All new acct registrations in the queue as of 10/14 at 10:00a ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

WGRD's sloppy automation during weekends (UPDATE: PD Johnnie Walker has apparently been fired.)

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

WGRD's sloppy automation during weekends (UPDATE: PD Johnnie Walker has apparently been fired.)

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:22 pm

I love the sweeper that says "New Rock...NOW!" that almost every single time is followed by some crappy dinosaur rock song from 30 or 35 years ago.

Happens every weekend.

Do these people not take any pride in how their station sounds?

FIX IT please!!!!!

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

originalzzmfmjock

Re: WGRD's PD needs to get off his ass & fix his station's sloppy automation

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:40 pm

I tuned into GRD this weekend and heard "I Want You To Want Me" by Cheap Trick. I played that song on the radio in 1979 when I was 27 (and on WGRD too for that matter.) I'm 65 now. Nothing "New Rock" about that one.

phillyb

Post by phillyb » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:57 am

100.5, 95.7, 98.7, and 1410/104.9 are all aiming at a female-heavy audience. WGRD is the odd duck in the cluster, as its audience is male-dominated. Perhaps somebody got the big idea that ALL of Townsquare's stations need to be female-dominated, and this is corporate's way of going about it--either by attracting new females to the existing active rock format or destroying that format so that some other more female-dominated format can be put on the station. This does indeed seem to be a chainwide-phemomenon (and if you ever listen to the Townsquare-syndicated "Loudwire nights" you will see that immediately--it really, really sucks!).

jaydubs

Post by jaydubs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:46 pm

I predict a flip back to a milquetoast version of an Alternative "Rock" station. That would be female-friendly. Then, 101.3 will over-react and have an interesting playlist with some Active tracks in it for a few months until they find some way to screw it up again...

48125er

Post by 48125er » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:35 pm

LAV, GRD and the brew all sound the same to me now, FGR sounds blah too.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:14 pm

originalzzmfmjock wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:40 pm
I tuned into GRD this weekend and heard "I Want You To Want Me" by Cheap Trick. I played that song on the radio in 1979 when I was 27 (and on WGRD too for that matter.) I'm 65 now. Nothing "New Rock" about that one.
I'm guessing it was the live version (from the Budokan). I've heard the studio version exactly once on radio: On then-101.3 the Fox late night when I was at GVSU

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:11 am

I heard the studio version of "I Want You to Want Me" Wednesday on the LPFM operated by Mentor Partners in Big Rapids, 99.1.

I don't know why WGRD has never merited preset worthiness on my part. Automation screwups are not their problem alone.

tc

Post by tc » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:14 pm

Trophyhead wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:11 am
I heard the studio version of "I Want You to Want Me" Wednesday on the LPFM operated by Mentor Partners in Big Rapids, 99.1.

I don't know why WGRD has never merited preset worthiness on my part. Automation screwups are not their problem alone.
I've always liked the studio version better, rarely hear it on the air.

Biff

Post by Biff » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:49 am

Apparently Johnny Walker has been let go from TS.

On Monday the entire FBHW show is relegated to "best of" because of too many show members being too sick to come into work.

The FBHW YouTube account vanishes.

All of this occurs within a very short period of time.

Things that make you go hmmmmm...........

Happy trees and happy clouds.

wonderkid69

Post by wonderkid69 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:14 am

Looking at their website this was posted for the upcoming job fair..

Townsquare Media Grand Rapids

Townsquare Media Grand Rapids has openings for a media and digital sales account executive, program directors, promotion directors, music directors, production directors, station general managers, dozens of on-air positions and of course we need a receptionist. If you know what it takes to win, want to grow professionally and can move at the speed of light and still have fun, we want to talk to you about our media and digital sales account executive along with the many other positions available needed. To apply, send your name and number to: Townsquare Media, 50 Monroe Ave NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503. Contact Stephanie Gonda, (616) 459-1633 or email Stephanie.Gonda@townsquaremedia.com. Get more details on the openings WGRD's Townsquare Media Grand Rapids employment page.

TheGadgetGuy

Post by TheGadgetGuy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:31 pm

He is indeed gone from WGRD's schedule - http://wgrd.com/shows/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Wow - this is fucked up.

I don't know if he's to blame for the shitty sound of the station or if he tried to fight the changes.

His tenure started out smoothly enough. Until three or four months ago, I thought the station consistently sounded decent - outside of the ultra-bland "Loudwire Nights" program.

Of note, Doug Podell exited WCSX within the past 48 hours.

This is a bad time for fans of rock radio in the Wolverine state. Corporate owners are fucking things up...badly.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:51 pm

BTW, I'm torn as to whether I should apply for the Program Director, General Manager or Receptionist positions. :)

frankie knuckles

Re: WGRD's sloppy automation during weekends (UPDATE: PD Johnnie Walker has apparently been fired.)

Post by frankie knuckles » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:09 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:51 pm
BTW, I'm torn as to whether I should apply for the Program Director, General Manager or Receptionist positions. :)
Don’t worry. If you get the job, they’ll make you do all three, plus clean the toilets.

For $30,000 a year.

jesusjenny

Re: WGRD's sloppy automation during weekends (UPDATE: PD Johnnie Walker has apparently been fired.)

Post by jesusjenny » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:18 am

Apply now to be part of the sinking ship known as corporate radio. No job security, no promotions, no raises, no recognition, no autonomy, no creativity, no flexibility and if you stray from the corporate playlist or don't make 15 mandatory blog posts a week full of bullshit - you're fired. What an exciting time to be part of this dynamic industry and company!

Where do I apply?

PS - We don't have a real receptionist, we canned her a long time ago. We just make the sales people take turns at the front desk as part of their "job" here.

jaydubs

Post by jaydubs » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:38 am

It sounds like they may be attempting to reboot that station - otherwise, that's a lot of hiring just to maintain the status quo. Of course, I'm not exactly holding my breath here...

frankie knuckles

Post by frankie knuckles » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:24 am

jesusjenny wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:18 am
Apply now to be part of the sinking ship known as corporate radio. No job security, no promotions, no raises, no recognition, no autonomy, no creativity, no flexibility and if you stray from the corporate playlist or don't make 15 mandatory blog posts a week full of bullshit - you're fired. What an exciting time to be part of this dynamic industry and company!

Where do I apply?

PS - We don't have a real receptionist, we canned her a long time ago. We just make the sales people take turns at the front desk as part of their "job" here.
Wow, Jenny, you are right about those blog posts.
Absolutely no one goes to their local radio stations’s website to catch up on the latest news, yet the trend today is to force air talent to write mandatory bullshit on there all day that gets zero views.
Anyone doubting me on this should go check a few “blog posts”. None of them have any comments, even on popular stations. It’s asinine. Just an arbitrary way for stations to dupe gullible ad buyers on their awesome “web presence”. Those websites are like those balsa wood facades of fake towns they used to use to film westerns. Look behind the wall and all you see is a tumbleweed and a used condom.

tweet this

Post by tweet this » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:59 pm

TS is a digital media company first, and a radio company second. That's why there's that crazy mandatory blog post rule. Knowing several people who are in or have been in that company, they tell me that's the thing that makes them want to bash their heads into brick walls, the most. Until TS understands that it's not about the amount of content, but how you can take quality content to intertwine from on air to digital, it'll be websites continuing to be full of useless clutter. I'm curious to see where GRD goes with all the things going on.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Anyone doubting me on this should go check a few “blog posts”. None of them have any comments, even on popular stations. It’s asinine. Just an arbitrary way for stations to dupe gullible ad buyers on their awesome “web presence”. Those websites are like those balsa wood facades of fake towns they used to use to film westerns. Look behind the wall and all you see is a tumbleweed and a used condom.
I tip my cap to you, sir! :)

Those remarks are clever, extremely humorous, and balls-on accurate all at the same time. That was one of the best posts I've read on the Buzzboard in many months.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic