All new acct registrations in the queue as of 9/6 at 8:30p ET have been activated. Want to share your favorite Buzzboard posts with your social media page readers? Now, there's an easy way to do it! Visit this page for instructions: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=47643

(Note: hover your mouse pointer near the upper right corner of this box and click the "x" to close it.)

Muskegon spring ratings - WMRR & WLAW fall off a cliff!

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Muskegon spring ratings - WMRR & WLAW fall off a cliff!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:06 am

The spring '17 book was probably WMRR's softest of the past 15 years - maybe longer!

WLAW, once a semi-popular station locally, has seen its numbers fall by the wayside. People liked The Outlaw. Nash Icon SUCKS. Nothing will change, unfortunately.

Too bad WOOD-FM no longer subscribes; would be very interesting to see how their numbers look along the lakeshore in the Trump era.

Would also be fun to see the numbers of stations such as 103.7, 106.1 and 100.9, and of course, spillover stations from the G.R. market.

http://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb566

These results suggest only about 30% of radio listening in the Muskegon market area belongs to commercial stations whose studios are actually based in Muskegon County.

WSNX, WHTS and WOOD-FM probably command an additional 16% to 18% of the market between the three of 'em.

That means a LOT of listening is going to true out-of-market stations, non-commercial stations, LPFM, Pandora and Sirius XM!

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Muskegon spring ratings - WMRR & WLAW fall off a cliff!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:35 pm

Another lousy book for MRR. WMUS is struggling, too, and 92.5 is damn near a non-factor.

The new #1, you ask? V100.

I bet 100.9 and 103.7 are both very popular and are likely outperforming some of the iFart and Cumulus stations.

Radio's downfall has been under-investing in its core competency and becoming distracted by delusions of grandeur by thinking development of a half-assed national digital strategy will somehow put it on par with the Facebooks and Googles of the world.

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:08 am

Iheart and cumulus have all basically given up on the Muskegon and they did long ago. The fact that all of these stations have only a combined total of 30% tells you how much the community thinks of them as well. They are almost worthless. Muskegon isn't big enough to pull off the small town media that Muskegon wants. This is proof of that. People are going elsewhere and can't say as I blame them. The Non-Coms, internet etc do a much better job serving the community. Would be interesting to see those number.

The Outlaw (or used to be) totally sucks now that it's "Nash Icon". Lifeless, boring and corporate. Just what a station out of Newaygo aimed as Muskegon should be... NOT.

Lots of great examples in the failure of corporate radio here, especially in a market like Muskegon.

In some ways, I'm surprised that these companies have held on to them as long as they have.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:24 am

However, it's a very good book for WLCS

MisterGoodrich2U

Post by MisterGoodrich2U » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:08 pm

Warning! Old fart reminiscing alert.....

Ah, the good old days of WMUS and WSNX fighting it out with 20+ shares. Local radio. High spot rates. Decently paid 24-hour air staffs :8) .

..... Jill Wagner is ssssoooooo hot!

option1

Post by option1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:04 am

875 E. Summit MrGoodrich. One thing about Bob, eccentric as hell, crazy like a fox, but he took care of his peeps.

RadioGuest

Re: 100.9 & 103.7

Post by RadioGuest » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:46 am

For those wanting ratings for 100.9 and 103.7 (fall book only):
The "Beat" continues to show strong while the other one is pretty nonexistent.
{To capture everybody, I've selected 12+}

Persons 12+
A/R A/S Wkly Cume TSL Cume Wkly
6a-10a
WUVS-FM 0.3 2.3 4.1 1:30 500 6,000
WFFR-FM 0.0 0.0 0.5 1:00 0 700

M-F 10a-3p
WUVS-FM 0.4 2.4 4.1 2:45 600 6,100
WFFR-FM 0.1 0.4 0.2 6:00 100 300

M-F 3p-7p
WUVS-FM 0.6 4.1 4.7 2:30 900 7,000
WFFR-FM 0.1 0.5 0.4 2:15 100 600

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:31 pm

Cool...thanks for sharing!

I'm stunned by how poor 100.9's numbers are.

farmer161

Post by farmer161 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:10 pm

I'm not sure if there is a correlation but I just visited the website for WFRR and the number of misspelled words is atrocious. Please take a little pride in your presentation.

MisterGoodrich2U

Post by MisterGoodrich2U » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:39 pm

Apparently they have abandoned their website. The last "news" post was more than five months ago. How accurate is the rest of the information?

They are active on Facebook. Why can't they keep up a website?

The two bios of "on-air" on the website are barely in English.

Grade = F

..... Jill Wagner is ssssoooooo hot!

jesusjenny

Post by jesusjenny » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:35 am

One thing of note here. I think WFFR has been on a couple of years, Where WUVS has been on for almost 15 years. Not sure how much either of these stations "Market". Is the goal of these stations to have big numbers - I would be curious as to find out what the MO is for these stations actually is.

No excuse for an outdated website, although honestly if you look at most radio station websites these days, they are full of filler garbage and ads, with very little "useful" content if we want to call it that.

doccob

Post by doccob » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:29 am

The Outlaw was a great station, and i'm not even a fan of country music, I used to struggle to get it tuned in where i live...Thanks Kevin Mathews for being smarter then corporate radio,,

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:26 am

Another guy we should thank for the outlaw is the late John Alan. He masterminded the format with Kevin. John worked at WMUS for many years and at several top 40/Rock stations in the area and had a vast knowledge of Rock and Country music. He along with Kevin were the brains of the operation.

ChrisKun2K5

Post by ChrisKun2K5 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:46 am

Nash Icon may work in a pinch if there's no other station nearby playing "real" country, but it is not a substitute for a true country classics station. It's not worth having to sit through Luke Bryan, Brantley Gilbert and Rascal Flatts to hear the "good" stuff. The only other terrestrial option short of WSM at night is if you have an HD radio and can get WBCT-HD2.

WRCI down in Three Rivers dropped the WW1 Classic Country format they were airing in favor of Nash Icon a few years ago, and then went back to the previous Classic Country format probably just a few months later. That ought to be proof of what a poor product Nash Icon is.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:01 am

I agree that it's a rotten product. Would love to know which moron(s) thought putting Florida Georgia Line and Sam Hunt on a station that also plays Alan Jackson, Shania Twain and Garth Brooks was a good idea!

STARKY

Post by STARKY » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:39 am

MY how things change. When i was on wmus in the 80's i had a 19 share...lol..hehehe...fun days

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:32 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:01 am
I agree that it's a rotten product. Would love to know which moron(s) thought putting Florida Georgia Line and Sam Hunt on a station that also plays Alan Jackson, Shania Twain and Garth Brooks was a good idea!
A "classic country" station should never play FGL or Sam Hunt. Instead, it should be playing stuff like Keith Whitley, Diamond Rio, Hank Williams Jr., and Randy Travis, just to name a few.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic