Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

CMU Sells Flint WCMZ-TV In FCC Spectrum Auction

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
tvbobn

Re: CMU Sells Flint WCMZ-TV In FCC Spectrum Auction

Post by tvbobn » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:10 pm

I wonder how the gross purse compares to expectation on a global scale.

Getting back to the Mid-Michigan PBS situation, I wonder what the chances are of WDCQ applying for a digital translator to serve the Flint area? I am guessing the chances of that occurring are very slim.

Are translators/repeaters of full power, in-market stations protected, tvbobn, or are they lumped into the same category as the LPTVs?

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:52 am

MWmetalhead wrote:I wonder how the gross purse compares to expectation on a global scale.

Getting back to the Mid-Michigan PBS situation, I wonder what the chances are of WDCQ applying for a digital translator to serve the Flint area? I am guessing the chances of that occurring are very slim.

Are translators/repeaters of full power, in-market stations protected, tvbobn, or are they lumped into the same category as the LPTVs?
Hard to say at this time. They're sort of making the rules as the go. LPTV is secondary to Full Power stations main channel, but we don't know about a FP translator. The FCC hasn't followed their own rules during much of the auction, so it's hard to say what will happen in the future. None of us know what will happen until they come out with the "repack channel list". The FCC is providing it for stations, so it's in their hands. At this point, we don't know if the list will only be FP and Class A's or if it will include the LPTV's too. They've said that it should be out in a few weeks. Earlier in the auction, they made it sound like only FP and Class A would be included on the repack channel list, then LPTV would fight for what channels were left available for them.

With the new "broadcast friendly" FCC chairman instead of a "wireless friendly" chairman in charge now, we might have a better chance for LPTV stations surviving this auction mess!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:07 pm

About the only chance Flint residents have is WDCQ on Channel 15.

The 1030 foot tower is in Quanicassee, so an outdoor antenna will mostly likely be required.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:54 pm

Channel 28 is redundant.
Its redundant to WTVS, CBC and TVO in Detroit and its redundant to WDCQ in its own market.
As WFUM it was multi-redundant with WCMU before it was owned by CMU.
And to one side of town it was redundant to WKAR.
It was the fifth place PBS station sandwiched between three markets.
Its only real value was as a community service for local exposure in Flint.

I give props to WCMU for trying to expand and gain some exposure in the Detroit market, for the WCMU network and the university.
My feeling is they just weren't able to attract the extra eyeballs or donations from the Detroit market as maybe planned.
It will be interesting to see if Detroit cable systems keep the station in their line-ups.

Letting the station go commercial is probably a bad business model. CMU probably wouldn't even get half as much for it as it did in the auction.
And going against cable, internet and affiliate station subchannels as a start-up now is a suicide run.

CMU paid $1M for the station less then ten years ago and now they're going to to make $13M off of it.
Good for them!

Arthur Mometer

Post by Arthur Mometer » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:41 pm

I suggest that you look at a Longley Rice prediction of the signals you mention. With this misinformation and long obsolete models still used to predict signals, OTA TV is dead. 19, 23, and 56 DO NOT cover Genesee County well at all OTA. With analog, they were snowy. With DTV they don't come in at all without extreme measures. What was free will be very expensive.

"I'm meteorologist Arthur Mometer."

"Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."

"Lies have to be repeated and repeated to be believed. Truth stands on its own merit."

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:59 pm

JackAttack FM wrote:Channel 28 is redundant.
Its redundant to WTVS, CBC and TVO in Detroit and its redundant to WDCQ in its own market.
It will be interesting to see if Detroit cable systems keep the station in their line-ups.
The same for TVO, now that they will be closing down all its transmitters, except for the flagship in Toronto.

In terms of WCMZ -- if it becomes something else, it is likely that if it's on cable now as WCMZ, it'll be on cable as something else. If WCMZ goes dark, however, systems can practically fill its slot with any channel they want -- or just leave it vacant.
JackAttack FM wrote: Letting the station go commercial is probably a bad business model.
If it's in a non-commercial allocation, it can't go commercial. Just hope it's not occupied by another godcaster.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:26 pm

It will either be filled by a station coming down from above channel 36, or will be left vacant to help protect adjacent markets from interference.
The pool will be full.
Unless it is viable for a low power after the repack is done, you will not see a new station on that channel, but a different station that you already see may move there.
A Godcaster is unlikely.
We'll get a pretty good idea of what's actually going to happen in a couple more weeks as the FCC publishes its plan.
In the meantime your guess is as good as mine.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

jry

Post by jry » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:35 pm

Some indy in the Hudson Valley area of NY sold for 212 Million.... Whoa. Merry Christmas.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Here are some channels that will need new homes:
Flint-Saginaw-Bay City
WBSF (RF 46)
WAQP (RF 48)
Lansing
WSYM (RF 38)
WKAR (RF 40)
WZPX (RF 44)
Detroit
WADL (RF 39)
WXYZ (RF 41)
WTVS (RF 43)
WWJ (RF 44)
WDIV (RF 45)

HD74

Post by HD74 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:41 am

Tip of the iceberg, many other stations will be forced to move to accommodate these stations.
Stations already below channel 37 are being moved to deal with all the interference issues, and some really weird stuff is being proposed by the feds.
In at least one instance, a company with two stations in a market is being told to move one station, and move the other station to where the original station already is.
Seems like it would be better and a lot less expensive to just move the station that has been displaced.
All this will be sorted out supposedly before the end of March, when stations will start the repack.

"Here are some channels that will need new homes:
Flint-Saginaw-Bay City
WBSF (RF 46)
WAQP (RF 48)
Lansing
WSYM (RF 38)
WKAR (RF 40)
WZPX (RF 44)
Detroit
WADL (RF 39)
WXYZ (RF 41)
WTVS (RF 43)
WWJ (RF 44)"

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:02 am

I don't know where you're getting your old information, but this Repack Plan has been figured out by the FCC for several years now. All the stations have their construction permits for their new channels (in some cases new locations).

The Repack to those channels will be coordinated in Phases across the country. Most of us in broadcasting dealing with it feel that it will not be finished in the 39 months that Washington has proposed, but that's a topic for another thread.

Most stations in this area are either in Phase 3 or 8.

Phase Transition dates for the repack, which are:

Transition Phase 1: Testing Begins: 9/14/2018 Phase Ends: 11/30/2018
Transition Phase 2: Testing Begins: 12/1/2018 Phase Ends: 4/12/2019
Transition Phase 3: Testing Begins: 4/13/2019 Phase Ends: 6/21/2019
Transition Phase 4: Testing Begins: 6/22/2019 Phase Ends: 8/2/2019
Transition Phase 5: Testing Begins: 8/3/2019 Phase Ends: 9/6/2019
Transition Phase 6: Testing Begins: 9/7/2019 Phase Ends: 10/18/2019
Transition Phase 7: Testing Begins: 10/19/2019 Phase Ends: 1/17/2020
Transition Phase 8: Testing Begins: 1/18/2020 Phase Ends: 3/13/2020
Transition Phase 9: Testing Begins: 3/14/2020 Phase Ends: 5/1/2020
Transition Phase 10: Testing Begins: 5/2/2020 Phase Ends: 7/3/2020

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:09 am

tvbobn wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:02 am
I don't know where you're getting your old information, but...
:lol

Have you not noticed what happened to the board?

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:34 pm

Down for a few days and lost before early 2017.

Looking closer I see this about the post I replied to: by HD74 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:41 am

So what, I posted newer info about the repack. What he posted seem old, but I was just wondering how he didn't have more current info. Just trying to keep all of us up to date with the stupid repack!

It looks like several of the Buzzboard topics are going to be out of date or at least off date for awhile. Computers... gotta love them!

HD74

Post by HD74 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:56 pm

"All the stations have their construction permits for their new channels (in some cases new locations)".
NOW they have, but, that has just happened for some of us.

"this Repack Plan has been figured out by the FCC for several years now."
:rollin :rollin :rollin See statement above.

This has been a continually up in the air process since inception.
Compare the "old info" to whats happening now.
WKAR has a station lit up with the new modulation scheme.
WLAJ has moved frequencies, and will again.
WLNS turned off, WHTV turned off.
And soon, the WLNS site will have a new gargantuan transmitter on air.

Any signs of this all settling down? Nope, ATSC 3 will cause more changes.

On a good note, I got 2 fortune cookies in one wrapper today, and both fortunes have the same lucky numbers.
I'm buying a ticket and hopefully can watch it all unfurl from a nice warm beach.
73's

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic