Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Holy batman, GRD. Big gains in new Nielsen #s.

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Holy batman, GRD. Big gains in new Nielsen #s.

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:19 pm

WGRD has soared to a 7.5 share in 12+, matching its previous high water mark since flipping from Alternative to Rock in the late 00s. I think their playlist sucks ass but a lot of people like it (or at least tolerate it) evidently.

WSNX is stuck in the low 4s, but more importantly, WLHT is mired in the mud with a 2.3 share.

Interestingly, former WLHT staffer Rob Sparks seems to be giving Hot FM a bit of a spark, as that station now sits at a 3.1 share.

Star 105.7 has hemorrhaged share big time over the past two books. They are now nearly deadlocked with 95.7. All secular AC stations performed poorly. WFGR and WBFX defeated all of them in ages 12+; would be interesting to see how they all compare in A25 to 54.

WOOD Radio has seen nice momentum for a couple books now; summer appears to have been friendlier to them than spring.

No data for WVGR (WUOM) this time.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb127

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

ChrisWL1980

Re: Holy batman, GRD. Big gains in new Nielsen #s.

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:10 pm

WOW at 265,000-watt WSRW losing in the beauty pageant numbers to an AM/FM translator combo. Has 105.7 ever been this low in the 12+ rankings? Are the 40-something women not listening to WCSG preferring the butt-rock parade on GRD these days?
With these ratings, I wonder if they (and/or 100.5) pull the trigger early on Christmas music this year.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:28 pm

Yes, I've seen 105.7 this low once or twice before.

jaywmi

Post by jaywmi » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:32 pm

Frankly, I can't even figure out what WGRD is doing right.

But, yeah, it must be something... or some sort of fortuitous book placement.

There haven't been numbers this good since 2009 (see https://web.archive.org/web/20090828061 ... exe/arb127)

(And, oh, look... there's WMAX-FM, as an Alternative, pulling a 1.9. Somehow, that seems way better than what the frequency is getting nowadays.)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:50 am

Unweighted trailing 3 month trends aren't considered "official," and that pop to a 1.9 share came following 107.3's flip to Sports in May 2009, which may have helped. 96.1's programming did sound much better in its final few months thanks to a shift to a national playlist that at the time was actually pretty decent.

Recall WBBL moved from 1340 to 107.3 primarily because Shitadel knew ESPN's local affiliation was moving to an FM station that summer. ESPN had also given 90 days' notice to WBBL to terminate its contract.

GnashManDu

Post by GnashManDu » Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:08 pm

95.7 and 105.7 are some of the best signals in the market and they're doing historically garbage numbers.

Do nothing morning shows and boring playlists are not getting anything done.

Quite frankly WSNX isn't doing as well either with their piped in talent. They're simply the best of the worst in their demos.

It'll be interesting to see if Rob Sparks has any luck pulling numbers for 105.3. It might be time to retool that AM show as the gimmick has often pulled down the rest of the dayparts.

MrsWarmth

Post by MrsWarmth » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:39 pm

GnashManDu wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:08 pm

It'll be interesting to see if Rob Sparks has any luck pulling numbers for 105.3. It might be time to retool that AM show as the gimmick has often pulled down the rest of the dayparts.
Your misogyny is showing. Why would they change what's working with the Green and Gray show? Just because a man doesn't like it. Please.

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:19 pm

I expected B-93 would top the list of stations once again. I didn't expect WGRD to surpass WCSG based on recent trends.
WGRD does however have the widest variety of rock from the latest to the greatest hits of such hippy era bands as The Doors. I'd love to find out how well WGRD does in the desired 25-54 demographic especially compared to B-93 and to
WCSG. With WOOD as number four I could easily understand that because of they're still the "News Leader" and in Sep-
tember that also means Michigan Wolverines Football contributes to their increase in the September ratings.
With WLAV in fifth place I still think that Grand Rapids deserves a better classic rock station and I still think that the
Town Square people of G.R. should flip WLHT to classic rock because that's the only Town Square FM station in the mar-
ket that has the power to compete with WLAV. WLHT really is an awful station and again the WLHT call letters are very
outdated because they're not Adult Contemporary anymore. The "Hot A/C format on WLHT isn't mellow at all and even
the so called regular A/C as heard on Star 105.7 FM includes songs I would never consider playing in an A/C format.
I can see why they are down at Star 105.7 FM but again they will soon go to their annual Christmas music format as
will "The River" either on or near Halloween.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:48 pm

CHR radio is basically dead here, nothing interesting, most people stream TOP 40 or get it from tiktok anyways

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic