Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Robert Liggett passes...

Miss the posts from your favorite flame artist or troll who added little to no value to the Buzzboard? Read 'em here!
Jeff Dugan

Re: Robert Liggett passes...

Post by Jeff Dugan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:25 pm

Sorry to hear of Mr.Liggetts passing, I’ll pray for his family’s loss.

Jeff Dugan

Post by Jeff Dugan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:44 pm

I would imagine that at some point the Port Huron Stations could go up on the selling block.

Jeff Dugan

Post by Jeff Dugan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:45 pm

I doesn’t matter what the mans religion was, what matters is he contributed to society and provided for his family and employees.

Jeff Dugan

Post by Jeff Dugan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:51 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:20 pm
I always thought that people were free to mourn in their own traditions.

I don't have any idea about what "El Maleh Rachamim" is. I wish TC would explain it.

Otherwise, it just sounds like Madonna and Kabbalah.

It is a Stereotype that most radio people, particularly commercial station owners, are Jewish. And many air personalities that have ambiguous sounding surnames are assumed to be able to work Sundays. "You wouldn't mind working Sundays, right?" It doesn't hold true in most of Michigan. And I see no end to the complaints here about Christian radio stations and translators in Michigan.

Let's just celebrate Mr. Liggett's life and work.
I totally agree with you Ben, Maybe TC can explain what “El Maleh Rachamim” is, I myself am Catholic.

Jeff Dugan

Post by Jeff Dugan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:35 pm

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:20 am
Chris1980 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:24 pm
Didn't he also run 96.1 WHNN and the short-lived "Class FM" WCLS in Detroit? He had quite the Adult Contemporary fiefdom in Michigan in the mid-'80s.
Bob bought WABX in 1983 to make an entry into the Detroit market. He initially brought in the late Paul Christy to program a CHR format, replacing the legacy AOR format. It was an attempt to take on WHYT, which was programming Mike Joseph's Hot Hits at the time. The CHR format didn't fare so well and lasted less than a year, although I remember listening to it and though it was very well-executed. WABX's CHR approach was more free-form as where WHYT was tightly structured in regard to both music and air talent. Cap Cities was a bigger company with a bigger budget for promotion and giveaways, which is probably what kept WABX from picking up steam.

WCLS (Class FM) was Bob's second attempt to make 99.5 a success. He brought in Tim Moore to set up a mainstream AC format closer to what was programmed on his other stations. Detroit had two established AC stations at the time (WNIC and WMJC), making it just as tough a nut to crack. I remember working at WITL in 1995 when Bob met with the staff to announce the plan for Liggett Broadcasting to buy the station. He described the Detroit experience as getting his "nose bloodied". Medium markets were his forte.

My prayers for Bob and condolences to his family.
Didn’t Jim Harper and Lorraine Golden at some point have ownership of 99.5 before Mr. Liggett ?

Jeff Dugan

Post by Jeff Dugan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:12 pm

Thanks, I do believe the calls were WDTX Musicradio 99.5 Detroit’s New Music. And wow Winchester Mall which is now just a memory.

Jeff Dugan

Post by Jeff Dugan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:58 pm

Paul Christy always seemed to come across as an arrogant individual when I had talked to him back in the 80’s, He always had an attitude like he knew everything about the radio biz and everyone else’s ideas were no good.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic