Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 9-17-2017 at 1:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
Calvert DeForest

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:59 am

EdWalker wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:47 pm
Splouge wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:46 pm
6 is going off the air
6 sold their spectrum, but retains their license and call letters; sharing spectrum with WLAJ. Not certain, but thinking they can retain their virtual channel (6) too.
Yes they can. The only thing that would change is the coverage footprint, as the two licensees would share a single channel, transmitter and tower. Other than that, it's just a matter of a re-scan.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:29 pm

WHTV no longer on air or are they still on the air with home shopping.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:59 pm

MasterB wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:29 pm
WHTV no longer on air or are they still on the air with home shopping.
Still on with Jewelry TV.

EdWalker

Post by EdWalker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:56 pm

WHTV has posted their new sign-off date on their website: Midnight on August 31, 2017.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:27 pm

And the 39 month timetable still seems realistic?
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Otter Mii-kun

Post by Otter Mii-kun » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:40 pm

This whole spectrum auction and repack is one helluva stinkin' pile of horsedung scam! No one will ever convince me that data-capped "mobile broadband" is superior to free over-the-air television (or wired broadband with a Wi-Fi router for that matter)!

The ENTIRE broadcast TV spectrum (both VHF 2-13 and UHF 14-36) could be taken away for mobile broadband and we would STILL be told that "there's not enough spectrum"!
Isn't it nice how deregulation has brought us such oversized and dangerously overleveraged broadcast owners? (Yes, I'm looking at YOU, Sinclair, Nexstar, Cume-U-Less, and iFart!)

SBaxley

Post by SBaxley » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:47 am

WHTV finally went to hash at 12:07 am et. here's how it happened..
-jewlery television hosts at 11:58pm did a toss to the next hosts, then as the next hosts began, there was a cutaway to the start of the WHTV 'My 18" logo ,but before it was complete,it went into a static hold, then color bars , followed by 7 minutes of Jewlery Television, then finally *ZERT* [cheesy sfx] total shutdown

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:34 pm

So I noticed yesterday that Comcast (at least the Jackson system) is running the HD feed of WXSP on ch. 237 and 1043, which are actually both labeled as ION HD (via WZPX). Which leads me to think it'll replace WHTV eventually (which is still a message saying the channel ceased operations).
Just an observation..............

HD74

Post by HD74 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Anyone know if the WHTV equipment has been hauled out of wherever they were last lurking?
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

MichiganPhil

Post by MichiganPhil » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:58 pm

tvradiojunkie wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:34 pm
So I noticed yesterday that Comcast (at least the Jackson system) is running the HD feed of WXSP on ch. 237 and 1043, which are actually both labeled as ION HD (via WZPX). Which leads me to think it'll replace WHTV eventually (which is still a message saying the channel ceased operations).
Just an observation..............
Exact same thing on the East Lansing Comcast system. We're supposed to be getting new channel "neighborhoods" in the next few days. It just means channel grouping by genre.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:28 pm

The fact a cable system in Jackson is carrying a fairly obscure station out of the Grand Rapids market (WXSP) is pretty wild!

I wonder why WXSP was chosen instead of Detroit's WMYD?

I wonder if Nexstar brokered a deal with Comcast to gain carriage of WXSP in Mid-Michigan in place of WHTV?
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:28 pm

^Especially when Comcast in Jackson already carries 4 other Detroit stations (WJBK, WDIV, WXYZ, and WTVS). That's the only thing I can figure, MW.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:08 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:28 pm
The fact a cable system in Jackson is carrying a fairly obscure station out of the Grand Rapids market (WXSP) is pretty wild!

I wonder why WXSP was chosen instead of Detroit's WMYD?

I wonder if Nexstar brokered a deal with Comcast to gain carriage of WXSP in Mid-Michigan in place of WHTV?
If so, it's a smart business move on the part of Nexstar. The sales staff at WLNS/WLAJ could include WXSP as an add-on to their local packages.

Suppose Scripps could have done the same thing with WMYD, being as WSYM previously had the marketing partnership with WHTV, although it may not have been as beneficial for them from a sales standpoint.

craigrussell100

Post by craigrussell100 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:32 am

Two different stations...WXSP owned by Lin (or whoever owns WOOD) is indeed in GR

WZPX Ias the Ion (old Pax--hence the calls) out of Battle Creek

Unless I read that wrong, isnt the Ion on Comcast replacing the former ch 18?
Houghton Lake...Up and Down the dial...

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:15 pm

craigrussell100 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:32 am
Two different stations...WXSP owned by Lin (or whoever owns WOOD) is indeed in GR

WZPX Ias the Ion (old Pax--hence the calls) out of Battle Creek

Unless I read that wrong, isnt the Ion on Comcast replacing the former ch 18?
It actually appears that WXSP is replacing WHTV on Comcast, however it's labeled ION HD (WZPX) and the guide info is for ION as well. The channels that were WHTV still have a message on the screen saying it's gone. I would assume that what was WHTV on Comcast will soon be WXSP.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:16 pm

tvradiojunkie wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:15 pm
It actually appears that WXSP is replacing WHTV on Comcast, however it's labeled ION HD (WZPX) and the guide info is for ION as well. The channels that were WHTV still have a message on the screen saying it's gone. I would assume that what was WHTV on Comcast will soon be WXSP.
Was WZPX/ION previously parked on the channels where WXSP is currently parked? Or is it just a guide error?

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:48 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:16 pm
tvradiojunkie wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:15 pm
Was WZPX/ION previously parked on the channels where WXSP is currently parked? Or is it just a guide error?
Those 2 channels just popped up out of nowhere within the last few days. I think it actually is supposed to be WZPX and ch. 18/235/1018 (what was WHTV) will be WXSP, but I'm not sure.

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:39 pm

WXSP either was an error or just a test. Checked those channels and they are now WZPX in HD.

MichiganPhil

Post by MichiganPhil » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:22 am

tvradiojunkie wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:39 pm
WXSP either was an error or just a test. Checked those channels and they are now WZPX in HD.
Same thing in East Lansing. I think they fixed it on Thursday. Now we don't have WXSP.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:17 am

Probably just a bit of confusion on Comcast's end. WZPX and WXSP are somewhat similar calls. I can see where a tech might get the two mixed up.

As for what will eventually replace WHTV, guess that's yet to be determined. Their network affiliation ended in June, so it sounds like My Network TV has been absent from the lineup for a few months. If it hasn't been replaced in that time, it may be a long wait if it happens at all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic