Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. Please visit the newly created "Buzzboard v3.0 features" forum to view announcements as to recently installed new features, as well as to report any issues or share your opinions regarding recent site changes. All accepted new account registrations through 8-17-2017 at 7:30p ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WLNS-TV Sold out in Auction

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
audiophile

Re: WLNS-TV Sold out in Auction

Post by audiophile » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:54 pm

No, WKAR is allocated by the FCC for noncommercial use.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:05 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:44 pm
WLNS currently runs 1080i. That will likely need to be downgraded to 720p if they double-up with WLAJ.
Not necessarily true. Dual 1080i streams can already be found on multiple stations across the country. As long as WLAJ is using the latest technology, running 1080i side-by-side should be no issue at all.
Good point. However, WLAJ currently streams both the primary ABC channel and secondary CW channel in 720p. Question is, could they fit a 1080i stream and two 720p streams in those quarters? Admittedly I don't know, but I can imagine it would be tight.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm concerned about how tightly RF 33 is now packed. Old analog WKAR 23's signal used to go pretty far west. It was a good balance back when WGVU would block certain PBS specials they thought would be too controversial for conservative West Michigan. Now WKAR has to contend with two low-powers in Kalamazoo and Holland.

TheGadgetGuy

Post by TheGadgetGuy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:31 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:44 pm

I'm pretty sure WWMT-DT is running HD on both 3.1 (CBS) and 3.2 (CW), but I cannot recall if 3.2 broadcasts in 720p or 1080i.

Looks like 3.2 is running 720p - http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?r ... MT#station

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:43 am

Could they fit a 1080i stream and two 720p streams in those quarters?
Yes.

They also retain the license and calls.

Analog TV has been gone for a while, but people still think along the same lines.
As pointed out here, what difference does it make which tower a station is on as long as it covers the market? None.

Yes, PSIP identification can have different virtual channels, almost nobody is on the channel the PSIP claims, so what difference will it make that channel 36 is gone to those watching 6.1?

Perhaps a loss of subs will occur to keep the Big Nets happy, there's only so much you can put in the available bandwidth.
Depends on whether new encoder technology is used.
That would be the only noteworthy change.
The only station gone forever in the Lansing-Jackson market is WHTV, and they said that themselves.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:55 am

I haven't heard that a sub-channel can have different callsign, but that may be in the works.
Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:01 pm

I reckon that depends on your definition of sub-channel......

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:35 am

HD74 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:43 am
Could they fit a 1080i stream and two 720p streams in those quarters?
Yes.
Thanks for the clarification - that's good to know (gotta have my Supergirl and Arrow fix)!
Analog TV has been gone for a while, but people still think along the same lines.
As pointed out here, what difference does it make which tower a station is on as long as it covers the market? None.
Technically, yes. However, there are probably some OTA viewers outside the DMA who will feel the pinch. Probably not that big a concern from a sales and marketing standpoint, and with OTA viewership hovering around 18% (last number I saw), it's hard to say just how many viewers will actually be affected, but a few likely will be.
audiophile wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:55 am
I haven't heard that a sub-channel can have different callsign, but that may be in the works.
My understanding is that they can. Channel-sharing agreements allow for more than one licensee to share common spectrum space. Station ownership, licenses, call letters and virtual channel designations are treated independent of assigned spectrum. The only consolidation in this case would be the actual RF channel the two licensees will share.
I'm not a partisan - I'm just here for the free doughnuts!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:14 pm

From what I understand, WLNS and WLAJ will retain their separate licenses and virtual channels but will broadcast on the same RF channel

HD74

Post by HD74 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:36 pm

Fan I believe you are spot on.

That being said, the Lansing DMA is in phase 7 of the transition.
The FCC has released the "phase dates" that they are trying to hit.
Phase 7 is listed as Testing Period Start Date 10/19/2019.
Phase 7 Phase Completion Date 1/17/20.
Guaranteed the weather will absolutely suck for tower work during that time, which may cause 7's completion to be delayed.
Hopefully everyone moving will have their aerial work done earlier, but the tower crews are going to be elsewhere on other phases, so maybe not.
The FCC website has the complete list of reassigned stations and their phase deadlines.
Is there a clown smilie?

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:42 pm

This is completely ludicrous..but that's the government...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic