Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Sinclair wants you to buy new TVs

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Sinclair wants you to buy new TVs

Post by sinklair » Wed May 10, 2023 7:30 am

Sinclair wants to make every old TV obsolete:

https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/fcc-n ... clair-says

What the article doesn’t mention is that Sinclair is pushing the move to sunset ATSC 1.0 for financial reasons. First, it has agreements with many TV makers to put their NextGen chips into their TV sets. Secondly, the new broadcast towers to distribute the ATSC 3.0 signal are made by Dialetric, owned by Sinclair. And third, the old ATSC 1.0 spectrum would be sold back to companies at a profit. How? I’m not sure since the “public airwaves” are owned by the FCC, so Sinclair’s evaluation of the spectrum I think is premature. But it shows the Corporate Death Star’s greed on full display.

Matt

Re: Sinclair wants you to buy new TVs

Post by Matt » Wed May 10, 2023 8:46 am

sinklair wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 7:30 am
Sinclair wants to make every old TV obsolete:

https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/fcc-n ... clair-says

What the article doesn’t mention is that Sinclair is pushing the move to sunset ATSC 1.0 for financial reasons. First, it has agreements with many TV makers to put their NextGen chips into their TV sets. Secondly, the new broadcast towers to distribute the ATSC 3.0 signal are made by Dialetric, owned by Sinclair. And third, the old ATSC 1.0 spectrum would be sold back to companies at a profit. How? I’m not sure since the “public airwaves” are owned by the FCC, so Sinclair’s evaluation of the spectrum I think is premature. But it shows the Corporate Death Star’s greed on full display.
Stink, can you even read? This article you linked is about an FCC taskforce. Not everything is about the company that has the good sense to end your employment. Get over it - you look really pathetic.
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed May 10, 2023 6:36 pm

Matt: reread the article and my additional context (AKA what was left out).

And get your facts straight if you choose to call out me and other posters. Me leaving 25-66 is not the same as them ending my employment. #factsmatter

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 10, 2023 11:33 pm

sinklair wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 6:36 pm
Matt: reread the article and my additional context (AKA what was left out).

And get your facts straight if you choose to call out me and other posters. Me leaving 25-66 is not the same as them ending my employment. #factsmatter
#NoOfferToKeepYou
Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 11, 2023 7:35 am

Cable, satellite and streaming viewers would be unaffected by any change involving the ATSC transmission standard. Stations right now, in many markets, are broadcasting dual ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 signals. It makes sense that at some point transmission will solely occur in ATSC 3.0 format. Just like with the conversion from analog to digital, I suspect converter boxes will be made available that allow "backward compatibility" with ATSC 1.0 receivers.

It is also logical that the FCC will auction excess TV channel bandwidth once the conversion from 1.0 to 3.0 occurs. That ability was a value proposition of 3.0 technology from the get-go. Recall that an auction occurred several years following the analog shutoff and subsequent repacking of broadcasts to RF channel 36 and below. WFUM-TV chose to participate and accepted the bid it received. Some portion of the proceeds went to the government; most of the proceeds went to WFUM-TV.

Finally, there is no reason at all to replace "broadcast towers" to distribute the new "ATSC 3.0" signal. ATSC 3.0 is on the air now in Metro Detroit, West Michigan and perhaps other places in Michigan. Might the transmitting antennas that are mounted atop or on a leg of those towers need replacing? Yes. STL equipment may need replacing as well.

https://www.tvtechnology.com/opinions/t ... or-atsc-30
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

KeenerGold

Post by KeenerGold » Thu May 11, 2023 10:08 am

ATSC 3.0 is available in three Michigan markets:

Detroit - WMYD.
Grand Rapids - WOLP-CD and WXSP-CD.
Flint-Tri Cities - WBSF

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Thu May 11, 2023 10:05 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 7:35 am
WFUM-TV chose to participate and accepted the bid it received. Some portion of the proceeds went to the government; most of the proceeds went to WFUM-TV.
Rather, Central Michigan University -- the last few years of its life, it was WCMZ-TV. After it sold its bandwidth, they walked the license back to Washington for cancellation and pulled out of Flint, with CMU focusing on WCMU and its Northern Michigan transmitters.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu May 11, 2023 11:08 pm

Add WKAR in Lansing to the list of ATSC 3.0 stations.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Fri May 12, 2023 10:36 pm

In Detroit, The Pearl TV consortium uses WMYD as the ATSC 3.0 host for many separate streams of competing originators. The main services of WXYZ, WMYD, WJBK, WDIV, WWJ are carried as ATSC 3.0 OFDM on Scripps' RF 31 transmitter/antenna in Oak Park. If you look at what actual transmitters and locations everyone's 1.0 main and "sub channels" are now on, you'll find the interesting oddball cooperative facilities sharing that had to occur to allow for both schemes to operate during the NextGen transition.
At some point, once ATSC 1.0 finally sunsets, the various signals will probably again originate from their 'home' sites. I don't see why there would be any need for expansion or contraction of spectrum, or transmission facilities, beyond what's been done for the repack. Since there is no "hard out" set for ATSC 1.0, it's still gonna be a while.
Part of the looong open-end transition is to allow for the majority of receivers now in use to hit their End of Life, so pretty much nobody is going to have to buy a new TV, despite certain conspiracy theories to that effect.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 16, 2023 9:43 pm

i disagree with any notion that the FCC will not seek to further compress the TV spectrum at some point once ATSC 1.0 goes away. ATSC 3.0 enables much more high definition programming to be crammed into a given amount of bandwidth.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic