Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

TV meteorologists

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Feature/writer

TV meteorologists

Post by Feature/writer » Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:56 pm

Is is just me or do West Mich. TV weather folks seem just a bit too eager to promote forecasts of a snow event or two?

format this

Re: TV meteorologists

Post by format this » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:29 pm

Well, let’s see… no snow on the ground in early January… no ice on Lake Michigan… I would say they can be eager…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:51 am

Among the worst and most out of control hype machine is WOOD TV. Blake Harm’s “EXCLUSIVE!” Closing Predictor is usually wrong. Instead of waiting until schools actually make the decision to close schools, Blake goes on 24-48 hours to use “fake science” to find the “probability” that areas will see closures or delays… only to have to explain why individual schools chose not to follow his advice. It’s such a waste of time and aimed at scaring viewers.

dwp49423

Post by dwp49423 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:55 am

I too have only seen the hype on WOOD-TV8, which isn't surprising. Their "Always alerting, always informing" slogan was dead on accurate on the first part to where my brother changed part two to be "always annoying"
---
"Cheap Cheap Cheap" it is live or is it Gannett?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:46 am

It is not much different in SE Michigan. On my cell phone I have the Weather Channel app and the WDIV (NBC affiliate) weather app on my phone.
I am comfortable saying when it comes to precipitation estimates, if the two apps don't agree, the Weather Channel is 90% more accurate than the local app.
I no longer directly engage trolls

andymuskegon

Post by andymuskegon » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:34 pm

research. the number one researched reason people watch local news is for the weather. thus, the added fortune in budgets, talent and air time. i was told by an incredibly reputable and long time tenured colleague that at one point, they had to use the word "tracking" a number of times per weather forecast because it was researched that "tracking" was the word that grabbed people's ear the most.

i take nothing away from our talented pool of meteorologists in west mi, but.....it's this kind of idiotic bloviated research that is clearly laid forth by those who bought up all the local media outlets, and didn't have the first clue what to do with them other than collect money.

the bottom has not been hit yet either.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/andyoriley

georgetownt

Post by georgetownt » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:16 pm

Wood tv Storm Team ExaggerEIGHT

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:25 am

ExaggerEIGHT = true dat

Feature/writer

Post by Feature/writer » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:13 pm

Harms' school closing predictor service is not an open or shut case: It's on a 1-5 scale of probability, so it's hard to say he's "wrong" if a district makes a particular decision on a delay or closing.
So it's subjective depending on the district - it's not totally a weather thing. A school district must figure - how large a geographical area does it cover? How many miles do busses need to travel? rural roads or city streets? How far are students from the particular school they attend? That's why one district may decide to close its schools while an adjacent one does not..
Last edited by Feature/writer on Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

uncleducky72

Post by uncleducky72 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:12 pm

WWMT Will Haenni is the worst at it. His forecasts are totally different from the other 3.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:40 pm

I'm sure Kevin Craig at Fox17 has to change his underwear after every weather segment when there's a storm approaching. That guy gets waaaaay too excited and talks a mile a minute. 8)
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

chuck1973

Post by chuck1973 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:24 pm

sinklair wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:51 am
Among the worst and most out of control hype machine is WOOD TV. Blake Harm’s “EXCLUSIVE!” Closing Predictor is usually wrong. Instead of waiting until schools actually make the decision to close schools, Blake goes on 24-48 hours to use “fake science” to find the “probability” that areas will see closures or delays… only to have to explain why individual schools chose not to follow his advice. It’s such a waste of time and aimed at scaring viewers.
I wish this youngster would cease his whimsical school closure predictions, seemingly driven by a pursuit of ratings. It is concerning to witness the top local media outlet leveraging these forecasts to pressure local superintendents into closing schools. Such actions likely impose an additional stress on officials already grappling with numerous responsibilities. They may feel compelled to align with the top local media outlet because parents watched it on-air. If I was a school official, I'd have a big problem with this weather nerd kid. A shame, other than that, I find Blake to do a fairly decent job on-air and he seemingly enjoys being on TV and forecasting weather, reminds me of a young Bill Steffen with his thirst for it.
teetoppz28 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:40 pm
I'm sure Kevin Craig at Fox17 has to change his underwear after every weather segment when there's a storm approaching. That guy gets waaaaay too excited and talks a mile a minute. 8)

Respectfully disagree. Kevin has established a lengthy presence in this market and has evolved into one of the scarce TV meteorologists whom one can rely upon nowadays. His on-air performance is impeccable, presenting an engaging show, from my modest viewpoint. Moreover, I've observed him to be among the select few forecasters delivering accurate predictions in this region.

teetoppz28

Post by teetoppz28 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:36 am

chuck1973 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:24 pm
sinklair wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:51 am
I wish this youngster would cease his whimsical school closure predictions, seemingly driven by a pursuit of ratings. It is concerning to witness the top local media outlet leveraging these forecasts to pressure local superintendents into closing schools. Such actions likely impose an additional stress on officials already grappling with numerous responsibilities. They may feel compelled to align with the top local media outlet because parents watched it on-air. If I was a school official, I'd have a big problem with this weather nerd kid. A shame, other than that, I find Blake to do a fairly decent job on-air and he seemingly enjoys being on TV and forecasting weather, reminds me of a young Bill Steffen with his thirst for it.
teetoppz28 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:40 pm

Respectfully disagree. Kevin has established a lengthy presence in this market and has evolved into one of the scarce TV meteorologists whom one can rely upon nowadays. His on-air performance is impeccable, presenting an engaging show, from my modest viewpoint. Moreover, I've observed him to be among the select few forecasters delivering accurate predictions in this region.
I’m definitely not saying he isn’t an amazingly talented on-air meteorologist, I was just pointing out his over-the-top excitement at even the remotest possibility of a storm approaching. Kevin is top notch in the field, and he’s a great guy outside of the station.
Dropping knowledge on forum MAGAts.
Unapologetically intellectually superior.

hanson

Post by hanson » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:24 pm

The school closing predictions just kill me. The map of the school districts in particular. They need to put up county boundries so you know what you are looking at. Harms is also hard to look at with his monster teeth.

Kirkwood uses so many different slides, he's still talking about one that was up 10 seconds ago.
Last edited by hanson on Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

dwp49423

Post by dwp49423 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:17 pm

I cannot believe how wrong Blake's School Closing Predictions were. Hopefully NexStar tells him to stop the crap.
---
"Cheap Cheap Cheap" it is live or is it Gannett?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic