Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Guilty! Yes, yes, OH YES!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Guilty! Yes, yes, OH YES!

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:22 pm

A conviction of involuntary manslaughter is certainly better than nothing, but IMO he should've been convicted of second degree murder - or as an added charge - intent to do great bodily harm.

Based on the video everyone has seen, Bessner had no reason at all to fire the taser. He should've simply gotten the plate number off the ATV, run a LIEN system check, and then apprehended the vehicle and suspect later in the day or the following day at his place of residence for fleeing & alluding.

Grimes was not driving at a high rate of speed, and he was not a danger to other motorists or to the officers.

Common sense suggests firing a taser at an ATV motorist (or similarly, a motorcyclist) is going to cause said individual to lose control of the vehicle, fall off it, and incur life threatening injuries.

Ohio_Quebecois

Post by Ohio_Quebecois » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:50 pm

Agreed, MW, he got off easy here. If he didn't intend to severely injure or kill the victim then he clearly had no logic at all. The first thing he should have expected to happen was Grimes to fall off the vehicle.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Ohio_Quebecois wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:50 pm
Agreed, MW, he got off easy here. If he didn't intend to severely injure or kill the victim then he clearly had no logic at all. The first thing he should have expected to happen was Grimes to fall off the vehicle.
Many are rationalizing that by saying that if he hadn’t been doing it in the first place it never would have happened and so the kid had it coming to him... the old Darwin Award theory...

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:00 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:22 pm
A conviction of involuntary manslaughter is certainly better than nothing, but IMO he should've been convicted of second degree murder - or as an added charge - intent to do great bodily harm.

Based on the video everyone has seen, Bessner had no reason at all to fire the taser. He should've simply gotten the plate number off the ATV, run a LIEN system check, and then apprehended the vehicle and suspect later in the day or the following day at his place of residence for fleeing & alluding.

Grimes was not driving at a high rate of speed, and he was not a danger to other motorists or to the officers.

Common sense suggests firing a taser at an ATV motorist (or similarly, a motorcyclist) is going to cause said individual to lose control of the vehicle, fall off it, and incur life threatening injuries.
He was clearly flying through stop signs while being chased... how can that possibly not be a danger to the public?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:29 pm

People in Detroit run through stop signs all the time; the penalty shouldn't be death by excessive force.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:29 pm
People in Detroit run through stop signs all the time; the penalty shouldn't be death by excessive force.
Not saying it should... I’m just saying you should find a different route than “he wasn’t a danger to the public”... he even looked like he was moving along pretty fast for the kind of vehicle he was on... was there even a plate on it?

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:12 am

Glad that I was never shot... The police used to chase me quite often, mostly when I was on a snowmobile.

Dad has three bullet holes in the deck lid of his Olds... Bloomfield Township fired on him but that was the late '50's.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:06 am

FET-500 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:12 am
Glad that I was never shot... The police used to chase me quite often, mostly when I was on a snowmobile.

Dad has three bullet holes in the deck lid of his Olds... Bloomfield Township fired on him but that was the late '50's.
Do you have a tendency to do stupid things in or on vehicles?

jsf

Post by jsf » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:10 am

Why didn't the kid stop?

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:14 am
jsf wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:10 am
Why didn't the kid stop?
Because he’s a child!
So children don’t have to stop doing things that are wrong? Maybe I should hire an 8 year old to rob a bank?

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:18 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:07 pm
NS8401 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:14 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:14 am
jsf wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:10 am
Why didn't the kid stop?
Because he’s a child!
So children don’t have to stop doing things that are wrong? Maybe I should hire an 8 year old to rob a bank?
Don’t worry, a cop would kill the kid before he leaves the house.
You are despicable.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:09 am

NS8401 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:06 am
FET-500 wrote:

I learned to drift a corner in a '72 Sno Jet SST in 9th grade. By high school , I was on a GP433 with dual expansion chambers with rat-tail stingers and dual Keihin carbs. From there it was a 440 SRX, a sled so quick you'd expect a phase-shift as you sped off.

Rolling into the throttle when the police came up on you always seemed to be the best plan.

While it is evident that we are very different people, allow me to point out that Dad was an OG in the Woodward street racing scene, that my mentor road tested with Ferrari and that the max speed logged on my Garmin Nuvi is 187 mph. (that's 10 mph faster that the Sheriff's helicopter...)

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:42 am

FET-500 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:09 am
NS8401 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:06 am
FET-500 wrote:

I learned to drift a corner in a '72 Sno Jet SST in 9th grade. By high school , I was on a GP433 with dual expansion chambers with rat-tail stingers and dual Keihin carbs. From there it was a 440 SRX, a sled so quick you'd expect a phase-shift as you sped off.

Rolling into the throttle when the police came up on you always seemed to be the best plan.

While it is evident that we are very different people, allow me to point out that Dad was an OG in the Woodward street racing scene, that my mentor road tested with Ferrari and that the max speed logged on my Garmin Nuvi is 187 mph. (that's 10 mph faster that the Sheriff's helicopter...)
Yes we are different... I play by the rules... you make your own at your own risk...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic