Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Ratings

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
lovinlife101

Ratings

Post by lovinlife101 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Could someone post TV ratings?

Everyone claims their station is number one. Please show the numbers.

autolab

Re: Ratings

Post by autolab » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:56 pm

November sweeps isn't over yet. Ratings (at least from Nielsen) won't be released until mid-December. WNEM and WJRT both claim to be number one. But you have to look at "the fine print". Usually WNEM pulls data from northern counties where they are strongest. WJRT does the same, focusing on Genesee County viewership. If you look at pure households from the last major sweeps period (May 2017) in late evening news, WNEM is #1, followed by WJRT, WSMH, and WEYI. If you combine viewership from 66 and 25 in the desired women 25-54 demo, the WSMH-WEYI combo is the News leader. Hence, they all can claim to be #1.

lovinlife101

Post by lovinlife101 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:22 pm

Thanks for the insight. I think you are correct in that stations think that as long as they put out enough qualifiers, then they are number one.

One can claim it is number one sign on to sign off. Another can say it has the number one 6pm news. And the next can say it has the highest number of married women 24 to 50 watching.

Just seems dishonest to claim superiority when so many qualifiers have to be given. Who has the highest overall ratings? That’s what I want to know.

autolab

Post by autolab » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:51 am

In May, it looks like WNEM was #1 in sign on to sign off. They are also tops in most news dayparts. WJRT wins at 4pm (they are the only station with news at that time), My5 wins at 7pm (also the only station with news at that time), and 66 beats My5 at 10pm.

However, 5 & 12 continue to lose viewership compared to the year prior. They also have the oldest viewership, which does not bode well for long term. 25 and 66 are growing and have younger viewers, but they have a big gap to bridge.

JRBlitz

Post by JRBlitz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:39 am

WJRT will continue to be a second place station sign on to sign off because of the old owners' decision to run on a VHF frequency. In May, more of the diaries came from up north. This time around, most of the diaries are coming towards the southern viewing area. WNEM will have a decent book because of the I-Team stories that are geared toward giving a scare to the white-haired viewers. WJRT does well at 4pm because of the Judge Judy lead in.

Eddie the Dead

Post by Eddie the Dead » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:57 pm

Hey JRBlitz this is not an attempt to insult your intelligence or diminish you’re input on this board, but handwritten diaries have been gone since JAN16 in the Flint-Saginaw-Bay City market. They’ve been replaced by Nielsen code readers. EVERY month is a sweep month with the exception of 4 weeks of the year. So please stop saying where the “diaries” were placed, you’re mistaken with your assumption…. If you still work at a TV station, go down to the sales department and inquire how Nielsen ratings work now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic