All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/18 at 10:00p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Is 101.3 next?

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Is 101.3 next?

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:01 am

Sister station WDTW-FM in Detroit, which was a near carbon copy of WBFX until this past May, last night underwent its second format change in six months.

It is now alternative as "Alt 106.7."

Could Alt 101.3 be on the horizon?

Straight alternative has always posted mediocre to poor ratings in Detroit, exempting the early to mid 90s. Didn't seem to stop iHeart. Might the same happen in GR?

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

jaydubs

Re: Is 101.3 next?

Post by jaydubs » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:40 am

I am virtually certain 2018 will bring Alt 101.3. There seems to be a boom, radio-wise, with poppish alternative, and iHeartRadio (and Entercom) are doubling down on Alternative in other markets. It will have good ratings initially (especially with Females 18-34) and then by 2020, shift back to whatever Classic Pet Rock project iHeartRadio has going on by then.

phillyb

Post by phillyb » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:07 am

If Alt 101.3 does indeed happen (and I'd be all for it) it may spell the end of WGRD as we haave known it. As pointed out on this board, WGRD is severely disrespecting its audience, mixing in flatulent classic rock and watering down its sound. I can see WGRD rapidly losing its core to Alt 101.3; and just going Pffft!

TheGadgetGuy

Post by TheGadgetGuy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:35 am

Hopefully. 101.3 isn't really knocking WLAV down a peg anymore, so might as well try something else.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:57 pm

It'll be X96.1 2.0

jaydubs

Post by jaydubs » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:38 pm

Well, as of about an hour ago, someone registered alt1013.com, but it was via 1&1 and not via the normal Mark Monitor channels that iHeartRadio usually uses. I suspect a squatter, but you never know.

format this

Post by format this » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 pm

IIRC MW, you were astounded as to how well Z96-5 in Kalamazoo was doing ratings-wise. Looks like they jumped on board before the format became hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:33 am

Indeed they did.

Does that station still have difficulty selling advertising? I haven't listened in a long time, but whenever I've checked out the station for any duration of time, the lack of spots is rather noticeable.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:27 am

With a signal is big and with as much heritage as 101.3 had/has, short of the early days when it was Aris, Alison, Big Richard, Ranger Bob and Bob and Tom (In the glory days) the station has been totally squandered by Iheart. If anyone local were ever to get their hands on it, it would do much, much better. A Format flip to anything at this point on 101.3 will barely be noticed in my opinion except by the few people who have it on as "Rock" background now.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:44 am

Two comments:
- The PD of the Detroit station remains Casey Krukowski, the same guy who calls the programming shots for WBFX
- The possibility of a flip in Grand Rapids was mentioned on the Detroit station's FB page by an iHeart employee

I can only hope any such flip - should one happen - would result in the removal of the f*cking awful "Rover's Morning Glory" show.

WGRD still sounds like an unfocused pile of shit. Hopefully Townsquare either hires a new PD or sells their West Michigan stations soon. Seriously, WGRD other than morning show sounds every bit as awful as WKLQ did during the 2003 - 2006 timeframe.

Biff

Post by Biff » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:53 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:44 am
Two comments:
- The PD of the Detroit station remains Casey Krukowski, the same guy who calls the programming shots for WBFX
- The possibility of a flip in Grand Rapids was mentioned on the Detroit station's FB page by an iHeart employee

I can only hope any such flip - should one happen - would result in the removal of the f*cking awful "Rover's Morning Glory" show.

WGRD still sounds like an unfocused pile of shit. Hopefully Townsquare either hires a new PD or sells their West Michigan stations soon. Seriously, WGRD other than morning show sounds every bit as awful as WKLQ did during the 2003 - 2006 timeframe.
Townsquare is probably in the middle of contract negotiations with FBHW whose contract expires in March.

Happy trees and happy clouds.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:11 am

If I were iFart, I'd do everything in my power to pry them away from WGRD.

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:47 pm

Serious question -

how do you pull anybody away when you have a company that's that deep in debt and has no cash?

jaydubs

Post by jaydubs » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:44 am

The GR flip mention was evidently NOT an iHeart employee, but someone pretending to be. If you look a little closer, the user "works" at "every alternative station" at iHeart, Townsquare and Cumulus but has a regular job at a sprinkler manufacturer in Hastings. I suspect they are also the squatter who registered every possible iteration of alt1013 on 1&1 (also see RadioInsight, Daily Domains report, 11/27). Perhaps some wishful thinking there, although SOME change on 101.3 would be great, including the removal of that Morning Glory show, which is having terrible ratings anyway in GR...
MWmetalhead wrote:
Two comments:

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:09 pm

I can corroborate that, Jaydubs.

The guy was a poseur and definitely NOT an iHeart employee.

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:25 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:

I can only hope any such flip - should one happen - would result in the removal of the f*cking awful "Rover's Morning Glory" show
As someone who lives in Shane's home market, I apologize that his success here (no idea how he got it) has caused his garbage to spread to other markets.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic