Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Prince Phillip and All Advanced Age Drivers: Dangerous!

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
screen glare

Prince Phillip and All Advanced Age Drivers: Dangerous!

Post by screen glare » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:54 am

I hope the car crash caused by 97-year old Prince Phillip will start a serious conversation about elderly drivers giving up driving when they reach a certain age.

There was a baby, the mother, and another woman in the other car. Both women were injured. A broken wrist and cuts. The baby is alright. The royal’s Land Rover ended up on its side.

Of all the arguments one hears about in families - taking away the car keys from an elderly parent is one of the most hard fought. Yet - it must be done. Usually the adult children are left with the important task. And often - even after several confrontations on the matter - elderly mom or dad wins.

I think government needs to step in. If there are rules that govern when one is allowed to start driving - there should also be rules about when one must stop driving.

Maybe at a certain age - like 80 - all drivers should have to take a driving test with an evaluator in the passenger seat. A test that goes on for more than an hour. One that includes reaction times, tests of hearing and sight (including night driving), plus a written test about the rules of the road.

A very pervasive and serious arguement in many families. And really - a life or death issue - for everyone out on the road.

Deleted User 24

Re: Prince Phillip and All Advanced Age Drivers: Dangerous!

Post by Deleted User 24 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:03 am

We had to disable my mother's car to get her to stop driving. Even after she completely bombed the test to renew her license, she kept driving. We owed it to her and everyone on the roads.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:17 am

Kudos to you & your family, Vic, for doing that.
Maybe at a certain age - like 80 - all drivers should have to take a driving test with an evaluator in the passenger seat. A test that goes on for more than an hour. One that includes reaction times, tests of hearing and sight (including night driving), plus a written test about the rules of the road.
I fully support this proposal. I would also support the notion of restricted licenses for elderly drivers - i.e. no freeway driving, no nighttime driving, etc.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:32 am

Yes! I have been trying to say this for years!!
But what I think is that people should be required to retake a FULL Drivers Ed Course, not just a retest.

And have it every 15 years!
Not just when you reach like 80.

This would be so beneficial.
It's a burden on the wallets yes, but it's worth it.

Music is my life.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:28 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:17 am
Kudos to you & your family, Vic, for doing that.
I fully support this proposal. I would also support the notion of restricted licenses for elderly drivers - i.e. no freeway driving, no nighttime driving, etc.
That's discrimination.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:33 pm

Driving is a privilege, not a right.

I'm not saying restrict ALL elderly drives. I'm saying only restrict those who've proven themselves incapable of operating a motor vehicle safely in certain conditions.

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:44 pm

I have close relatives that are over 85 and have a perfect driving record over their lifetime (no tickets, no accidents). The drive daily and operate a farm, lifting heavy objects, and are fit as a horse. They have perfect vision (thanks to cataract surgery).

I recently rode with them on I-75 at posted speeds. There is no reason they should be put a battery of tests just because a time stamp.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:27 pm

In Ontario, drivers over 80 must do a written and a driving test. The people who administer the tests are members of my Union. One of them told me that when it comes to the driving test, they look to the family member for a signal as to whether Mom, Dad or Granny should be allowed to drive. If the answer is no, they can always fail them for something. None of us are perfect drivers, by the book.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:40 pm

That's a bit arbitrary. Make better tests, if need be.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:11 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:40 pm
That's a bit arbitrary. Make better tests, if need be.
I'm not defending it. I'm just saying that's the way it is. It's probably against the rules of the job.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:42 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:44 pm
I have close relatives that are over 85 and have a perfect driving record over their lifetime (no tickets, no accidents). The drive daily and operate a farm, lifting heavy objects, and are fit as a horse. They have perfect vision (thanks to cataract surgery).

I recently rode with them on I-75 at posted speeds. There is no reason they should be put a battery of tests just because a time stamp.
If you can’t drive safely (which many folks above around 80 can't) then you should be subject to further scrutiny for the safety of others. This is serious life and death stuff. And those healthy as a horse folks you mention are short timers... would you want the end to come while they are moving 70 mph?

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:06 pm

I asked a cop here in Florida if I'm allowed to ride my bike on the sidewalk. He wiped the cottage cheese from his chin and said "You're not supposed to, but with all the drunks and old people on the road here, you should ride on the sidewalk."

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 pm

NS8401 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:42 pm
audiophile wrote:

If you can’t drive safely (which many folks above around 80 can't) then you should be subject to further scrutiny for the safety of others. This is serious life and death stuff. And those healthy as a horse folks you mention are short timers... would you want the end to come while they are moving 70 mph?
I would be more concerned with those on opioids, marijuana and alcohol than someone dying while driving.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:56 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 pm
NS8401 wrote:
audiophile wrote:

I would be more concerned with those on opioids, marijuana and alcohol than someone dying while driving.
Totally agree with you there.
When was the last time you heard "fatal accident caused by elderly death at the wheel" ?? Never for me!

Music is my life.

Deleted User 8570

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:03 pm

stopnswop2 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:56 pm
audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 pm
NS8401 wrote:
audiophile wrote:

Totally agree with you there.
When was the last time you heard "fatal accident caused by elderly death at the wheel" ?? Never for me!
Medical emergency accidents happen all the time...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic