Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Investigative Reporting

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Investigative Reporting

Post by sinklair » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:29 am

The Investigative Reporters and Editors conference wrapped up in Orlando last week. It’s a great opportunity to see some of the best viewer advocacy efforts and learn from top investigative reporters in the country.

Flint used to have I-Teams at 5 & 12. But that was a long time ago. It’s something that desperately needs to be revived.

So who does 5 send down to learn? No other than the travel queen, News Director Jayne Hodak. She goes to every conference possible… while insisting on the Newsroom hold back on spending due to budget restrictions. Wouldn’t it be better for an actual reporter who will do actual reporting attend these training sessions?

Here’s the photo from Gray’s IRE contingent:
https://twitter.com/graytelevision/stat ... gyq3TWDpqw

Jayne is in the middle left.

Good for Gray to invest in investigative reporting. I’ll be interested in seeing Jayne out on the next I-Team shoot.

Let’s see when the next conference comes along if she gives up her seat for a reporter or photographer who could use the training. Let’s see if GM Ken start to put his foot down on these cross-country management trips.

sinklair

Re: Investigative Reporting

Post by sinklair » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:04 am

According to WNEM staffers, this is a blatant attempt by Hodak to suck up to Gray execs. She’s made it clear that she’s hoping to follow in former WNEM ND Ian Rubin’s footsteps in landing a cushy corporate gig.

Big difference: Jayne was already fired once by Gray… while at WJRT. She was hired at Channel 5 while it was owned by Meredith.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:07 am

Is anyone at 25-66 in Orlando for the Investigative Reporting conference? I already know the answer is no.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:28 am

You are correct. No one from 25-66 attended IRE. Sinclair is far too cheap to send anyone to Florida. Plus they don’t like any of their local reporters to ask any questions that might go counter to the approved conservative talking points approved by David Smith.

I’m pretty sure comic Bryon Allen didn’t send anyone from WJRT to the conference either. He’s probably saving up money for his next poorly produced show.

So kudos to WNEM for sending the one person who does absolutely no reporting to a conference for Investigative Reporters (it’s literally in the groups name).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic