Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Amazon pays no taxes

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
TC Talks

Amazon pays no taxes

Post by TC Talks » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:58 pm

Hey conservatives!

Is this the America you want? Just think of all those America jobs they ended by making it easier to buy things from China!

So much winning GOP!
Those wondering how many zeros Amazon, which is valued at nearly $800 billion, has to pay in federal taxes might be surprised to learn that its check to the IRS will read exactly $0.00.
http://fortune.com/2019/02/14/amazon-do ... axes-2019/

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

bmw

Re: Amazon pays no taxes

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:12 pm

And exactly why should a corporation pay taxes anyways? Any tax paid by a corporation will ultimately be passed on to the consumer.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:22 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:12 pm
And exactly why should a corporation pay taxes anyways? Any tax paid by a corporation will ultimately be passed on to the consumer.
True, and shareholders. But as a result, you pay more in taxes than you would if they didn't dodge theirs.

As much as I hate WalMart, they collect sales, income and property taxes. Why shouldn't Amazon?

It costs money to run the government, including that 56 billion the GOP wants to add to the military. Why do those shareholders get a break when the regular guy gets stuck with the bill.
The new tax law, reducing Walmart's rate to 21 percent, will save the company between $1 billion and $2 billion a year. (Walmart pays between $6 billion and $7 billion a year in taxes now.) Walmart put the costs of yesterday's new pay and benefits at less than $1 billion companywide .Jan 12, 2018
Last edited by TC Talks on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:25 pm

I always heard from people in the company that it was just awful, but wow, wtf

Music is my life.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:29 pm

To be clear on two things:

1 - I'm no fan of Amazon. I think they're way too big and it wouldn't bother me one bit if the government declared them as a monopoly and broke them up.

2 - I'm a proponent of the FairTax so the tax argument here with me is moot. Simply collect a federal tax on all merchandise at the point of sale and you could do away with all other federal taxes.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:50 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:29 pm

1 - I'm no fan of Amazon. I think they're way too big and it wouldn't bother me one bit if the government declared them as a monopoly and broke them up.

2 - I'm a proponent of the FairTax so the tax argument here with me is moot. Simply collect a federal tax on all merchandise at the point of sale and you could do away with all other federal taxes.
Consumption taxes benefit millionaire completely.

I clear $30,000 I spend $12,000 paying 10% sales tax $1,200. 4% of my income.

I clear $1,000,000 and spend $100,000 paying 10% sales tax $10,000. 1% of my income or 75% less than the poor guy.

How is that fair taxation?

― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:42 pm

bmw wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:29 pm

The fair tax is hardly fair. If everybody sends 10% the guy making 10,000 just took a hit that will make it hard to exist and the millionaire took one less golf weekend. A progressive tax is actually fair because it increases the percentages as income goes up this evening out the amounts paid by everyone. The folks who thought of that way back in 1913 weren’t stupid.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:22 am

I think it's appalling that we have a tax system that allows Amazon to pay zero taxes but I don't for one minute blame them for taking all their legally allowed deductions, exemptions, etc that got them to zero.

As far as a "fair" tax system I believe a graduated tax is in the countries best interest but a simplified graduated tax that maybe gets rid of just about every deduction and credit other than perhaps for minor children.
The problem I have with anything called a "fair tax" is life isn't fair. And when the term "life isn't fair" gets tossed out it is usually done by somebody on the right side of "life isn't fair" and aimed at somebody on the wrong side.

I no longer directly engage trolls

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:10 pm

Very curious to see Trump’s tax records. And we will.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic