Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Another Local Radio Fail

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
tannersboat

Another Local Radio Fail

Post by tannersboat » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:58 pm

Haven't posted in a while as I've flipped to satellite since I left the business behind. This morning had the truck out early for the roads and flipped on WOOD AM for what I thought might be some local weather and traffic.

As I'm driving about 20mph on the highway at 5am the traffic reporter told me about 'back to school' traffic coming later in the morning and light traffic volumes. It was obviously pre-recorded, on one of the worst traffic days of the year. What has happened to local radio?

Flipped right back to XM for the rest of my ten hours today. BTW, you all slow down, still rough in a lot of spots, maybe someone will tell that traffic guy?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Another Local Radio Fail

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:30 pm

When it comes to local news coverage, WOOD Radio is a mere shadow of its former self.

The station does very little original reporting these days. The newscasts are usually well produced, but the content is curated almost entirely from other sources.

Goggle Maps and other smartphone traffic apps are far more useful than anything you'll hear on G.R. radio. I've seen miles long backups on I-96 with zero mention on local radio.

The only time G.R. radio is useful for emergency info is when EAS is activated.

I am not convinced the traffic report was pre-recorded, though. It would not surprise me if Kevin Richards or whomever filed the report was truly that clueless!!

When it comes to traffic reporting, I'd be curious to know how well WGVU AM/FM, WCSG and WJRW stack up to WOOD.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:55 am

Two Words: Budget Cuts.

The once mighty WOOD is a shadow of itself. I go back to, commercial radio makes itself more and more irrelevant every day. I wish this wasn't the case, but this is another example. Why even tune in? There is VERY little on commercial radio that it offers you can't find elsewhere - or easier and is likely more current.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:59 am

I admit to not having heard a 5 a.m. WOOD Radio newscast in years, and when that was the case, it offered weather on the ones, no traffic.

I thought Kevin's first traffic drop was at 5:21 a.m., which when you consider his coming back in to work 3 to 6:45 p.m. as the back end of a split shift, there's room to give him a little grace. It is frustrating to be at a standstill and seeking information, to find none offered by the report you tuned in.

There are certainly not enough moving parts around to make the WOOD Radio engine run as it once did.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:03 pm

One word: Waze

Live, instant, cloud sourced, everywhere

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Radio1

Post by Radio1 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:32 pm

Are there any actual reporters at WOOD radio?
Or just news anchors.

Mary Ellen Murphy

Post by Mary Ellen Murphy » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:04 am

I'll bite. It's unbelievable to me that a full service station with music is nonexistent in Grand Rapids radio in 2024. Why can't you give me my news with my Zeppelin?Or whatever? C'mon we're 60 plus now.

Why can't you do community interviews with politicians and have the movers and shakers on a music station?!?!?!?

Someone is missing the boat big time.
Last edited by Mary Ellen Murphy on Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:38 am

MEM! Grand Haven is blessed to have you on the air. Beats anything offered from GR these days.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic