard to believe being that it's 2017, but at the same time this is also market #115 we're talking about.

wsummers

Post by wsummers » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:39 am

Never seen anything like it. The possible tornado was in Livingston County in an area not in the WLAJ coverage area. It’s unlikely anyone in the affected area was watching WLAJ over the air instead of Flint or Detroit on cable/satellite. Staying on for 20 plus minutes was crazy..give the report and run a crawl. Fortunately, I have an antenna and switched to 41 and was able to continue enjoying the game.

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:20 pm

wsummers wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:39 am
Never seen anything like it. The possible tornado was in Livingston County in an area not in the WLAJ coverage area. It’s unlikely anyone in the affected area was watching WLAJ over the air instead of Flint or Detroit on cable/satellite. Staying on for 20 plus minutes was crazy..give the report and run a crawl. Fortunately, I have an antenna and switched to 41 and was able to continue enjoying the game.
It wasn't in WLAJ's, but it was in WLNS's, which complicates the whole incident. What they really should've done was only break in on WLNS and just run a scroll on WLAJ. I asked David Young on facebook if that was even possible, and he said no. It was either both or nothing, which is hard to believe.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:41 pm

I agree just a scroll and just have it on the main WLNS for the tornado warning. I remember last year the last weekend during the Olympics their was a tornado warning for about 90 minute and had to cut in on Volleyball match & US women Basketball game which I just flipped it to the basketball channel so I could watch the game I wasn't mad at all because there was a confirm tornado on the ground. Even know just got heavy rain in Kzoo also when there was a major outbreak of server weather in Nov 2013 Wood TV went wall to wall on the weather Fox17 only broke in from time to time just mainly the weather map and scroll the wind was big factor only heard a few rumbles of thunder just heavy rain and winds guessing they were 60MPH maybe 70MPH.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:27 am

There was a time when local radio stations would suspend normal programming during such situations and provide continuous coverage to listeners. The EBS Primary would suspend format for sure, but in many cases other station would follow suit. This is no longer the case with the advent of digital automation and the EAS. Over the last 20 or so years, TV stations have picked up that ball. The upside is that smartphone technology and EAS integration has provided many of us with alternate ways to receive these alerts. The downside is that not everyone has a smartphone, and many still rely on traditional OTA delivery of information. Even if radio still provided wall-to-wall coverage, technology advances such as Doppler radar allow TV stations to give viewers visuals that weren't available even 10-20 years ago.

As far as airing continuous coverage on one station but not another, I can see where that's a tough call. The game had high viewership. Although the tornado warning may have been outside of WLAJ's primary coverage area, it's a good bet that some viewers had friends or relatives in the warning area. With the barrage of graphics that accompanies sports broadcasts these days, a crawl may not have stood out as well or provided quite the sense of urgency. I see it as a better safe than sorry situation.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:13 pm

A split screen would've been the best way to go. There are also ways to make crawls stand out. This sounds like a product of poor planning on the part of the station or technological limitations.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic