Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Source: Cumulus Detroit is for sale...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Calvert DeForest

Re: Source: Cumulus Detroit is for sale...

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu May 16, 2019 10:26 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 3:11 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:27 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:47 am
I got some bottles and cans in my car and garage. I'll make them an offer they can't refuse.
I'll pitch in a 30-gallon bag full of cans for your cause, but I want studio naming rights. I doubt it will take much. With that list of markets available, Detroit will likely be at the bottom of the list of sought after markets, unless Akron or Dayton is for sale.
You drive a hard bargain, TC. But I think we can work something out.
I can contribute some old airchecks of J.P. and Ernie & Paul Tigers games.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 16, 2019 1:59 pm

760 is not that much better of a facility than 950 during daylight hours these days. At night, gains would mainly be on the far western and eastern flanks of the market.

AM radio will slowly be phased out on many new car radios over the next 10 years unless the FCC takes action.

The way to mitigate that is for WJR and WWJ to move to - or simulcast on - FM at some point, not to (a) trade one AM signal for another and (b) undertaking some sort of asinine rebranding scheme.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu May 16, 2019 4:05 pm

Too few hands own too many stations. If they have 8 stations in a market, or even 5 or less, chances are that one or more of them is considered a throwaway, and they are seriously mismanaged. They just keep them in order to keep them out of the hands of competitors. Usually this is an AM or a serious rimshot Class A FM. Class A FMs can do well though, if the signal is centered where the population is centered. That's why they are so paranoid about "move-ins", which they respect as much as the farmer respects the boll weevil. Keep them out 25 miles, and they'll have no impact. Thats why they have rules like First Local Service and pushes to "equitably distribute facilities in all geographic areas". That is an anticompetitive load. Put them near the center, they can compete with far out grandfathered Class Bs and Class Cs. Goofy, conniving, cutthroat, business. Read the autobiographies, it wasn't always that bad.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Thu May 16, 2019 4:27 pm

WJR has a better signal for all areas except close in in the major lobe of WWJ. It's the programming, but not just Right vs. Left. WJR's News could be a lot better. That would help their ratings a lot. Where I hang out, WJR has twice the Field Strength as WWJ. They used to be close to equal to WJR when WWJ was on Eight Mile Rd. with just 5000 watts.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:59 pm
760 is not that much better of a facility than 950 during daylight hours these days. At night, gains would mainly be on the far western and eastern flanks of the market.

AM radio will slowly be phased out on many new car radios over the next 10 years unless the FCC takes action.

The way to mitigate that is for WJR and WWJ to move to - or simulcast on - FM at some point, not to (a) trade one AM signal for another and (b) undertaking some sort of asinine rebranding scheme.
Totally agree, Both stations need to get to the FM dial in the next few years, FM still has a solid future perhaps another 30 years If these big corporations start to do things right, Radio at least on FM can survive competing with all the internet and broadband platforms if radio can keep and bring in new listeners.

Deleted User 15003

Post by Deleted User 15003 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:18 am

Steve79 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 pm
I hope EMF keeps their greedy hands off another station in Detroit.
I also hope their won't be any simulcasting going on. It's a waste of a frequency and format. (AM 760)
It would be cool if Cox or any other established company enter the market.
I would love to see Family Life Radio acquire one of the FM stations.

Deleted User 14992

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:19 pm

I think that If FLR acquires an FM signal in Detroit they could shutdown all their translators, That would be great.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri May 17, 2019 8:23 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:05 pm
Too few hands own too many stations. If they have 8 stations in a market, or even 5 or less, chances are that one or more of them is considered a throwaway, and they are seriously mismanaged. They just keep them in order to keep them out of the hands of competitors. Usually this is an AM or a serious rimshot Class A FM. Class A FMs can do well though, if the signal is centered where the population is centered. That's why they are so paranoid about "move-ins", which they respect as much as the farmer respects the boll weevil. Keep them out 25 miles, and they'll have no impact. Thats why they have rules like First Local Service and pushes to "equitably distribute facilities in all geographic areas". That is an anticompetitive load. Put them near the center, they can compete with far out grandfathered Class Bs and Class Cs. Goofy, conniving, cutthroat, business. Read the autobiographies, it wasn't always that bad.
Agree, agree & agree.

Oh, and I agree.

Especially the "two few hands own..." part.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 21, 2019 8:58 pm

I don't like how WDVD and WDRQ have been sounding since the new OM/PD took over.

WDVD's playlist has been cut to shreds and is now playing a fairly restricted mix of music almost entirely from the last 15 years (with the vast majority being from the last five years). The morning show now resorts to staged bits reminiscent of 9-5-5's phony "War of the Roses." Blaine also sounds bored these days. I bet he bolts soon.

I don't like the new male imaging voice WDVD recently added. I guess they are going for a younger sound. Reminds me too much of the low-rated failure known as 98.7 Amp Radio.

The dipshit OM/PD also ditched all of WDVD's jingles!!! >:

WDRQ just sounds moribund. Absolutely hate the music selection; it's the worst 93.1 has sounded from a music standpoint in a long time. When I'm in the mood for country, I don't even think of turning on WDRQ anymore. The station sounded better when seasoned Detroit radio veterans were behind the mic. Also, the reformatting of the morning show has been for the worse; many of the local cut-ins have been shortened or outright stripped. When I want country, I listen to WYCD 100% of the time now.

Steve79

Post by Steve79 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:00 am

Any updates on this sale!?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:53 am

No updates other than Cumulus allegedly has circulated (or more likely has engaged an investment bank to circulate) a "bank book" in an effort to drum up potential buyer interest for some or all of the company's remaining assets.

I believe Apollo Global Management and Standard General are the parties most likely to acquire any large & major market assets that are on the selling block if we're talking FM radio or AM stations that still generate decent cash flow.

Piece of shit AM stations such as Los Angeles' 790 KABC will most likely be sold to someone who specializes in foreign language or brokered block programming.

Detroit is an interesting situation given the fact 107.5 WGPR might be on the selling block the same time as the Cumulus stations. Will one company try to purchase all of 'em or will these stations go to separate parties?

One would think Entercom would try to grab a fifth FM station to round out its cluster here. Beasley also has room for one more station.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:29 am

My guess? Regardless of who (if anybody) buy the CU stations, they will still be corporate suck radio. Sad to say that, but I have zero faith in ANY corporation, to provide anything even halfway decent, ever. And that isn't just radio, but everything. If terrestrial radio dies off, it will be because of the corporate vacuum effect, and they will get what they deserve. The "people" will lose, as is always the "corporate rule" of "profits first, people last".

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:26 pm

Rather than start a new thread I'll just piggyback here with a question....
Since I haven't listened to WJR in years, does Frank Beckmann love Trump? What about Paul W?
I'm sort of asking whether they truly seem to love the guy or whether they like him because he is a republican president?

I no longer directly engage trolls

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:42 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:26 pm
Rather than start a new thread I'll just piggyback here with a question....
Since I haven't listened to WJR in years, does Frank Beckmann love Trump? What about Paul W?
I'm sort of asking whether they truly seem to love the guy or whether they like him because he is a republican president?
They've seen what happened to Charlie Sykes and Erick Erickson.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:40 pm

I appreciate the response but I have no clue who those guys are.
I was hoping for a more straight forward answer that didn't involve research and perhaps "reading between the lines".

I no longer directly engage trolls

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic