Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitmer Watch - Gretcholm favors ideology over jobs in Ionia

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Matt

Whitmer Watch - Gretcholm favors ideology over jobs in Ionia

Post by Matt » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:48 am

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/opini ... 905000002/

I was going to post a response a few days ago about Governor Gretcholm Whitmer canceling a sale of vacant state land because of third grade progressive logic, but Nolan did the job for me:
The governor is blocking the sale of a shuttered prison in Ionia to a for-profit detention company that hoped to use it to detain immigrants who are arrested for being in the country illegally.

The decision is based entirely on Whitmer’s liberal views on illegal immigration, rather than on the needs of the state and its workers.

The project, negotiated by former Gov. Rick Snyder, would have restored nearly 300 jobs that were lost when the state closed the Deerfield Correctional Facility.
Rather than try to project her political values across the entire state, Whitmer should focus on whether the sale is sound policy. It passes that test.

Deerfield was closed by the state in 2009 and is owned by the Michigan Land Bank, which has been unable to find another use for the eyesore and the 47 acres it sits on.

Allowing Immigration Centers of America to reopen it to house 500-600 detainees would create 264 jobs in a community that has been hit hard by Michigan’s shrinking prison population.

A spokesman for the governor says Whitmer doesn’t believe “building more detention facilities (would) solve our immigration crisis.” Solving the immigration crisis is above the governor’s pay grade.

Her job is to bring jobs and economic development to Michigan. Blocking the sale won’t alter the nation’s immigration policy. A detention center is going to be built. If not in Michigan, it and the jobs it creates will go somewhere else.

Ionia Mayor Daniel Balice calls the governor’s decision “discouraging.” Deerfield is one of two closed corrections centers in Ionia, a community that has traditionally been a prison town. Selling it to a private company would have put it on the tax rolls and boosted a struggling local economy.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 8570

Re: Whitmer Watch - Gretcholm favors ideology over jobs in Ionia

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:55 am

Matt wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:48 am
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/opini ... 905000002/

I was going to post a response a few days ago about Governor Gretcholm Whitmer canceling a sale of vacant state land because of third grade progressive logic, but Nolan did the job for me:
The governor is blocking the sale of a shuttered prison in Ionia to a for-profit detention company that hoped to use it to detain immigrants who are arrested for being in the country illegally.

The decision is based entirely on Whitmer’s liberal views on illegal immigration, rather than on the needs of the state and its workers.

The project, negotiated by former Gov. Rick Snyder, would have restored nearly 300 jobs that were lost when the state closed the Deerfield Correctional Facility.
Rather than try to project her political values across the entire state, Whitmer should focus on whether the sale is sound policy. It passes that test.

Deerfield was closed by the state in 2009 and is owned by the Michigan Land Bank, which has been unable to find another use for the eyesore and the 47 acres it sits on.

Allowing Immigration Centers of America to reopen it to house 500-600 detainees would create 264 jobs in a community that has been hit hard by Michigan’s shrinking prison population.

A spokesman for the governor says Whitmer doesn’t believe “building more detention facilities (would) solve our immigration crisis.” Solving the immigration crisis is above the governor’s pay grade.

Her job is to bring jobs and economic development to Michigan. Blocking the sale won’t alter the nation’s immigration policy. A detention center is going to be built. If not in Michigan, it and the jobs it creates will go somewhere else.

Ionia Mayor Daniel Balice calls the governor’s decision “discouraging.” Deerfield is one of two closed corrections centers in Ionia, a community that has traditionally been a prison town. Selling it to a private company would have put it on the tax rolls and boosted a struggling local economy.
So we are upset that the prison population is down and need a private group to come in and start a prison? Yuck. That deal stinks.

Deerfield needs to think outside the box on what to put there. In the meantime tear the eyesore down if it’s that horrible.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:49 pm

The deal was done to sell the property, get it back on the local tax rolls, and employ a lot of people after ten years of sitting there not generating any revenue. If there was another group itching to by the property, your comment may have some validity. Turning down the tax revenue and jobs for a bullshit political reason is a bad look for Whitmer.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:28 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:49 pm
The deal was done to sell the property, get it back on the local tax rolls, and employ a lot of people after ten years of sitting there not generating any revenue. If there was another group itching to by the property, your comment may have some validity. Turning down the tax revenue and jobs for a bullshit political reason is a bad look for Whitmer.
Private prisons are a bad look for humanity... their entire business depends on throwing as many people in jail as possible...

There are some things that simply don’t have any business being privatized. The postal service is another one.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:34 pm

I agree with Matt that this was an overreach on Whitmer's part. The prison will simply be built elsewhere. Her move could also open the state up to legal liability for breach of contract, it would seem.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:16 pm

Nolan Finley,that reactionary good ol' boy,should take his ugly Bubba a** back to Dogpatch,err Arkansas ala the Ray Charles hit "What'd I Say?"

Matt

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:29 pm

borderboy653659200 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:16 pm
Nolan Finley,that reactionary good ol' boy,should take his ugly Bubba a** back to Dogpatch,err Arkansas ala the Ray Charles hit "What'd I Say?"
In another thread, Cowboy, you said:
I told you about 40% of Michiganders and Michigeese are functionally illiterate (how is that Whitmer's fault ? Oh,right,you're Republicans,so anything a Democratic Governor or President does is wrong ),but instead of owning it and perhaps doing something to fix it (like not falling for the stupid "tax cuts" mantra),you used ad hominem attacks to criticize me. I'm just a Canadian lad,but you people live in the Mitten State .I'd think you'd want to rectify its shortcomings .
The first google result for ad hominem is:

ad ho·mi·nem
/ˌad ˈhämənəm/Submit
adjective
(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

Do you actually have any thoughts on the Governor of Michigan torpedoing jobs and tax revenue for political reasons??? Also, can you try and respond in an easier to read format?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic