Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2019 NFL Draft

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

2019 NFL Draft

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:32 am

This draft is loaded with D-line and linebacker talent and one of 'em has a great chance falling to the Lions at #8, especially if QB-needy teams go that route ahead of us. Unlike some folks, I'm not sold on CB Greedy Williams out of LSU despite the Lions' need at the position. Despite his obvious coverage ability and ball skills, the knock on him is that he's a bad and "unwilling" tackler. That's something I simply cannot abide!

Also, TE T.J. Hockenson out of Iowa seems to be on everyone's top 10 list of best players available. Despite the Lions' recent free agent signing of TE Jesse James, it wouldn't shock me to see Hockenson taken. I know fans would be disillusioned, but maybe the third time's the charm after Pettigrew and Ebron. :razz

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Re: 2019 NFL Draft

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:01 am

Some of these mock drafts I'm reading really give the Lions no respect, just assuming they'll trade down so another needy team can grab a stud at #8. I'll just say that GM Bob Quinn often surprises (and flummoxes!) with his picks that the entire NFL fiefdom from scouts to pundits think they're absurd reaches; e.g., Teez Tabor, Tracy Walker, even last year's Frank Ragnow...and what was the name of that long-snapper?
I can hardly wait! :hat

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:35 pm

Lions need a QB, but won’t take one, unless it’s late in the draft.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:19 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:35 pm
Lions need a QB, but won’t take one, unless it’s late in the draft.
The Cardinals will be fielding offers for #1 overall right up till they hand in their card. What if all the Kyler Murray hoopla is a big smokescreen and he falls to #8? :shock: :lol

The Lions don't need a QB; I truly believe Stafford was playing hurt for most of last season. Would they pony up for Murray or another QB like Haskins when they have more pressing needs elsewhere? More interestingly, might they be in the Josh Rosen trade discussions? I also heard all-everything CB Patrick Peterson has implied in a tweet a desire to move on and any trade the Cardinals would consider also has to include Rosen. Now, imagine a duo of CBs the likes of Peterson on one side and Darius "Big Play" Slay on the other! :hat

I love all these subversive rumors! :lol

Seriously, I saw a new mock draft this morning with a scenario of several QB-needy teams trading up into the top ten and stud edge rusher Josh Allen of Kentucky falling right into the lap of the Lions! :eek

- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:26 pm

Jags snatched up Allen 1 spot ahead of Detroit.

Now onto Detroit's pick - a tight end? Granted there was a need at that position but that's a bit of a risky pick 8th overall. Not sure I like it.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:52 am

Stafford has been garbage pretty much his whole career. All of that money and no playoff wins.

A tight end? What a waste.

Kyler Murray has bust written all over him, but what do you expect from the Cardinals?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:24 am

Count on the Raiders to throw a monkey wrench into the works. :lol Clelin Ferrell over Josh Allen? REALLY? :? I thought the late Al Davis was an eccentric drafter; Mike Mayock is taking up the mantle.

The Giants reaching for their QB Daniel Jones at #6 threw another curveball. Stud defenders like Burns, Oliver, and Bush (and almost Allen!) were dropping into the Lions laps, but Quinn & company apparently stuck to their board. I'm not gonna judge the pick of Hockenson before a single down is played, but I do imagine what the Lions defense could have looked like. (sigh)

FWIW, we'll be the first team to test Kyler Murray in the regular season. :hat (Sorta like Sam Darnold last season in that season-opening Monday night debacle :rolleyes )

- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:14 pm

Goodness gracious, Quinn is playing "smartest guy in the room" again. LB Jahlani Tavai out of Hawaii is a projected special teams contributor and backup -- a fourth or fifth rounder chosen in the second round, a la Teez Tabor. :rolleyes Meanwhile, we pass on a top CB or O-lineman.

- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:16 pm

Ok, seriously WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS TEAM? For their 2nd round pick, they go with somebody who was projected to go mid-third-round to early-fourth-round - somebody who the crew at ABC and ESPN covering this literally had no film ready to go and had absolutely ZILCH to say about it - instead opting to discuss for 3 more minutes Denver's pick.

Their pick, btw, was Hawaii Linebacker Jahlani Tavai. He likely would still have been on the board when their next pick came around. At the very least if they really wanted him they could have traded down.

I'm as speechless as the ESPN crew. I just don't know what else can be said about this team.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:55 am

From Dane Brugler, NFL Draft analyst of The Athletic:
43. Detroit Lions: Jahlani Tavai, LB, Hawaii
Jahlani! One of my favorite players in this year’s class. A modern day linebacker, he has inside-out versatility with the skills to play any down. His tape shows a player who can rush, drop and cover. He was "out of sight, out of mind" because he was from Hawaii and missed the Senior Bowl and Combine, but I LOVED his tape. Great pick by the Lions.
Rumor has it Bill Belichick loved this guy, hence the pick. Surprise, surprise. :razz Did we snatch him or were we hoodwinked? :lol

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:22 am

It's a fucking horrible pick. Hawaii produces crap as far as pros go. Guy played in a weak conference and is coming off an injury.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:44 am

I keep reading the player Tavai most resembles is Kyle Van Noy, the LB who failed in Detroit but has found success in New England. I guess Quinn & Company are trying to make up for past mistakes. :lol Looking at his tape on YouTube, he looks slower than molasses.

The third-rounder, S Will Harris of Boston College, same story -- projected special teamer with 4th or 5th round value. Supposedly a Pasqualoni pick from the midst of Patriot country. Hard hitter with negligible ball skills.

As long as this regime is in place, I think we'd better get used to the fact they're trying to remake this team into Belichick's image. I like what the NFL Network commentator called these 2nd and 3rd rounders -- "culture picks". The scheme reigns supreme.

(edit)
Hey, here's someone who actually mocked Tavai in the second round!

(edit 2)
Interestingly and FWIW, I found this which ranked Tavai and Harris #89 and #96 overall respectively, about where the Lions drafted them.

- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:19 pm

I am calling it now: Lions go 5-11.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:27 pm

Yeah, I think this upcoming season will see an outcome similar to last season. I'll be a little more optimistic and go 7-9.

Jeff Seidel of the Detroit Free Press wrote a great column this afternoon regarding the Lions' draft selections:
https://www.freep.com/story/sports/colu ... 600318002/

Headline: Detroit Lions' NFL draft haul like getting socks for Christmas

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:11 am

Wow, we drafted not one, but TWO tight ends to add to free agent signing Jesse James. Methinks a whitewashing of the position is in the cards. Bad news for holdover Michael Roberts whom I was so high on.

Our late round picks are certainly "inspiring" as CB Amani Oruwariye, WR Travis Fulgham, and RB Ty Johnson all look as if they could make immediate contributions; especially Oruwariye. The thought of again seeing Teez Tabor manning one side of the defensive backfield gives me the shakes.

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic