Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 9-17-2017 at 1:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WoW ... Lame Rumor Mill

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
EdWalker

Re: WoW ... Lame Rumor Mill

Post by EdWalker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:49 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:41 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:18 pm
This reminds me of when Chuck Dees came to town 30+ years ago, and blew up "Lansing's Lazer" (a great station with a lousy rimshot signal) to create the jockless "All Hits" Z-92! The modulation was cranked up so high in an attempt to overcome the signal inefficiencies, that WCSR Hillsdale was being effected by it. Rich, I am sure you remember this. In any event, we've seen this play out before.
Are suggesting that modulation affects distance on FM?

On a co-channel that statement defies the laws of physics.
Exactly. It might have given someone that illusion, but no matter how loud, "a lousy rimshot signal" will not improve. In fact, it would probably be so intolerable to listen to it would be counter-productive.

RichMichaels

Post by RichMichaels » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:28 am

EdWalker wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:48 pm
Hot Hits Rich (and I won't email you), but 92.9 is far from that sort of energy. Its just a radio station without any local connection...DOA. I thought the pros at Midwest were far better than this. I guess they are good at maintaining heritage stations, but drop the ball when it comes to starting something new. Snore. 97.5...even though Stickland is leaving...has little to concern themselves with.

92.9: nothing to see here. Will appreciate the classic hits #s they had and could grow with more sooner than later.
Bingo. I remember Joseph trying to talk me into some faraway place when I was 21 and he said the jocks were allowed 8 seconds max to talk and in some stations your mike was set to turn off automatically. Meh. Not for me.

I thought by now that i92.9 would have switched back to Classic Hits. What a stupid move ... And yeah, they might be close on the music for 12-24 yr old females, everything else just sucks. Typical. Sounds like they ramped up the modulation/distortion. D.O.A.

Anybody catch the rumor that MidWest wants out of Lansing? ... okay, that's my quarterly check in ...

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:12 am

Ahhh....HOT HITS!
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:26 pm

Anybody catch the rumor that MidWest wants out of Lansing? ... okay, that's my quarterly check in ...
Wouldn't surprise me.

Except for maybe a brief moment, they've never had a good ground game in Lansing. Q106 probably bills decently; the other stations are basically fighting for scraps.

The Townsquare stations command an insanely high share of radio advertising dollars in that market, I suspect.

Given relatively unfavorable population trends in the market, the long-term outlook certainly is not good (which only exacerbates the inherent ad revenue issues that exist within the radio business at large).

Ingham County has only 12,500 more residents in 2016 than in 1980; much of that growth has been since 2010. Eaton and Clinton Counties have fared a bit better, growing by about 20,000 - 22,000 each.

Compare that to Kent County (Grand Rapids), whose population during that same period has grown by nearly 200,000(!!!). Neighboring Ottawa County has grown by 125,000.

Here's one possible scenario:
-Sell 92.9 MHz to Michigan State University, so they can use it for 24/7 NPR programming. (There's a chance Alpha at some point will get a f*cking clue, and finally figure out how to shut down the WKAR-AM translator at 94.5 MHz.)
-Sell WWDK (94.1 MHz) and WJXQ to either MacDonald or Krol
-If MacDonald were to acquire 94.1 & 106.1, they'd be at their station limit. And even if those two stations were sold to Krol instead, I'm not sure Krol would want 92.1. So the question is - what to do with 92.1? Maybe the folks behind WWSJ, WOAP or even WION would be interested? Spring Arbor University could be another potential suitor.

I give MacDonald credit. They've found a way to make their Class A signals work. 96.5 pretty much has the same signal disadvantages as 92.1, yet they have terrific brand longevity and a sizable, loyal audience. 101.7 Mike FM has been around for, what, 13 years now ?
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:11 pm

It would not surprise me if Midwest's comprehensive strategy is centered around gaining the best possible market share for Q106. If they can position their other stations to shave the competition's shares here and there, it gives Q a better ranking. Q106 is their full-power cash cow, and I think the other stations are designed as spoilers to ultimately benefit the crown jewel. Could be wrong, but it is a common strategy in group operations with lower-powered signals.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:07 pm

Q106 does not hold a ratings or revenue leadership position in the market, so the scenario you described, Cal, doesn't seem like the right one to employ here.

Midwest needs to try to stabilize if not grow Q106's audience share and should be attempting (valiantly, not half-assedly) to build a successful brand with W25-54. Something that can be a top 5 performer in that demo. i92.9 is not going to get the job done; not even close!
Radio station web sites that do not offer music logs or at least a "songs recently played" list are stupid.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic