Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Betting public not loving MSU and UM this week

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
Honeyman

Betting public not loving MSU and UM this week

Post by Honeyman » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:56 am

Spartan line opened at 17 and has been bet up to 20 1/2. Michigan was -7 and has been bet down to 4 1/2.

The censorship king from out of state.

Honeyman

Re: Betting public not loving MSU and UM this week

Post by Honeyman » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:02 am

Spartan line has stayed at 20/20.5 all week. More money has come in on Iowa, the line is now 3 1/2 everywhere.

Personally, I am not betting a side in either game. FWIW, I do really like the under (47 1/2) in the Michigan-Iowa game though.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Turns out, Michigan won by 7 points today. Vegas had it right the first time.

Iowa shot themselves in the foot on their second to last drive of the game. I mean - how often does one see a friggin' 1st and 30? :eek Penalties followed by some great sacks by Michigan's defense helped save the game.

Iowa did pick up a couple crucial first downs on their final drive, but it wasn't enough. Too many incomplete passes by Iowa. Referees missed not one but two (!!!) holds - one of which was especially egregious - committed by Iowa's offensive line on a passing play during Iowa's final possession of the game, and I believe the result of that passing play was a first down.

Both teams played great games defensively; Michigan was better in that area, though.

Michigan's running game and their offensive line both continue to concern me big time.

Jake Moody missed a fairly easy 34 yard field goal in the middle of the fourth quarter; the ball sailed just wide of the right upright. Thankfully, those points were not needed.

Overall, I'd say Iowa and Michigan are two evenly matched teams.

Final play of the game was much more interesting than it should've been; I have no idea how on earth Stanley was able to stand on his feet long enough to throw the ball to complete a pass to an open receiver! He was swarmed by Michigan defenders for a good six or seven seconds!

I agree with what Orion Sang of the Detroit Free Press writes here:
Michigan emerged with a hard-fought win, with Big Ten title hopes still intact. The Wolverines found a way to beat a top-15 opponent, which should count for something.

But it was hardly a convincing victory considering the offensive struggles, which don't portend good things with Penn State, Notre Dame, Michigan State and Ohio State remaining on the schedule.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:55 pm

As much as I would like to see both teams tonight disqualified, this is the only game of the year I will root for MIchigan State.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:56 pm

Iowa is a weird team. I'll take an ugly 10-3 win over them any day!

Shea isn't the guy. In this system, the qb run threat has to be there and it isn't.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:57 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:55 pm
As much as I would like to see both teams tonight disqualified, this is the only game of the year I will root for MIchigan State.
Ohio State by 4 tds.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:53 pm

I completely agree about Iowa being weird.

MSU is another team where I'd apply that label.

I'm not ready to give up on Patterson...yet. However, Matt makes a great point. Patterson seems incapable of scrambling for decent yardage this season. I think that is symptomatic of weakness in the O-Line. Great pass distance and accuracy can mitigate that. However, his passing game also seems tepid so far this season. Add it all up, and Michigan's offense just seems flat if not inept when facing good teams.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:02 pm

Matt wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:57 pm
fuzzpower wrote:
Ohio State by 4 tds.
I was close!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:20 am

Matt wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:02 pm
Matt wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:57 pm
fuzzpower wrote:
Ohio State by 4 tds.
I was close!
We both know that wasn't THE game. :mrgreen:
Last edited by moldyoldie on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:23 am

Honeyman wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:02 am
FWIW, I do really like the under (47 1/2) in the Michigan-Iowa game though.
Nailed that one!

There is a Big Ten adage...."Away Iowa is a different team than Kinnick Iowa". Proved very true Saturday. I did think the Michigan defense was impressive, however Stanley was terrible.

No major early movements this week. MSU went from + 9 1/2 to 10, Michigan at -19. I don't think the Spartans cover, though we clearly match up better with Wisconsin than we do OSU. Run defense "should" be a strength on Saturday. We won;t be losing by 35 points at any point during the game though...that''s for sure.
Last edited by Honeyman on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:17 am

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:23 am
Honeyman wrote:
Nailed that one!

There is a Big Ten adage...."Away Iowa is a different team than Kinnick Iowa". Proved very true Saturday. I did think the Michigan defense was impressive, however Stanley was terrible.

No major early movements this week. MSU went from + 9 1/2 to 10, Michigan at -19. I don't think the Spartans cover, though we clearly match up better with Wisconsin than we do OSU. Run defense "should" be a strength on Saturday. We won;t be losing by 35 points at any point during the game though...that''s for sure.
Guess what? Michigan State lost by 38 points!

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:58 am

ftballfan wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:17 am
Honeyman wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:23 am
Honeyman wrote:
Nailed that one!

Guess what? Michigan State lost by 38 points!

Touché. And the game wasn't as close as the score indicated.

Never been this disillusioned with an MSU team since the John L. era. Lewerke seems completely lost, not a good sign for a senior QB. Defense is deteriorating, and the stupid penalties continue. Unless we run the table, a virtual impossibility, I think Dantonio is done.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic