Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The NEW Detroit Wheels Team...NOW in Spring-Training!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
non-anon bob

The NEW Detroit Wheels Team...NOW in Spring-Training!

Post by non-anon bob » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:01 am

...and Here, on 1st Base (mornings), is Bill McAllister... on 2nd Base (middays) is Trudi Daniels, on 3rd (overnights) is Anne Erickson. and, batting "clean-up," at the plate (evenings) is Casey Krukowski (aka "Casey At The Bat")...and, last, but not least, in the DOUG-out, is your team manager, DOC of ROCK Podell! THESE, Ladies & Gentlemen, are your 2019 Detroit Wheels All-Stars! :hat Will they be in the Detroit Radio Nielsen playoffs in October?

...and NOW, Ladies & Gentlemen...The Next Poster!
...CKLW, the Motor City...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: The NEW Detroit Wheels Team...NOW in Spring-Training!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:06 am

While it's nice to have the Wheels/WLLZ brands back on the air, let's face reality...

this station doesn't have a whole helluva lot in common with the *REAL* WLLZ.

Yes, vintage Wheels and new Wheels are both rock stations. Yes, vintage Wheels and new Wheels both have Doug Podell has a prominent member of the staff. That's where the similarities end.

The *REAL* WLLZ didn't just play old rock or classic rock.

Where are the classic WLLZ jingles? Where is the classic WLLZ logo? Where are Jim Johnson, George Baier (R.I.P.), Ken Calvert and Steve Stryker?

Entercom missed a golden opportunity here. Resurrection of the WLLZ brand would've made a LOT more sense at its original home, 98.7 FM.

Entercom could've shifted Jim Johnson from 104.3 to 98.7, they could've (presumably) hired Ken Calvert, and they obviously could have hired Doug Podell, too.

The new 106.7 sounds little more like a bunch of castoffs from Detroit rock stations of old thrown together on a new station.

The playlist isn't a vintage WLLZ playlist or one that follows the same music formula that WLLZ followed but rather something that is designed to be positioned exactly halfway between WCSX and WRIF.

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:24 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:06 am
The playlist isn't a vintage WLLZ playlist or one that follows the same music formula that WLLZ followed but rather something that is designed to be positioned exactly halfway between WCSX and WRIF.
-MW, THAT (halfway between CSX and RIF) is EXACTLY where they need to be in order to be successful. It's time to END Riff's 48-year reign as a heritage rock station in Detroit...especially when they continue to air such a garbage show in morning drive. I don't CARE what the ratings say, Dave & Chuck The Freak don't even deserve airtime on a college station, much less a major market commercial station. They appeal to the LCDs (Least Common Denominators) among us (otherwise referred to as MORONS). -As for CSX, their 32-year reign as "Detroit's Classic Rock Station" will rightfully soon come to an end. They are but a shell of what they used to be. To save money for corporate (Greater Media/Beasley), they callously got rid of most of Detroit's top rock jocks...and replaced them with much less expensive boring puppets! I wish Beasley Media a slow and painful death for what they have done to Detroit Radio. -iHeart's/Podell's New Detroit Wheels WILL be successful...You can count on it! :D

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:43 pm

I doubt WRIF's ratings will be affected very much by this new station (which I shall dub "Fake Wheels"). WCSX stands to lose more ground than WRIF, but I suspect they'll remain in the ratings lead over 106.7 by at least two full shares.

Neither WRIF or WCSX will be going away anytime soon. Both stations are very successful, especially WRIF.

While I can completely understand your animosity against Beasley regarding WCSX, I'm a bit perplexed about your animosity toward them re: WRIF.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:02 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

The new 106.7 sounds little more like a bunch of castoffs from Detroit rock stations of old thrown together on a new station.

I think you've summed it up perfectly. Everything was done in a safe, market-tested way.

windsor

Post by windsor » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:02 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:

I think you've summed it up perfectly. Everything was done in a safe, market-tested way.
Lets hope they dont fall into the same trap as 106.7the D, for this to be successful imo you have to throw the consultants and market testing out the window.

They have Podell so im sure he will tweak the playlist and evolve the song selections to go a bit deeper if necessary.

106.7 the D's best number were when they had the "Vault" segment.

Bringing back the Detroit's Wheels" moniker will only take them so far.

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:42 pm

MW: Steve Stryker died a year or so ago.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:44 pm

Much like why we don’t drive Chevettes.....

The newer, more fuel efficient vehicles like corollas or Chevy Cruze have to be able to compete in the current market.

This being said, the v2019 WLLZ is marketed toward the listeners. The 1996 WLLZ faded up against the WRIF of the day.

I’d say if they don’t make a dent, it’ll be surprising. If they listen to the customers, they’ll have a good run.

Again as I mentioned elsewhere ..... FM was “new” 50 years ago.

WRIF was once an untested, unknown brand of a “thing” and now in 2019 we have the current model.

If you have no competitor, you’re either doing something very well, or nobody cares and you’re going broke doing it “just because you like it”

I’d say the competition is good and healthy for Detroit Radio.

In as much as I have satellite in the truck, I don’t have anything but am/fm/cd in my car, which I drive almost daily. I do run YouTube for some tunes (Versus mp3) but otherwise it’s usually the terrestrial radio.

Hopefully they’ll tweak it so it works for all parties involved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:54 pm

George Baier is alive....

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:35 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
While it's nice to have the Wheels/WLLZ brands back on the air, let's face reality...

this station doesn't have a whole helluva lot in common with the *REAL* WLLZ.

Yes, vintage Wheels and new Wheels are both rock stations. Yes, vintage Wheels and new Wheels both have Doug Podell has a prominent member of the staff. That's where the similarities end.

The *REAL* WLLZ didn't just play old rock or classic rock.

Where are the classic WLLZ jingles? Where is the classic WLLZ logo? Where are Jim Johnson, George Baier (R.I.P.), Ken Calvert and Steve Stryker?

Entercom missed a golden opportunity here. Resurrection of the WLLZ brand would've made a LOT more sense at its original home, 98.7 FM.

Entercom could've shifted Jim Johnson from 104.3 to 98.7, they could've (presumably) hired Ken Calvert, and they obviously could have hired Doug Podell, too.

You’re right MW, Entercom did miss a golden opportunity, And I know for a fact that the idea was presented to them when they took over from CBS, But they blew it, And now karma is hitting both 98.7 and 104.3. WOMC’s ratings will not be that great any longer and The Breeze will Be Lucky to do a 3.5 at best.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:01 pm

non-anon bob,there haven't been any true personality jocks in Detroit this millennium .(Except the aging Riffers who departed the station one by one the past15 or so years . )

non-anon bob

Post by non-anon bob » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:42 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:43 pm
While I can completely understand your animosity against Beasley regarding WCSX, I'm a bit perplexed about your animosity toward them re: WRIF.
I hated the way they callously terminated Penhallow and Drew & Mike. I am the type of person who remains loyal to my friends till the END (death), whether they are air-talents on the radio, friends at work, or Joe Six-pack down the street. I'm also still pissed that WOMC bought-out my buddy's contract (Ted The Bear)10 years ago...I tend to be a "friends for life" type of person...and proud of it! "Get Over It" is a difficult song for me. :lol

pixelplay

Post by pixelplay » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:52 am

https://www.vermeulenfh.com/obituaries/ ... !/Obituary
Steve Striker sadly passed end of May last year. He was a great guy and a great production director and air talent.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:24 pm

I'm very sorry to learn of this; had no idea. Thank you for the info.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:00 pm

Where IS Ted "the Bear" today ???

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic