All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

TV-13's weird weather forecast page at wzzm13.com

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

TV-13's weird weather forecast page at wzzm13.com

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 26, 2018 10:54 am

Why on earth are two completely different extended forecasts shown on this page? Is this the weather department's way of hedging? :lol:

https://www.wzzm13.com/10-day

One says GR will reach 90 degrees on Monday. The other says GR will reach a sultry 96 degrees.

The hideous electronic billboards in each end zone make Spartan Stadium look like a corny Arena Football League venue!

inmyopinion

Re: TV-13's weird weather forecast page at wzzm13.com

Post by inmyopinion » Sun May 27, 2018 6:37 pm

I think it's a new contest, pick the correct one and win a lightly used George Lessons bow-tie.

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Sun May 27, 2018 10:00 pm

It's easier to hit the target when there are two bullseyes.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Mon May 28, 2018 8:29 pm

I think the reason for the difference is that the second forecast on that page, the interactive one, is most likely some sort of plugin that gets its data automatically from a third-party source (especially since you can change the city and get forecast data for literally any city in the country) rather than being directly/manually maintained with WZZM's own forecast data to match what appears on the graphic.

ArrJay

Post by ArrJay » Tue May 29, 2018 1:48 am

Bull Shannon wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:29 pm
I think the reason for the difference is that the second forecast on that page, the interactive one, is most likely some sort of plugin that gets its data automatically from a third-party source (especially since you can change the city and get forecast data for literally any city in the country) rather than being directly/manually maintained with WZZM's own forecast data to match what appears on the graphic.
He's right. The bottom graphics are from Wunderground, I believe - I have their app on my phone and the highs and lows are exactly the same (and rarely "on-target" since they're not local). Noticed that last week. Why it's there is just another 'what?' from TV 13.

This started when they changed their local weather 'graphics' about a month ago (on-air and on the website). The old one they used was much nicer to look at and was actually easier to figure out at a quick glance. The new one is a big step down in quality and frankly, looks cheesy.
No idea why they felt this change was necessary.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Tue May 29, 2018 10:30 pm

ArrJay wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:48 am
Bull Shannon wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:29 pm
He's right. The bottom graphics are from Wunderground, I believe - I have their app on my phone and the highs and lows are exactly the same (and rarely "on-target" since they're not local). Noticed that last week. Why it's there is just another 'what?' from TV 13.

This started when they changed their local weather 'graphics' about a month ago (on-air and on the website). The old one they used was much nicer to look at and was actually easier to figure out at a quick glance. The new one is a big step down in quality and frankly, looks cheesy.
No idea why they felt this change was necessary.
The graphics package AND the redundant Wunderground plugin are both direct from Tegna. KARE11 has the same exact setup: https://www.kare11.com/10-day

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic