Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Texas mass shooting

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Texas mass shooting

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:45 am

In my first post I said a member of my staff is in a band that way playing in Dayton last night. Just got off the phone with him setting up an interview for my news department and found out his band was on stage inside the club where the shooting happened. So that hits damn close to home. I support the right to bear arms but hearing a guy I have worked with for more than 12 years almost bought it has me worked the fuck up. So I took several deep breaths, put on my bosses hat and started getting my news team working on Sunday to get this covered.
I am relieved to hear your colleague emerged unscathed, physically speaking. I cannot even begin to imagine the feelings that were running through his head as gunfire sounded. I'm sure that night will be replaying in his mind for quite a long time.

Kudos to you & your staff for the time you are devoting to reporting on the incident.

Your colleague will be able to offer first hand perspective that will be difficult to obtain elsewhere.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:56 am

bmw wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:10 am

Take drunk drivers for example. Do you support prohibition? No? So does that make you complicit in the innocent life taken EVERY 48 MINUTES in this country by a drunk driver? See how easy that game is to play? This is also a perfect example of no urgency by the public to do anything about the problem. I don't understand why guns are so different.

In that same 48 minutes. there are 3.6 gun deaths.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:58 am

I can't help but think that video games designed for the player to kill as many people as possible, in the shortest amount of time, that are played for hours on end by adolescents and teens can't help things either.

We had lots of guns in the community I grew up in. We even had a shooting club at our high school. No one ever killed or shot anyone.

Somewhere along the way, something changed. Let's figure out just what that is.

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:07 pm

Bryce wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:58 am
I can't help but think that video games designed for the player to kill as many people as possible, in the shortest amount of time, that are played for hours on end by adolescents and teens can't help things either.

We had lots of guns in the community I grew up in. We even had a shooting club at our high school. No one ever killed or shot anyone.

Could be, you have wackos running around who believe they have your President's permission.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

zzand

Post by zzand » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:08 pm

I agree Bryce. I always sit there watching family members mow down countless other sin these first person shooter games bragging about their kills. These games desensitize them and if you have young people who have mental health issues they could very well see this as a different way to be part of the online game they play. This is where good parenting comes into play. These kids need to be told time and time again that this is a fantasy world and it should never go beyond that and killing, outside of war or terror attacks and I see these shootings as domestic terror attacks, is wrong in a civilized society. Sadly many parents use these games as a babysitter so they can go about their business and know the kids are occupied. My high school had a shooting club too and we never had these issues.

Turkeytop, I respect your opinions but the constant, by politicians, anti gun activists and people in general, this is Trump's fault BS needs to stop. These shootings happened before he took office and will continue after he leaves and I don't see anyone saying it was Bush or Obama's fault. It is society as a whole that MUST take responsibility for these shootings and it is society as a whole that MUST take the lead in finding a way to end them. One side wants to take all guns way the other doesn't want to take any guns away. Somewhere in the middle are common sense approaches and laws that can be enacted and enforce that will curb them. MW has stated several of them in this thread.
Last edited by zzand on Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:13 pm

Cultural influences (video games are the perfect example) and lack of proper mental health evaluation during teenage years are big contributors.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:18 pm

Bryce wrote:
I will add two things to this. First, it isn't just the games, but the REALISTIC GRAPHICS that have emerged over the past 5 years or so thanks to advancements in technology. Remember the big Congressional debate back in the 1990s over the game Mortal Kombat? That game is so tame by today's standards. Cartoon-ish violence is one thing - Wile E. Coyote getting blown up a hundred different ways, 16-bit graphics on game consoles of the 90s, etc. But today's games look almost like the real thing.

Secondly - television. Turn on any prime-time drama and there are blood and guts galore. I'm repulsed by it and immediately change the channel. Younger people aren't and are seemingly de-sensitized to it. Once you become de-sensitized to extreme violence, I'm no psychologist here but I'm guessing you might be more prone to do these kinds of things than someone repulsed by it.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:27 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:42 am
The problem is - certain members of the right still like to use the "too soon" line multiple days or even weeks after such shootings, and accuse those of trying to implement constructive action of 'trying to score political points."
There are certain members of the right who philosophically oppose any and all gun legislation, period. I wish they would just be intellectually honest and not use the "too soon" excuse and just admit that they oppose any and all legislation. There are hard-liners on both sides of the debate who will use whatever excuses they think will work to support their position. Nothing can be done to change these peoples' minds.
MWmetalhead wrote:
You are right, which is why our duly elected officials need to DO THEIR JOBS and enact appropriate legislation, both at the federal and state level.
The problem is that this is such a polarizing issue that there is virtually no overlap whatsoever in what both sides agree to be "appropriate legislation."

Also, slightly OT but I'll state my opinion on this....
Plenty has been done to curtail drunk driving, although more action here would be prudent as well...
Driving drunk (ie, over the legal limit)? Automatic 30 days in jail and a 1-year suspension of your drivers' license
Driving drunk a second time? One year jail and 5 year suspension of your license
Third time? Another year in jail and your drivers' license is permanently revoked.

That would curtail the problem. The problem here is that there simply isn't enough deterrent built into the law.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:49 pm

Great point about the realistic quality of the graphics of video games these days.

Re: drunk driving and crimes in general, abuse of judicial discretion by loony bird judges is part of the issue. You are right; there are too many instances where punishments for certain crimes aren't doled out equally. The adage "the punishment must fit the crime" no longer applies, it seems.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:33 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:18 pm
Turn on any prime-time drama and there are blood and guts galore.
Yet, let a pair of boobies, or heven forbid a penis, show up on those same channels and people would be marching in the streets.

What kind of message does that kind of thinking send?

New York and Chicago were all in with respect to their sanctuary status — until they were hit with the challenge of actually providing sanctuary. In other words, typical liberal hypocrisy.

Bryce

Post by Bryce » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:01 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:07 pm
Bryce wrote:

Could be, you have wackos running around who believe they have your President's permission.
There were at least 40 mass shootings in our country that took place between the years 2008 and 2016. Not to mention the cop killings and riots. Trump wasnt President. I didn't see CNN trot out a cabal of kooks for 12 hours straight blaming those on Obama.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:40 pm

FOX News trotted out a number of people who blamed shootings perpetrated against police on Bill de Blasio, President Obama and others.

I don't think liberal politicians are to blame for the incidents that occurred from 2008 to 2016, and similarly, I don't believe Donald Trump is to blame for the motives of the Texas shooter. I suspect the TX shooter had a hatred of Hispanics long before Donald Trump took the oath of office.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:50 pm

zzand wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:46 am
MW, first the laws on the books need to be enforced. new laws won't be enforced any better. Second, one word, Chicago. Some of the toughest laws on the books and all you have to do is read the news every Monday to see how deadly the last weekend was. Knee jerk reactions will solve nothing. TAKE AWAY ALL THE GUNS! Not gonna work because those intent on using them for crime will still have access to them and nothing can stop that. So before news laws that don't work are made, try enforcing the ones we already have.
I think trying to curb domestic violence shootings will be much harder then shootings involving assault rifles. I'm all for starting with curbing ownership of assault rifles.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:24 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:27 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
The problem is - certain members of the right still like to use the "too soon" line multiple days or even weeks after such shootings, and accuse those of trying to implement constructive action of 'trying to score political points."
There are certain members of the right who philosophically oppose any and all gun legislation, period. I wish they would just be intellectually honest and not use the "too soon" excuse and just admit that they oppose any and all legislation. There are hard-liners on both sides of the debate who will use whatever excuses they think will work to support their position. Nothing can be done to change these peoples' minds.
Most on the right do already admit to opposing any new gun legislation for two reasons:
1) None of the proposed legislation would have actually prevented ANY of the past incidents. Why enact something that won't have ANY positive impact in solving a problem, other than just "feel good" legislation that impacts only law-abiding folks??

2) We have PLENTY of gun legislation on the books already that are not enforced. If you're not going to punish the bad guys when they break the laws, how will new laws help anything?? PLENTY of examples of that have been produced over the last 50 years.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:08 am

OK. So which gun laws were not enforced with respect to these two shootings? You think mental health screening would have zero effect?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic