Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Most versatile radio pop/rock song

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Bobbert

Most versatile radio pop/rock song

Post by Bobbert » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:35 am

The other day I heard "Tiny Dancer" by Elton John on a restaurant radio station—I think WNIC. I thought, what a timeless classic, and started wondering what other songs have been played the most on the four pop/rock stations in town—WOMC, WNIC, WCSX, and WDZH.

Other songs that came to mind were "Night Moves" by Bob Seger, and 1980s power ballads by hard rock bands.

(I know WCSX wouldn't like being called pop/rock, but just this morning, they played Some Kind of Wonderful — Grand Funk,
Let's Dance — David Bowie, Hello, I Love You — The Doors, Summer of '69 — Bryan Adams, Free Bird — Lynyrd Skynyrd, Keep Your Hands To Yourself — Georgia Satellites, More Than a Feeling — Boston, Got My Mind Set On You — George Harrison)

fuzzpower

Re: Most versatile radio pop/rock song

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:14 pm

Still don’t get why any Elton John would be played on a classic rock station.

ZenithCKLW

Post by ZenithCKLW » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:45 pm

I love 1970’s-80’s Elton John music. Tiny Dancer, Bennie and the Jets, Funeral For A Friend, Yellow Brick Road.

I’m thinking of “timeless classics” across many genres that has made it onto many popular formats, so what about these:

Michael Jackson - Thriller
Aretha Franklin - Respect
Doobie Brothers - What A Fool Believes
Earth, Wind, And Fire - September
Fleetwood Mac - Dreams and Rihannon
George Harrison - My Sweet Lord
Hall and Oates - I Can’t Go For That (No Can Do) - (I love this one)
Journey - Don’t Stop Believin’ (a classic, but grossly overplayed)
Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence, and Mrs. Robinson
Steely Dan - Do It Again
Toto - Africa (another overplayed classic)

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:50 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:14 pm
Elton was played on Rock Stations like WRIF, WABX and WWWW back in the 70’s And is considered Classic Rock today.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:43 am

"Dont stop Believin" is played multiple times a day on several stations-whichever one it fits on. Classic rock, soft rock, etc. So theres your answer.
Im also so sick of hearing it every blasted time I turn on the radio that I want to buy a firearm just to shoot out my speakers the next time it spins.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:49 am

It’s also called safe music, All the stations play these songs because most of the listeners know those songs, Although the music isn’t safe from your firearm. Side note: Remind me never to piss you off.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:30 am

Steve Korvette wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:50 pm
fuzzpower wrote:
Elton was played on Rock Stations like WRIF, WABX and WWWW back in the 70’s And is considered Classic Rock today.
In the 70s, I remember the fun of discovering all of the great Elton John album cuts that made me realize he was much more than a Top 40 musician.

For example, most of Tumbleweed Connection, Holiday Inn, Hercules, Teacher I Need You, High Flying Bird, Blues for Baby and Me, Danny Bailey, Grey Seal, I've Seen the Saucers, most of Captain Fantastic and Rock of the Westies, and about half of Blue Moves.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:10 am

Steve Korvette wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:49 am
It’s also called safe music, All the stations play these songs because most of the listeners know those songs, Although the music isn’t safe from your firearm. Side note: Remind me never to piss you off.
I would not use a gun on a person. Id use it on any object that irritated me with overplayed, stale, cliche-filled songs that wore out their welcome years ago.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:35 am

It was mentioned how Elton John could be played on a Classic Rock format station, I propose the bigger question is HOW THE HELL IS HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS NOW CONSIDERED CLASSIC ROCK (WCSX) WHEN THEY NEVER BREATHED ANY AIRTIME ON REGULAR FM ROCK STATIONS BACK THEN...???? Carry on...

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:00 am

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:10 am
Steve Korvette wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:49 am
I would not use a gun on a person. Id use it on any object that irritated me with overplayed, stale, cliche-filled songs that wore out their welcome years ago.
I know you sound like a good Dude, I was just joking.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:06 am

Bobbert wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:30 am
Steve Korvette wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:50 pm
fuzzpower wrote:
In the 70s, I remember the fun of discovering all of the great Elton John album cuts that made me realize he was much more than a Top 40 musician.

For example, most of Tumbleweed Connection, Holiday Inn, Hercules, Teacher I Need You, High Flying Bird, Blues for Baby and Me, Danny Bailey, Grey Seal, I've Seen the Saucers, most of Captain Fantastic and Rock of the Westies, and about half of Blue Moves.
Elton is a musical genius and his best masterpiece and he has many is the album “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” and the best tune or tunes are “Funeral For A Friend”/“ Love Lies Bleeding” definitely a true Classic .

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:11 am

fuzzpower wrote:
The definition of what was Pop, Soft Rock, Progressive Rock, and Hard Rock were quite different in the seventies as they are now.

Elton John was a very versatile artist. The same EJ track would get heavy airplay on WABX, WRIF and WWWW (AOR), WNIC and WJR (AC), WXYZ and CKLW (CHR - called Top 40 in the day).

Most AOR stations flipped to Active Rock, leaving EJ out.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:11 am

lidoshuffle wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:35 am
It was mentioned how Elton John could be played on a Classic Rock format station, I propose the bigger question is HOW THE HELL IS HUEY LEWIS & THE NEWS NOW CONSIDERED CLASSIC ROCK (WCSX) WHEN THEY NEVER BREATHED ANY AIRTIME ON REGULAR FM ROCK STATIONS BACK THEN...???? Carry on...
Huey Lewis Not Classic Rock.

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:36 am

I like how much revisionist history people seem to have. Now that a certain band or artist is classified as soft rock or Top 40 pop rock, that is how they have always been classified. Huey Lewis and the News got air play on rock stations in the early 80's with tracks off "Picture This" and "Sports". I remember "Do You Believe in Love", "Working for a Living", "Heart of Rock and Roll", "I Want a New Drug", and "Power of Love" all getting plenty of airplay on rock radio. People claim that Billy Joel was never rock, but "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me", "Allentown", and "Pressure" were all over the place. Same thing with Elton John. Next people are going to be saying that Eagles, Bryan Adams, J Geils, Neil Young and Eric Clapton were never played on rock stations.

Soft Rock in the early 80s was stuff like Chicago, Air Supply, Christopher Cross, Neil Diamond, the Carpenters, Barry Manilow.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:53 pm

It seems everyone has their own definition of the meaning of "classic rock"

Music is my life.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic