Hello! Welcome to the Michigan Radio & TV Buzzboard. All accepted new account registrations through 12-09-2017 at 9:00a ET have been activated. I apologize for the delay in activating new accounts.

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Joe Kopecek Out at WXMI?

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Localnewsisdead

Joe Kopecek Out at WXMI?

Post by Localnewsisdead » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:03 am

I was just poking around Fox 17's website and noticed that they have a job listing for chief meteorologist (http://fox17online.com/2017/11/07/chief-meteorologist/). Kopecek's bio, however, is still on their website (http://fox17online.com/author/joe-kopecek/). I have't tuned in for a while so I'm not sure if Joe has been on lately or not. Regardless, either through retirement or non-renewal of contract it appears that Mr. Kopecek is done at WXMI.

Trophyhead

Re: Joe Kopecek Out at WXMI?

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:36 am

Quite sure that I saw Joe on the air last week.

I have not seen any examples of it recently, but 17 has asked Kevin Craig to wear two hats on the air, and produce feature content. Ty Shesky and Candace Monacelli are similarly required, I think that Garry Frank is somehow outside that use pattern, as was Kopecek.

They do right around 60 hrs. of news content a week on there, spreading the weather coverage over five forecasters to this point. Seems like "old Joe" is being shown the door, rather than moving to create the region's largest TV weather staff with six.

Biff

Post by Biff » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:13 am

He was on last night. Possibly retiring quietly.
Happy trees and happy clouds.

Biff

Post by Biff » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:14 am

As an aside, I always like Mecklenberg but he's burned too many bridges to have a shot at being brought back.
Happy trees and happy clouds.

larrybud

Post by larrybud » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:02 am

Mecklenberg has not burned bridges, he has nuked them.

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Kopecek is leaving to take on his new business venture full-time. He is staying as long as necessary until they find the right fit for his replacement. This is not a case of him being shown the door, but simply a case of Joe wanting to try something new, that also fits better into his family life. As for Rick Mecklenberg???? Stop....just stop....

trevorlinck

Post by trevorlinck » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:28 pm

i wonder if any of the existing meteorologists were/are being considered. job posting is asking for someone who’s been a chief meteorologist, which garry frank has.

also, yeah, that’s a no on mecklenburg. he recently went ape shit (online) on a completely innocent, undeserving female friend of mine. it was astounding.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:20 pm

gee, Joe's roots are in Lansing..................
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:48 pm

I think they should make Kevin the Chief since he's been at Fox17 the longest or being back Peter Chang but I know that isn't going to happen. I wonder what Peter is doing now don't hear much about him anymore.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

WMnewslover

Post by WMnewslover » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:43 pm

trevorlinck wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:28 pm
i wonder if any of the existing meteorologists were/are being considered. job posting is asking for someone who’s been a chief meteorologist, which garry frank has.

also, yeah, that’s a no on mecklenburg. he recently went ape shit (online) on a completely innocent, undeserving female friend of mine. it was astounding.
For heaven's sake, I hope they don't give it to Garry Frank. I don't know how he ever got to be chief meteorologist anywhere. He is horrible!! My vote would be for Kevin to step up. He has paid his dues through the years at Fox. Mecklenburg has completely lost it. Sad..he was a good meteorologist.

OneBigFan

Post by OneBigFan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:23 pm

WXMI ran off Peter Chan about 5 years ago and he landed at NOAA.

Won't be surprised to see a replacement from a bottom 100 market whose bio will read that where ever they came from had weather that changed quickly blah blah blah blah blah.

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:26 pm

HD74 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:20 pm
Not sure what you're getting at here...??

tvradiojunkie

Post by tvradiojunkie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:08 pm

inmyopinion wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:26 pm
HD74 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:20 pm
Not sure what you're getting at here...??
Guessing what HD was getting at was a return to the Lansing market? He did spend a lot of years at WILX.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:34 am

Actually I was wondering if they might pull someone in from Lansing again, certainly less hassle with a person who knows the area and how Michigan weather works.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:08 am

I have not seen any examples of it recently, but 17 has asked Kevin Craig to wear two hats on the air, and produce feature content. Ty Shesky and Candace Monacelli are similarly required, I think that Garry Frank is somehow outside that use pattern, as was Kopecek
Monacelli should have as little air time as possible; saw her on-air for the first time last month. AWFUL. That voice. Yikes.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

trevorlinck

Post by trevorlinck » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:57 am

i don’t agree. she’s not amazing but she does fine. better than the creepy whisper from tracy (or the shriek that was tracy’s live hits). better than garry or goofy kevin. i don’t mind candace on-air, though her social media has proven to be nearly as bothersome as old hinson’s. 17 will definitely miss joe.

quacky

Post by quacky » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:32 pm

[quote=trevorlinck post_id=566011 time=1512835053 user_id=14410]
i don’t agree. she’s not amazing but she does fine. better than the creepy whisper from tracy (or the shriek that was tracy’s live hits). better than garry or goofy kevin. i don’t mind candace on-air, though her social media has proven to be nearly as bothersome as old hinson’s. 17 will definitely miss joe.
[/quote]

I have to agree. Even though Monacelli voice is hoarse at times, her delivery is on point. Nice personality and explains the weather very well compared to Garry Frank. She does a lot more out in the field also.I cant believe Garry Frank was ever hired. Kopecek has no sense of humor, boring, and no personally, all business,glad he is leaving. I can deal with Kevin. He knows his stuff.

WMnewslover

Post by WMnewslover » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:49 pm

trevorlinck wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:57 am
I agree. Candace does an okay job with the forecast. I started out thinking that her voice was kind of smokey and almost nice to listen to. I have recently changed that opinion big time. It is painful to listen to her. Such an annoying voice. Almost sounds masculine. Definitely not my favorite female meteorologist, but I totally agree that she is better than Hinson ever hoped to be. Hinson's forecast voice was so fake and forced. And I also agree she was so so full of herself. She was a cutie, no doubt, but a sorry excuse for a meteorologist...because she was only a forecaster. Garry is unbelievable. I can't imagine he was actually hired. Joe might be boring, but he knows his stuff. He is not Mr. Personality, like Kevin, but I am sad to see Joe go. Garry needs to be canned...send him out to Portland with his girl Tracy!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:48 pm

It is painful to listen to her. Such an annoying voice. Almost sounds masculine.
Exactly.
C'mon iHeartRadio - do the RIGHT thing for once! Please cancel "Rover's Morning Glory" from WBFX in Grand Rapids.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Kevin Craig = apologist for the National Weather Service's tornado warning failures.

I mean, the Wyoming / Kentwood tornado was caught on VIDEO. There were power flashes. Kyle Underwood live during WOOD-TV's 10p newscast that evening noted doppler radar was indicating winds near 90 mph near US-131 & M-6 as the event was occurring. Yet, Kevin Craig - in total douche bag style - pats the NWS on the back, and says it was perfectly acceptable for them to not have warned for that storm in a timely fashion.

I lost a LOT of respect for Kevin Craig after that little episode.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic