Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Whitecaps baseball back on the airwaves

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Feature/writer

Whitecaps baseball back on the airwaves

Post by Feature/writer » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:54 am

The minor league baseball West Michigan Whitecaps squad is back on WJRW-AM 1340 (Grand Rapids) once again.
After a year (or two?) offering online only play-by-play, announcer Dan Hasty is back on the terrestrial airwaves.
It seemed to happen suddenly - I didn't hear a big ramp-up of promotion for this before the season started.
I'm wondering why the change? A lack of visibility/availability when only online? Is it still some kind of barter arrangement? And have they cobbled together a regional network of stations that carry the games?

edj

Re: Whitecaps baseball back on the airwaves

Post by edj » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:32 am

It has to be brokered. I can't think of a minor league team that isn't, unless maybe if it airs on a non-com.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:13 am

The Ticket is also on 106.1 LPFM. Faygo is usually a supportive broadcast partner of minor league baseball. I think I found the Caps on 1340 when I was hoping for Final Four coverage, in the first series of West Michigan's season. I don't look over Mlive or local news to have found out any other way.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:22 pm

edj wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:32 am
It has to be brokered. I can't think of a minor league team that isn't, unless maybe if it airs on a non-com.
Agreed, they have to be buying the time. Only a deviant would listen to minor league baseball on the radio.

Feature/writer

Post by Feature/writer » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:17 am

So, two questions remain: why the move back to terrestrial radio, and any other stations carrying the games? (leading into commercial breaks between innings, the announcers still refer to it as the "Whitecaps Baseball Network").

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:33 am

Feature/writer wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:17 am
So, two questions remain: why the move back to terrestrial radio, and any other stations carrying the games? (leading into commercial breaks between innings, the announcers still refer to it as the "Whitecaps Baseball Network").
Probably because it's still easier to convince local businesses to advertise on radio broadcasts than an online stream. I'm sure they pitch all the excitement and popularity of Whitecaps baseball and all the potential audience that could tune in, glossing over the fact that a total of 8 people will actually be listening.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:02 am

So, that means the audience draw will be consistent with 1340's other programming. :)

Cumulus and its predecessor, Citadel, completely botched the opportunity to get a decent translator for 1340.

106.1's coverage is putrid.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:22 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:02 am
So, that means the audience draw will be consistent with 1340's other programming. :)
:rollin :rollin

Well hold on, if they normally have 4 listeners, and Whitecaps brings in 4 more - you've doubled the audience!

"Mr Advertiser, we double our listeners during Whitecaps broadcasts. Hurry up and sign up while spots remain!"

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:18 am

I'm surprise that the Whitecaps don't try and put a handful of home games on WXSP or ARCWMI as the Griffins for the past few years been on WXSP a handful of times. Not that I have watched any of those games I wonder if the Griffins are paying Nexstar or barter time.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic