Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

January Book Ratings, Big Wins For iHeart while Cumulus Limps

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
jaywmi

Re: January Book Ratings, Big Wins For iHeart while Cumulus Limps

Post by jaywmi » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:19 pm

iHeart had tried literally every iteration of classic rock from 2000 to 2020 on 101.3... i.e. skewing older, or nudging it more in a mainstream rock direction, or a quasi-AAA format sometime in the mid 2000s, or "the next generation of classic rock" which really meant more 80s "butt rock". What would possibly be different this time that would actually take down WLAV? I think Oldies on this signal was still the right move. Overall, it has been doing better on 101.3 compared to all those classic rock attempts.

Like it or not, I still see the status quo on the Grand Rapids dial happening for some time to come, although a few stations will need some adjustments.

Greg Buben wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:25 pm
WLHT did improve to a 4.!% share in the last ratings therefore I don't expect Town Square to give up their "Hot A/C" format.
What I'm still in favor of is somebody with a 50,000 watt commercial FM station competing against the declining WLAV. Now
under the system of three basic commercial radio companies in the market I probably won't be allowed to hear somebody
offering a good alternative classic rock station to go up against WLAV. If Town Square won't do it with WLHT then the only
other possibility would be if I-Heart flips 101.3 FM to classic rock. I do think that could be a possibility and it they were to
simulcast with WMRR-FM 101.7 in Muskegon they could save money for the company, they wouldn't have to start over with
a new staff, and would sound so much better than WLAV.

GnashManDu

Post by GnashManDu » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm

More of the same in February with WCSG flipping with B93 for that #1 spot and WGRD continuing to slip.

Star showing some life as most of this book is outside of Christmas music. Will be interesting to see if they can maintain this climb, if so iHeart seems to be able to keep a lock on most of that Top 5 with everyone else outside looking in.

Cumulus barely keeps a station in the Top 10 with WLAV while their other properties are essential no-shows.

handbanana

Post by handbanana » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:14 pm

We got NPR beating WLAV before GTA 6.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:31 am

If iFart drops the ball by installing Bobby Bones into mornings at B93, if I'm Cumulus - I'd be taking a very hard look at moving my country station back to 94.5 FM. The Q is a decent station, but recent ratings suggest it might no longer be deserving of its prime spot on the dial.

If Cumulus fails to make the above move and I'm Townsquare, I'd be taking a hard look at flipping WLHT to Country and keeping my local morning show in place (and promoting the living crap out of the fact B93's morning show is from out of state).

Speaking of Townsquare, I sure wish they'd consider a return to Urban AC for Magic 104.9. Obnoxious hip-hop music's FM audience is fading; WJLB in Detroit as an example is at or near all-time record low AQH share. At least take the station in more of a mass appeal direction, similar to Lansing's Power 96.5.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:59 am

LHT is a legacy Soft station, no one would be doing that...
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:38 am

They haven't been a "soft" station in forever. The word "Lite" was removed from on-air branding around the year 2010, when Jerry Tarrants (who was succeeded by Jerry Noble) was PD.

Music wise, they are closer to WHTS than to Star 105.7.

Sister station 100.5 The River positions itself as "lite & relaxing" these days, but I'd personally characterize that particular station's song choices as "safe" and "recognizable" before I'd apply the "lite" descriptor.

Doug Montgomery, longtime B93 OM/PD, is at Townsquare and is their country format captain. If I'm not mistaken, he is also the programming head for the Grand Rapids station group.

If my data source is accurate, WLHT bills respectably but is not among the market's top billing stations. B93, WOOD Newsradio, WGRD, WLAV, Star 105.7 and WSNX (crappy Kent County signal notwithstanding) all outbill it. WCSG's annual fundraising total also exceeds WLHT's annual billing - by at least one million dollars.

A flip to Country certainly wouldn't be without risk and would require a healthy marketing effort. Cumulus could also choose to make a last ditch effort to persevere by moving Blunder back to 94.5 even if Townsquare were to strike first by flipping 95.7.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

RandJob

Post by RandJob » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:21 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:38 am
Doug Montgomery, longtime B93 OM/PD, is at Townsquare and is their country format captain. If I'm not mistaken, he is also the programming head for the Grand Rapids station group.
This is a great point, I'm puzzled why they haven't taken any of their properties country with that asset in the building.
In life when I have decisions to make I always think to myself, What Would Scott Hall Do?

Then I buy a bunch of cheap booze and drink myself to sleep.

GnashManDu

Post by GnashManDu » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:20 am

RandJob wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:21 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:38 am
This is a great point, I'm puzzled why they haven't taken any of their properties country with that asset in the building.
He's only an asset of you care about the broadcast side of the business. They've been very clear that they want to sell pop-ups on click bait articles churned out by deejays with the grammar skills of Nigerian scammers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic