Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 5-23-2017 at 5:15p ET have been activated.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
RingtailedFox
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario

Re: WHTV sold in the FCC auction

Post by RingtailedFox » Tue May 16, 2017 11:09 pm

My Network TV decided to switch from being a network with original programming to being a syndication service with a standardized (network-like) branding for participating sstations, much like its ancestor, the Prime Time Entertainment Network of the early 1990s, which would ultimately spawn The WB and UPN (which would in themselves spark the development of The CW and My Network TV, respectively). But yeah, without original programming, it has no real reason to exist. If it acted like The CW Plus (where the network handles network shows and syndicated show rights for small markets), then maybe, MAYBE it could be justified... but even then, The CW got rid of The Daily Buzz morning show...
~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

MichiganPhil

Post by MichiganPhil » Wed May 17, 2017 9:13 am

ftballfan wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 6:44 pm
What will happen with MNTV in Lansing?
I think it should just fad into the sunset, as WHTV is slowly doing. They keep pushing back the last day of broadcasting. It's the TV station that wouldn't die!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed May 17, 2017 10:25 am

My Network TV was Fox's response to the UPN/WB consolidation that spawned The CW. Several Fox O&O's, including UPN-affiliated WWOR in NYC, were cut out of the loop due to CW's blanket affiliation agreement with the Tribune stations. In addition, many UPN/WB affiliates across the country were suddenly left without a network and faced the prospect of reverting to pure indies. Fox seized the opportunity to launch a new network for stations that were left out in the cold.

Granted, the novella niche was unique, but it seemed like it was thrown together in a hurry so it would be ready to go by the time CW launched. The novellas were probably a considerable expense that obviously didn't produce the results Fox had hoped for. The shift to male-oriented fare like WWE Smackdown was night-and-day, and that didn't work either. After that, it was like they just threw in the towel and settled for the cheap off-network syndication. The network, as it is today, has no real brand or identity. CW has found success by focusing on the superhero/sci-fi genre. It would be nice to see My Network find a new and original niche, although I don't know what that would be.

On a side note, I've noticed that WLAJ is now branding themselves as My ABC WLAJ53. Don't know if that indicates anything related to this thread or if it's just a coincidence.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu May 18, 2017 6:31 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 8:38 pm
I'll pick choice C. MNTV has no original programming anyway, does it? Frankly, I don't know why it still exists.
I don't get why MYTV is still around more a TV service like ION TV.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Fri May 19, 2017 9:43 am

MasterB wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:31 pm
The key difference is that ION, and the CW for that matter, provide their O&O's/affiliates with a 24/7 network schedule. My Network TV, to my knowledge, has no such feed. That leaves locals with the task of programming non-network hours, requiring more resources on their part.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Sun May 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 9:43 am
MasterB wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 6:31 pm
The key difference is that ION, and the CW for that matter, provide their O&O's/affiliates with a 24/7 network schedule. My Network TV, to my knowledge, has no such feed. That leaves locals with the task of programming non-network hours, requiring more resources on their part.
Correct, My Network provides 2 hours of programming per day. The local stations need to fill 22 hours.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon May 22, 2017 9:29 pm

WHTV is in with varying strength on an indoor antenna near Ypsilanti

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Fri May 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Website now just says "stay tuned". Hmmmmm........

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Fri May 26, 2017 2:50 pm

There is still an attempt to piggyback onto another station in the market.
turn up the radio! mighty in might!

RingtailedFox
Location: A raccoon's nest high up in a tree in west Windsor, Ontario

Post by RingtailedFox » Fri May 26, 2017 10:57 pm

but... how are we supposed to stay tuned if the station's signing off? :P
~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic