Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 10-07-2017 at 9:30a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WKAR-AM to get translator

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
MichiganPhil

Re: WKAR-AM to get translator

Post by MichiganPhil » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Listened to it for a short time in the car Wed. night in East Lansing. No interference while I was listening. RDS identifies it as "WKAR".

rst599

Post by rst599 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:47 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:57 am
Here's what the FCC says about it:

An FM translator may rebroadcast an AM station only if the translator's 60 dBu service contour is within the SMALLER of (1) a 25 mile (40 km) radius circle from the AM station's transmitter site AND (2) the AM station's 2.0 mV/m contour. ...
This changes on April 10 to be the greater of 25 miles or 2 mV/m.

JobyOne

Post by JobyOne » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:13 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:19 pm
WCEN's coverage is protected by the FCC; all translator signals are given zero protection.

If this new station creates a lot of interference with WCEN in Clinton and Shiawassee Counties, it is very possible (assuming no backroom deal has been made) that WCEN will file a complaint with the FCC.

If I were the GM or CE of WCEN, that is precisely what I would do.

Leave it to Sparty to pick a MORONIC frequency to use!!!
While it is correct that translators are given no interference protection under FCC guidelines, it is, in fact, the listening public who would need to notify the FCC of the interference of their listening to WCEN. If the FCC thinks WCEN does not serve an audience in this area they have no reason to act. However, if there happen to be some perturbed listeners of The Moose in the affected locations, the commission would take notice. All complaints to our offices are being directed to voice their displeasure at https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/e ... m_id=38844 .

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:57 pm

Joby - I am not sure that is correct. Unless rules have changed recently (which is certainly possible), the CE of WCEN needs to submit reports of listener complaints to the commission.

WIOT experienced a similar situation about five years ago; you may want to reach out to Denny Moon there. His efforts were successful in getting the interfering translator station shut down. That particular situation is pretty well documented online. In WIOT's case, they submitted copies of listener emails to the commission and also collected data via an online form posted to the WIOT web site.

I know we have a few professional broadcast engineers reading the Buzzboard from time to time. Would love for one of those fine gentlemen to weigh in on this topic.

I wish you guys the best of luck in getting this situation resolved.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

SaveFerris

Post by SaveFerris » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:45 pm

When I called the FCC to complain about the 101.1 translator in Traverse City I was told by them that the complaint must be made by the license holder of the station being interfered with. I will try making a complaint at that URL and see what they say though.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:18 am

Here is an interesting real life example that the folks at WCEN-FM/Alpha Media should closely observe:
https://radioink.com/2017/09/25/birch-s ... n-finally/

Note that resolution necessitated the intervention of the GM & Chief Engineer of the station receiving the interference; the FCC does NOT act based solely on directly submitted listener complaints. (What is more useful is for the victimized station to collect such complaints themselves and to forward evidence of the interference to the FCC via a formal filing.)
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:55 am

You must have made your point MW, they're moving to 105.1 FM...
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:30 pm

That is certainly good news! Sure took long enough.

Link to application:
https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.ex ... num=156707

Link to engineering exhibits:
https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Att ... &exhcnum=2

From 105.1 MHz, a directional pattern will be used. A deep null will exist in the direction of Metro Detroit to protect WMGC-FM.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:16 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:30 pm
That is certainly good news! Sure took long enough.

Link to application:
https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.ex ... num=156707

Link to engineering exhibits:
https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Att ... &exhcnum=2

From 105.1 MHz, a directional pattern will be used. A deep null will exist in the direction of Metro Detroit to protect WMGC-FM.
It will also be a full 250 watts aimed toward Lansing and East Lansing, an upgrade from 190 watts.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic