Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Overplayed Classic Rock Songs

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
borderboy653659200

Re: Overplayed Classic Rock Songs

Post by borderboy653659200 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:34 am

Willie108,I wish it was 1974,as I'd be turning 21 instead of 66 July 6 .

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Sat May 11, 2019 10:07 am

It seems so circular, people only recognize a handful of artists and songs, so that’s all that is played, so those become the only songs people hear, therefore the only ones people recognize anymore. So you have a handful of songs that get played all day, everyday, and many people are tried of hearing them and turn to something else. Now it still seems limited to 150 to 200 songs at most. I remember when classic rock stations would advertise no repeats as a reason to tune in. Now it seems like they will repeat the same songs over and over, don’t worry you won’t hear anything you can’t immediately recall.

WLLZ has been slowly adapting and I actually appreciate that. The 420 deep cut has me listening to commercials on my ride home from the office, because I am looking forward to hearing something different played. A song I haven’t heard in a long time, maybe a song a had forgotten about but still love, or maybe even a song I never heard before but might end up tracking down to listen again. I noticed on their play list they have moved to some early songs by certain bands. For example when they first started out most of the Def Leppard tracks were off Hysteria, now they are playing more Pyromania and High n Dry which is nice because I will switch immediately if I hear “Pour Some Sugar on Me”.

I just wish they would expand their playlist to 500 or 600 songs. 100 that might be heavy rotation, but the rest that help fill out the day so it doesn’t seem to be the same artists and the same songs.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat May 11, 2019 11:23 am

Willie108 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:41 am
While these songs are burnt to a crisp, and it's a great idea to play deeper album cuts, it'll never happen, and I'll tell you why. To the average listener, these are recognizable songs. They want songs they know. No PD or MD worth his/her weight in you-know-what is going to program a bunch of B-sides, obscure album cuts, and stiffs just to satisfy a bunch of music snobs. I agree..."I Could Be Good For You by 707, the Kings, Kingbees, The Korgis, and others are great. I played them when they were new, but average listeners want songs they recognize. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, but in today's world...that's the way it is. It's not 1974 anymore, sadly.
Especially at Christmas.

It's almost like the old Mad magazine feature:
One music listener has specialized tastes.
Two music listeners like what they have in common.
Three music listeners just want something familiar on in the background.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat May 11, 2019 11:37 am

szmigiel wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:07 am
It seems so circular, people only recognize a handful of artists and songs, so that’s all that is played, so those become the only songs people hear, therefore the only ones people recognize anymore. So you have a handful of songs that get played all day, everyday, and many people are tried of hearing them and turn to something else. Now it still seems limited to 150 to 200 songs at most. I remember when classic rock stations would advertise no repeats as a reason to tune in. Now it seems like they will repeat the same songs over and over, don’t worry you won’t hear anything you can’t immediately recall.

WLLZ has been slowly adapting and I actually appreciate that. The 420 deep cut has me listening to commercials on my ride home from the office, because I am looking forward to hearing something different played. A song I haven’t heard in a long time, maybe a song a had forgotten about but still love, or maybe even a song I never heard before but might end up tracking down to listen again. I noticed on their play list they have moved to some early songs by certain bands. For example when they first started out most of the Def Leppard tracks were off Hysteria, now they are playing more Pyromania and High n Dry which is nice because I will switch immediately if I hear “Pour Some Sugar on Me”.

I just wish they would expand their playlist to 500 or 600 songs. 100 that might be heavy rotation, but the rest that help fill out the day so it doesn’t seem to be the same artists and the same songs.
Great post..........and Im doing the same thing.On my way home from work around 330 Im already tuned to WLLZ so i dont miss the 420 deep cut.Im so sick of the same crap over and over Im looking forward to what will be played.

I think LLZ knows theyre on to something with the deep cuts in between the mandatory corp. playlist.Its nice to have some competition to Beasley and this time i think theyre in for a real rock war we havent seen on the dial for a long time.

Side notes for Windsor area........was in the Beer Store last week and they were playing over the speakers WLLZ and had a couple folks ask me where I got the Wheelz stickers and noticed a few drivers behind me at a stop light reaching to tune their radio when they see the sticker on my back window of my Caravan.There's still power in those radio station stickers.Rarely see any these days on vehicles.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

SixPlusOne

Post by SixPlusOne » Sun May 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Let It Be by The Beatles

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sun May 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Is it me, or The Whos " Who Are You" 1) overplayed and 2) one of the only Who songs that still gets much play anymore?

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:36 pm

Back then, 96 WHNN in Saginaw, MI played The Who "Who Are You" by using "Who the f--k are you" back then!! But not anymore, because radio stations have to blank that out!!

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sun May 12, 2019 11:42 pm

matt1 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:36 pm
Back then, 96 WHNN in Saginaw, MI played The Who "Who Are You" by using "Who the f--k are you" back then!! But not anymore, because radio stations have to blank that out!!
That’s a fairly recent phenomenon.
All the stations used to play Pink Floyd’s “Money” with the word “ bull****” unedited. Now the word is removed whenever it’s played now.
Also Aerosmith’s “mama kin” used to air unedited. Now the word sounds like a scratched or skipped record.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:07 am

Also 96 WHNN (when it was a rock station April 1978 - June 21, 1981) also played "Money" by Pink Floyd by using "Bulls--t" on radio!!

matt1

Post by matt1 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:09 am

Not to mention Jefferson Starship "Stairway To Cleveland" (from 1981 "Modern Times") also was playing on 96 WHNN "Format Free" (Sunday nights from January 1981 till June 21, 1981) & the word came on "F--k you, we do what we want!"

mkhopper

Post by mkhopper » Mon May 13, 2019 12:21 pm

What's even worse than listening to the utterly overplayed tracks is listening to people call in requesting those overplayed tracks.
"OMG I can't believe I'm on! Could you play Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi??"

Because, you know, they haven't heard that song for at least 30 minutes.

Sgt. Sackto

Post by Sgt. Sackto » Mon May 13, 2019 2:50 pm

Rush Limbaugh talking about his days as a music DJ. Says he was told that if a song was overplayed listeners would tolerate it but one clunker song and that would cause listeners to tune out. Hence "approved" playlists were kept very short. Mystery solved on the done to death songs but also good incentive to find something other than broadcast radio for music.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Mon May 13, 2019 7:41 pm

[quote=mkhopper post_id=572742 time=1557764511 user_id=1181]
What's even worse than listening to the utterly overplayed tracks is listening to people call in [i]requesting[/i] those overplayed tracks.
"OMG I can't believe I'm on! Could you play Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi??"

Because, you know, they haven't heard that song for at least 30 minutes.
[/quote]

I agree but with some small exception. I can imagine some kid out there who is just discovering classic rock for the first time in their life. They don't know what is or is not over played. If they call in and request Stairway To Heaven I have to give them some slack.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Mon May 13, 2019 11:01 pm

"Carry On Wayward Son" . I saw Kansas in concert years ago, and I swear they played other songs I knew as well. It couldn't have been just that one song in different tempos.

Most ZZ Top songs played from "Eliminator". I love the band and have their albums even up to the present day ("I Gotsta Get Paid" indeed, Billy), but "Gimme All Sharp Dressed Legs Under Pressure" can't be all anybody likes by them. I know "La Grange" and "Tush" still show up, but I got soured on a lot of their early songs on the radio after the Six-Pack remixes became all radio wanted to use. It made all of their music sound like it was recorded in the early 80's, and ruined a lot of great songs for me for many years.

As to a young person discovering classic rock for the first time, that's a great scenario to imagine, but it would mean them also choosing over-the-air radio over any other option, and I'm thinking that the likelihood meter starts dropping precipitously at that point.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Mon May 13, 2019 11:45 pm

Musicrewired wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:01 pm
"Carry On Wayward Son" . I saw Kansas in concert years ago, and I swear they played other songs I knew as well. It couldn't have been just that one song in different tempos.

Most ZZ Top songs played from "Eliminator". I love the band and have their albums even up to the present day ("I Gotsta Get Paid" indeed, Billy), but "Gimme All Sharp Dressed Legs Under Pressure" can't be all anybody likes by them. I know "La Grange" and "Tush" still show up, but I got soured on a lot of their early songs on the radio after the Six-Pack remixes became all radio wanted to use. It made all of their music sound like it was recorded in the early 80's, and ruined a lot of great songs for me for many years.

As to a young person discovering classic rock for the first time, that's a great scenario to imagine, but it would mean them also choosing over-the-air radio over any other option, and I'm thinking that the likelihood meter starts dropping precipitously at that point.
The modern robotic ZZ Top songs are far from my faves. "Cheap Sunglasses", "Blue Jean Blues", "Heard ItOn The X" are more my cup of tea.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic